“Finally! Some good Mexican food!”
Review of Cantina Del Centro

Cantina Del Centro
Ranked #2 of 100 Restaurants in Nelson
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 24 January 2014

As a former Southwesterner, now Canadian, I find most Mexican food in Canada cringe-worthy. Then I found Cantina del Centro. Tacos al Pastor! Frijoles refritos! Fish & shrimp tacos! All really good. And the drinks are amazing, made with tamarind, or lime & ginger beer, or raspberry juice - try them all!

1  Thank Cbay

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Cantina is my favorite place to eat in Nelson! I had my fourth visit there recently, and they keep getting better. I love how I can be eating and drinking with a few minutes of sitting down. Seriously! The servers are friendly and professional.
My favorite dishes are the chicken quesadilla, meat taco plate, ceviche, guacamole, tostada, and chocolate torte. Everything seems simple, but the flavors are surprisingly complex. The kitchen take cares and pays attention to the little details. The salsas are tasty and let me choose how spicy I want my food.
I do wish the chairs were cushioned. They are fine for a while, but not something I want to sit on for hours. I only review places that stand out and deserve a high rating. They impressed me over and over.

1  Thank TableFourOne
Mezcaleria K, Manager at Cantina Del Centro, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

So glad you came across Cantina del Centro on your way. Hope you had enjoyed Nelson and its surroundings. We are glad to hear that flavors where good...that is what we are aiming for, as per portions, we are working on more generous portions as well as new dishes! Hope to see you around again and thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Lunch on Oct. 20th, 2013
Ordered both the taco specials which were prawn and fish and a bowl of Taco Soup.
The tacos are soft shelled, about 4" across so a nice few bites. Both were excellent!
Served at a perfectly nice temperature, with fresh cilantro, tasted fresh, fresh, fresh!
The taco soup was unique in that the taco bits were served separately so you could add crunch to your soup or eat the crunchy bits on their own.
Sauce was separate so you could add as much heat as you like.
Non alcoholic Hibiscus Agua Fresca, simply heaven!
Nice dishes to eat off, nice service, great food, reasonable cost, convenient location on the main drag, easy parking!!
Highly recommend for a quick, tasty lunch!

Thanks for your awesome review...yes we use fresh ingredients all the time and we are proud to say that. When the weather allows we source local ingredients!

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stopped in here before going for dinner, it was a bit early yet but we were thirsty. We had the best little taco's ever, some home made salsa and chips and beers. Wonderful atmosphere, very friendly staff.

Thanks for your review!

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We had a set of four different tacos and they were all very tasty. The portions could have been slightly larger but the flavors were spot on and the service was stellar. Good drink specials as well and a nice atmosphere for a dinner out on the late side. It's also a plus that this restaurant is open considerably later than some of the other spots in town.

Thanks AT for your review! It definitely help us to get better...we are working on more generous portions as well as new menu items. Hope to see you around Cantina del Centro again!