“Best value in downtown Nelson!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mountain Hound Inn

Mountain Hound Inn
Ranked #3 of 13 Nelson B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Best value in downtown Nelson!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

The Mtn Hound is clean, modern, and right in the middle of everything. This hotel does not have charm or architectural interest but it is very clean and very well priced. The bed was extremely comfortable and effectively counteracted a sore back from 2 days of driving. We found the staff to be both friendly and helpful. Other reviewers have said that the coffee and breakfast wasn't great, but it was better then anything else we received at any other value hotels or motels in the Kootenays. The fresh fruit, muffins and hot coffee were all fresh and free. We even had a view of the lake and mountains, albeit obstructed by other buildings. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It was quiet but I suspect if there were parties or loud kids the walls would not effectively block noise. As with almost any hotel there is someone on site 24 hrs a day to deal with any complaints you may have. The front desk staff were typically friendly (and attractive) for Nelson. I used to stay at the Alpine but I'm a convert, the Mtn Hound just feels more hygienic and the location is the best in town.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank DDubj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Huntley, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

I have to admit I was a bit concerned when we pulled up and saw the office/reception area. It was clean but tiny. We were pleasantly suprised when we headed upstairs to the hotel. The whole place has been stylishly redone. You felt like you were in Vancouver, Seattle or Manhattan in a hip boutique hotel! The hall was painted in a cool gray and neatly placed regional outdoor photography was framed along the walls.

The room was on the small side but was adequate. The room was also stylishly decorated with minimal "fluff". The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet. Bathroom was clean and also appeared to be recently updated. A simple breakfast of delicious oatmeal muffins, fresh fruit and juice was offerred in the morning.

The location is in the heart of Baker street, within easy walking distance of shops, bars and restaraunts. The only drawback to the hotel is parking. There is metered parking in front of the hotel on the main street. This wasn't a problem for us since we weren't planning on staying long during the metered hours (they start up at 9am) but this could add up.

Overall, it was a great place and fantastically priced. We have recommended it and will stay there again when we are in Nelson!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KWT-traveler
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

The Mountain Hut Inn's friendly, accommodating receptionist sets the tone for your stay in a very neat, quiet, clean and recently refurbished room with telephone, TV, a very comfortable large bed and excellent bathroom facilities. (I looked into several rooms in the process of being cleaned and found this to be true for all.) The halls and reception area were likewise neat and clean. Morning's free continental breakfast---juice, coffee/tea, fresh fruit, and muffins--- is excellent. The clientele was friendly. The owner, Dallas, is a likable guy and is (and should be) proud of his inn. I've stayed at the Inn before this recent ski trip to Whitewater and look forward to there again. The price is right and the accommodations are excellent.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Whitehorse, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

if you're looking for a high end hotel, this isn't the place for you but if you've stayed in any hotel before you could probably figure that out from the price. for $70 a night we got a room comparable to anything you'd get a chain hotel (sandman, best western, etc) showers were awesome as were the beds. customer service was awesome. i have no complaints.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rebsirish
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

The rooms have little to crow about — the shower did have endless hothothot water and great pressure — but provide good sleep, easy temperature regulation and the basics. It's cement block construction so nothing fancy here. Good value for the price...arrive late without a reservations and you can dicker some on the price (at least I overheard the front desk gal offering the room for less than advertised)! They'll even pump the meters for you out front and tack it on your bill ($8CAD/day or however long you have them do so) -- but check your bill for the correct charges on that! Continental breakfast is that. Head over to Oso Negro for really good coffee, great local scene and the Egg Sandwich for a tasty morning bite. Best Mocha I've ever had - you heard that right Seattlites!

Room Tip: Crack the window open for circulation, gets stuffy at night with the cement block construction. Nel...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

I recently stayed at the Mountain Hound Inn after a long day of travelling. Each member of the front staff that I met was friendly and answered any questions that I had. A smile always greeted me upon entering the front door. The rooms were very modern and clean and the price was extremely affordable. The hotel is on Baker street, which is in the heart of all the restaurants and shops. My dog was welcomed and breakfast was served in the morning. I loved this hotel so much that I stayed on my way back as well. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Nelson!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

A while ago while I was travelling through Nelson I lost my Iphone, which I had for less than a year, and thought it was gone forever. About a month later, I got a call from the owner of the Mountain Hound Inn, Dallas Wolbaum, saying that he had found it in the laundry room of his hotel and would like to get it back to me. The Iphone had been (likely) stolen and impossible to access, and Dallas went through the trouble to refurbish it, find my number, and contact me. He sent it to me via mail from Nelson to Toronto, where I live, completely free of charge! I was blown away by his generosity. It is not often that someone will go through the trouble of contacting the owner of an expensive Iphone, AND also pay the costs of shipping and handling to get it back to its owner that lives on the other side of the country! My Iphone could probably be sold for a good amount of money, as it is probably worth about $600, so if any other hands found it I probably wouldn't have gotten it back. I was convinced it was a lost cause, and was incredibly impressed with the generosity of this hotel's owner and will absolutely be staying at the Mountain Hound Inn if I ever find myself in Nelson again. (Which I'm sure I will, Nelson is an absolutely beautiful and amazing town)!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends