“Quite disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Nelson
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Quite disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

The hotel itself was very nice, rooms were clean. And the continental breakfast offered the next morning was delicious! Not to mention our server was soo nice!

If you are staying in Nelson and not planning on a night out on the town then I would recommend staying here.

However, I was quite disappointed with my stay when it came to how the front desk treated me. I don't know what the hotel policy is but when I got back to the hotel around 1am the front desk was stopping everyone and not letting anyone in unless they were checked in. My friend was the one that checked us into the hotel while I wasn't there so my name wasn't on the check in list which caused the biggest hassle ever. If that's the policy they should be telling their guests when they check in. Even though I had my own key the lady at the front desk still wouldn't let me up! To my own room that I paid for!! It wasn't until I woke my friend and had her come down and tell them that I was staying in the room with her did they let me up. I will never stay here again, I felt like I was back living at my mom and dads and had to check in with them when I got home. I had my own key, and I'm paying for the room - i think it's only fair that I expect to come and go as I wish. Not be stopped and hassled. Not to mention the lady working was quite rude and made me even more annoyed. I will never stay here again, which is too bad because it is in a good location and the rooms were nice. So disappointed with my stay.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Ryan M, General Manager at Hume Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
I am really sorry that you felt mistreated when you were heading back to your room at 1am. As with many hotels, only registered guests are allowed up to the rooms after 11pm for security reasons. Typically on weekends as well, many people attempt to head up to hotel rooms to continue partying. This is strictly prohibited in our property so it is standard procedure to make sure that this does not happen. We don't want to keep other guests up at night.

Our night auditor does her best to be pleasant to guests and it is sometimes difficult for guests to accept that they can't bring up guests at this time of the night. I can't comment on what was said to you but we truly apologize if you felt that she was being harsh. It can be very difficult to keep tabs on who is going upstairs so that is why we make all guests check-in again to make sure they are in fact registered.

We hope you understand. Thanks for giving us a try.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Issaquah, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

Make sure you are really cold and tired (and hungry!) if you stay at the Hume. The walls between rooms (renovated 4th floor) are paper thin - and with a party going on next door I got no sleep until the party ended about 3:30am. A normal phone conversation in the room on the other side earlier in the day was clearly understandable from my room. Ugh. I also was not able to control the room temperature so I boiled overnight - even with the window open on a cool night.

It wasn't all bad though. Very good dinner in Mike's Place and a FANTASTIC (included) breakfast were the highlights of the stay.

Room Tip: Poor room rating was strictly on noise level from adjacent rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ken H H
I am sorry that you were kept up. We definitely do not condone late night partying in any of our guest rooms. Had you informed the front desk, we could have intervened immediately. I am happy to hear that you were at least satisfied with the meals that you enjoyed onsite. All of our new rooms are being constructed with the best possible sound proofing that we can for this old building.

Thanks for the review.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013 via mobile

The hotel is under renovation but the 2 floors finished are pretty good & it will end up as a charming boutique hotel. Price is reasonable but spend the extra to go to the 4th floor. Restaurant had very good lunch (salad bar & soup good value). Breakfast was including in our room rate & was first rate. Only reason I didn't give 5 stars is because of an offhand front desk response to my reporting that the air conditioning didn't work in our room - I was told it wasn't on on the 4th floor for some reason & why didn't I open the window? Apart from freezing temperature overnight outside there was no indication that the air conditioning unit was off - the power light was on! A polite sorry we'll have it checked out was all I really expected

Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Philip D
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

Honestly, I usually don't sleep well in hotels. I just like my own bed and space. This experience was different! Thank you for a wonderful stay and excellent service, especially from our breakfast server Julie. I will be back to visit your lovely town and establishment. I highly recommend you!

• Stayed April 2013
Coquitlam, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

Several years ago, my husband and I stayed at the Hume Hotel at the suggestion of a work colleague and we were not disappointed. The Hume Hotel is a heritage hotel and we appreciated the vintage nature of the hotel and its furnishings. Very recently, we payed a return visit to Nelson and the Hume Hotel which, we discovered, was in the midst of what seems to be major renovations. We stayed on the fourth floor, where all of the rooms have been renovated, and, despite our appreciation for heritage buildings and furnishings, very much enjoyed both the room and our stay in it. I can honestly say that, of all of the hotels that we have stayed in anywhere, this is one of THE most attractive. Whoever designed the renovations is to be commended as they encompass both good taste and an appreciation of times past. Added to the attractiveness of the hotel is the fact that it is centrally located in Nelson, a very attractive and vibrant mountain community, and that your stay includes a very good hot breakfast. For those who love heritage, I would enquire about heritage rooms which I think might still be available.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the very positive review. We are extremely happy with the way our newly renovated rooms have turned out.. It has been a careful balance of maintaining our heritage integrity while implementing some modern technology that guests expect in today's world. We have been very pleased with local designer, David Dobie, who has been instrumental in achieving this overall look and feel. The rooms have completely enhanced the guest experience.

Thanks for helping to spread the word.
chattaroy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

Everything was great until 9.00pm on a saturday night.The noise was unbearable due to a event that was going on downstairs on april 13th.We happen to be on the second floor that was a big mistake.we will never stay on a weekend night again.But the staff was great and the food was good.

Room Tip: Dont stay when their is a hip hop event going on.And dont stay on the second floor,fourth would be a...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank debbie l
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013

We recently stayed in the newly renovated rooms on the top floor. The upgrade look great and still maintained the charm of this heritage building. The library is a nice place for a drink and snack, but it's too bad they have a club in the basement. Fortunately we didn't hear any noise, it just seems to take away a bit from the atmosphere. But, it probably helps them stay in business and I would hate to see Nelson loose this beautiful building!

Room Tip: Top floor renovations are beautiful!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple