“Best Location, Awesome Renovation”
Review of Hume Hotel & Spa

Hume Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Nelson
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fernie, Canada
“Best Location, Awesome Renovation”
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I recently had the pleasure of spending my anniversary at The Hume Hotel and I can't say enough how much I enjoyed my trip. The staff were amazing, from the lovely front desk ladies to the manager of the hotel. The rooms were beautifully renovated and I highly recommend the upgrade. Thank you so much for everything!

Room Tip: Stay on the 4th floor until it's all completely renovated.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Collingwood, ON
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Stayed at the Hume Hotel for the first time since 1983. Everything was excellent EXCEPT ...DO NOT STAY THERE IF THE BASEMENT NIGHT CLUB IS OPEN. Between the boom, boom, boom, from the basement and the parking lot street fight below our room window, I barely slept. Everything else was fine. This hotel has to clarify its business model: what does it want to be? An upscale boutique hotel OR Nelson's hottest nightclub. YOU CAN'T HAVE BOTH.

P.S. also do not get a massage in the Spa unless you want to be educated by the masseuse ad nauseum on extraterrestrial conspiracy theories. I can't make this up.

Room Tip: Stay on the 4th floor if possible. Our 3rd and 2nd floor rooms were tired.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Kevin N
Ryan M, General Manager at Hume Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Thanks for the review. If 1983 was the last time you stayed here, that was also the last year that we did not have a cabaret in the basement. In 1984, we opened the doors to what was then called 'The Boiler Room'. The Spiritbar is now only open on weekends and various other select dates.

We always tell everyone that on Friday and Saturdays we have a popular pub and nightclub and that we simply can't guarantee quiet rooms on weekends. I checked your reservation and it was noted that you were reminded of this upon making your reservation. We verbally tell everyone this and if reservations are made electronically, it is also mentioned in the confirmation. If this is going to be an issue for anyone, we recommend staying at a quiet property that does not have a bar scene like the Best Western Plus Baker Street Inn which is located 3 blocks away right on Baker and is not burdened by this type of noise ever.

It also appears from your photos that you were staying on the second floor. This past winter, for only $20 more a newly renovated room on the fourth floor could have been rented out. These rooms are definitely our quietest and the farthest away from bar and traffic noise - and they are beautifully redone!

Our sincere apologies about your sleepless night as well as your experience in the spa. That spa no longer exists as it is being converted into new guest rooms on the third floor. We have plans to build a brand new spa in the future. Our next nine deluxe rooms will be available by July 2013. Therefore, this summer nearly 2/3 of our guest rooms will have been completely gutted and renovated.

It sounds like everything else was "great" so it's too bad we got such a low score but we fully understand. We hope you at least come and visit Nelson again in the future.
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 30 April 2013

I stayed at the Hume a couple weekends ago with my husband and son when we were on a short weekend getaway from our home in Spokane. The room renovations they have done are beautiful! Always great service from their staff--we alway enjoy eating at their restaurants too and would recommend this hotel/restaurants to anyone traveling to Nelson.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Every time we stay here my wife and I are always so impressed with their staff, the nicest most accommodating around, and it's great to see the same faces every time we return, clearly they are doing something right to keep them around!

Was pleasantly surprised to find out since we had last been there they just did a complete renovation and put in brand new rooms on the top floors. Super comfy beds, big flat screens, new everything! I think we love Nelson more and more everytime we visit, and it wouldn't be the same if we weren't staying at the Hume.

Oh and be sure to try their Pizza!

Room Tip: Top floors are quietest and newly renovated!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Overall we had a great couple of nights at the Hume. Bear in mind that it is an historic building and that this is it's charm. If you're looking for a "modern" you might look elsewhere, but our second floor room was comfortable and felt authentic for the period with historic photographs and appointments without feeling too rustic... Service was great, especially Julie in the restaurant. The full breakfast included (non just continental, as mentioned in another review) was great. We're likely to stay there again on our next trip to BC!

Room Tip: liked the older rooms on the second floor, didn't look at the newly renovated rooms above.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

The hotel itself was very nice, rooms were clean. And the continental breakfast offered the next morning was delicious! Not to mention our server was soo nice!

If you are staying in Nelson and not planning on a night out on the town then I would recommend staying here.

However, I was quite disappointed with my stay when it came to how the front desk treated me. I don't know what the hotel policy is but when I got back to the hotel around 1am the front desk was stopping everyone and not letting anyone in unless they were checked in. My friend was the one that checked us into the hotel while I wasn't there so my name wasn't on the check in list which caused the biggest hassle ever. If that's the policy they should be telling their guests when they check in. Even though I had my own key the lady at the front desk still wouldn't let me up! To my own room that I paid for!! It wasn't until I woke my friend and had her come down and tell them that I was staying in the room with her did they let me up. I will never stay here again, I felt like I was back living at my mom and dads and had to check in with them when I got home. I had my own key, and I'm paying for the room - i think it's only fair that I expect to come and go as I wish. Not be stopped and hassled. Not to mention the lady working was quite rude and made me even more annoyed. I will never stay here again, which is too bad because it is in a good location and the rooms were nice. So disappointed with my stay.

• Stayed April 2013
Ryan M, General Manager at Hume Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
I am really sorry that you felt mistreated when you were heading back to your room at 1am. As with many hotels, only registered guests are allowed up to the rooms after 11pm for security reasons. Typically on weekends as well, many people attempt to head up to hotel rooms to continue partying. This is strictly prohibited in our property so it is standard procedure to make sure that this does not happen. We don't want to keep other guests up at night.

Our night auditor does her best to be pleasant to guests and it is sometimes difficult for guests to accept that they can't bring up guests at this time of the night. I can't comment on what was said to you but we truly apologize if you felt that she was being harsh. It can be very difficult to keep tabs on who is going upstairs so that is why we make all guests check-in again to make sure they are in fact registered.

We hope you understand. Thanks for giving us a try.
Issaquah, Washington
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Make sure you are really cold and tired (and hungry!) if you stay at the Hume. The walls between rooms (renovated 4th floor) are paper thin - and with a party going on next door I got no sleep until the party ended about 3:30am. A normal phone conversation in the room on the other side earlier in the day was clearly understandable from my room. Ugh. I also was not able to control the room temperature so I boiled overnight - even with the window open on a cool night.

It wasn't all bad though. Very good dinner in Mike's Place and a FANTASTIC (included) breakfast were the highlights of the stay.

Room Tip: Poor room rating was strictly on noise level from adjacent rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ken H H
I am sorry that you were kept up. We definitely do not condone late night partying in any of our guest rooms. Had you informed the front desk, we could have intervened immediately. I am happy to hear that you were at least satisfied with the meals that you enjoyed onsite. All of our new rooms are being constructed with the best possible sound proofing that we can for this old building.

Thanks for the review.