“A welcoming and warm place”
Review of Hume Hotel & Spa

Hume Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Nelson
GreenLeadersSilver level
Nelson, Canada
“A welcoming and warm place”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I haven't stayed in the rooms at this hotel, yet I can say that the staff and restaurant and bars and the hotel itself are all run very well. i have lived in Nelson since 1976, when the Hume was the only place to go for inclusive dancing. I always go to the restaurant when I come back from my very frequent trips to Vancouver and back by Greyhound, which arrives in Nelson at 5:30 or 6:00 am. The staff are always there to greet me and the breakfasts are fast and good with pleasant efficient service. What I like most is the willingness of the staff to go the extra mile; they let me store my heavy bags while I shop for provisions before heading off to my cabin in the woods. It means a lot to me to be given those little extras which they refuse to take money for. The bars which I have gone to with friends a fair amount are also warm and inviting and inclusive with good food and atmosphere. I figure if all those things are good, the accommodations must be as well. For me, over the last 35 years, the Hume has been a very nice place to have around. Recently, they have renovated the entire top floor of rooms. Don't hesitate to stay here.

Room Tip: i am not reviewing rooms; just the general atmosphere and amenities of this hotel. i have not stayed...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank crewby3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Rossland, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed here on a weekend getaway recently. It was the first time visiting this hotel, and we were very impressed, from the moment of check in to check out.
We stayed in the Juliet Suite, which is on the fourth floor, and has a great view of the courthouse and lake and mountains. The room is beautifully decorated, meticulously clean, and very comfortable....the bed was awesome, as was the beautiful and very roomy bathroom. The room is probably in the quietest area of the hotel, since it is far from the pub, and high enough up to limit the amount of road noise. I am a light sleeper....I heard a bit of traffic, but nothing from other rooms.
We ate at the Library restaurant and were also impressed here...the service was friendly and efficient, and the food was surprisingly good - hot and tasty, and the atmosphere was great.
We thought the price was good for the room, which also included breakfast.
We had a great visit, and will recommend this hotel to friends and family!

Room Tip: The suites are a little bigger, and are on the 4th floor, which is quieter. Our room was beautifull...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 12 March 2014

From the moment you walk into this beautiful historic hotel you feel like you are in another world. The staff are amazing and go out of their way to help you. I being a woman of a certain age suffer from hot flashes in the night. They were wonderful and supplied me with a fan to use for my comfort. The food is wonderful the staff always smiling, rooms so clean. When we come into town for business we always stay. I love this hotel and look forward to our mini trips to Nelson so I can stay again. We enjoy quiet evenings in the library with drinks and cards and the beautiful view.
Thank you to the staff for making our stays most adventurous and pleasing. See you soon!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Ryan M, General Manager at Hume Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Hi Barb. I am happy to hear that you were happy with both the accommodations and food. It is not often that people will offer up reviews for both sides of the business and for that we say thank you. The smiling faces of the staff do go a long ways in any business and we are proud of our team. You also mentioned how clean your room is and that is because of the amazing housekeepers we have here keeping this old place shine.

It's an honor to be considered as your favorite hotel.
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My husband and I were in town for one night for a business trip (I was working, husband just 'tagged along'). The Hume came recommended from a co-worker and definitely did not disappoint! The first thing we noticed were the AMAZING staff! Every single member we came in contact with from The Library staff, to the front desk, to housekeeping and the restaurant were so friendly and genuine. My husband had time to kill a few hours in the Pub and absolutely loved it (excellent service, wings and beer!). We had lunch at the Library and it was delicious as well as very reasonably priced. We had a room on the 4th floor which had been completely re-do. All the modern amenities as well as a very comfy bed. Fantastic location to shopping, other restaurants etc. Definitely planning a 'non-business' trip in the summer where we can both enjoy more of what the Hume and Nelson has to offer.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th floor were completely re-do with all modern amenities.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Ryan M, General Manager at Hume Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thanks for such a wonderful review, particularly your mention of our amazing staff who make it all possible. We have the best people working for this company and it's very rewarding to hear of somebody's stay that was a 5 out of 5 in all aspects. Please come back soon!
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We stayed at the Hume Hotel for 3 nights on our first visit to Nelson for a ski holiday. Our room on the top floor was lovely with a huge bed and modern bathroom facilities. However, the room was way too hot (in the middle of winter) and there was no way to separately control the thermostat. This made it very difficult to sleep and we couldn't leave the windows open as there was too much surrounding noise. Other than that the location is great and the service was very good.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
We apologize if your room was too stuffy. Unfortunately during the winter, the air conditioning function of our HVAC units are disabled to make way for heating the building. We do request that if the room is too hot, to open the window even if just for a few minutes to circulate the cool air. It sounds as though this was not a good option for you.

I am happy to hear that you found our location convenient and that the service was excellent. We appreciate the honest feedback.
Spring Lake, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I come into Nelson once a year and need a room before and after heading to Baldface Lodge.
Great town, great people, and the hotel, restaurant and pub at the Hume are excellent!!!
I'll be back!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Room #336 was perfect for 2 guys traveling together - it has 2 queen beds it 2 different rooms separ...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
kelowna
Reviewed 1 March 2014

This is my review

Out of all the hotels I stay at during my business travels, the Hume Hotel in Nelson, is by far my favourite place.

The staff right from Dave and Sheila Martin, through Ryan Martin their son and General Manager are 1st class.

Lorlei the Manager at the Front Desk, Greg the catering manager, and bruce and craig managers of the bar staff, are a hoot to deal with.

• Stayed December 2013
Ryan M, General Manager at Hume Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Thanks BB. You have been one of the most loyal overnight guests we have ever had. It's always a pleasure when you check in and even more fun when we succeed in pulling the odd prank on you...! As a customer, you epitomize loyalty and on behalf of everyone here, thank you.

Now when are we going to get you that DJ gig in the Spiritbar?