“Extremely Bad Contemptuous Service”
Review of Main Street Diner

Main Street Diner
Ranked #19 of 98 Restaurants in Nelson
Kootenay
“Extremely Bad Contemptuous Service”
Reviewed 26 February 2013

The last time my friend and I had dinner at this restaurant, the service was atrocious. We were seated at the front of the restaurant and had to wait half an hour before being given the opportunity to order food. A couple, who were seated after we were, was waited on before us and they had their food fifteen minutes before we got ours.

When my fish and chips were served, I was not asked whether I wanted lemon (And it seems as though they should automatically give it to you, without having to be asked. All restaurants but this one does this.) No one asked whether my food was satisfactory. It was impossible to catch the waiter's attention, so I had to walk behind the bar to ask for more tartar sauce and then again to tell him that the Caesar salad was too peppery.

His response was to contradict me and say, "it's always peppery." So I was forced to argue that I had eaten there several times and never found it to be this bad. He finally conceded to get me another salad. When it arrived, I told him that I wanted it to go (because the service had put me off my food) and he looked contemptuously at me and said, "you eat it here if you want it." Then rather than telling me he would get it for me, he turned away without a word. "If I hadn't been waiting for my friend to finish his food, I would have gotten up and left."

Eventually, the waiter showed up with the salad in a container.

I will never eat at this restaurant again. No one deserves to be treated this way, even if the establishment is busy at lunchtime. Before this experience, I had only eaten here during off hours.

The service you get at Main Street Diner depends largely on unstated discriminatory factors. I would never recommend Main Street Diner to anyone who lives or visits Nelson.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank lastingpeace

West Kelowna
“Exactly what a Diner should be...”
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Quirky service, good music, basic diner decor. Large menu with a focus on Greek food. Tasty food and good sized portions. Good value.

• Visited February 2013
Nelson, British Columbia, Canada
“Old School”
Reviewed 25 January 2013

If you lick the feel of old scjhool dining, then this is the place for you - a blast from the past right on Baker street in the middle of everything

Visited November 2012
Nelson, Canada
“Best diner in town”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

If you are looking for a wide array on the menu with ample space for all party sizes this is it! They have a patio outside, which is a very nice option in the summer.

Visited December 2012
Slocan Park, Canada
“Best Burgers in Nelson and Roast Lamb too!”
Reviewed 28 November 2012

Middle Eastern, burgers, souvlaki, roast lamb, fish & chips; this has been an excellent Nelson eatery for many years, and still holds up as a great place to eat!

Visited November 2012