“Kick back and relax”
Review of Main Street Diner

Main Street Diner
Ranked #16 of 104 Restaurants in Nelson
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Just want a beer on a hot afternoon? This is the place to go. Want pleasant and friendly service? This is the place to go. Want a snack or a full meal? This is the place to go.
Our best recommendation is that we will return.

MainStreetDinerNelso, General Manager at Main Street Diner, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Well I already thanked you by mistake in the review above, we appreciate your endorsement for our establishment.

Catch the patio, mid-day when the sun is shining and have us pour you an icy cold pint of the Nelson Brewery's Harvest Moon Hemp Ale and you will not be disappointed.

See you next time. (and thanks Hilary D for the kind review ^^)

Reviewed 2 May 2013

We had a great lunch at the Main Street Diner. We arrived shortly after noon and found that there was ample seating. The diner did fill up quickly but the lone waiter did a great job at serving all the tables. I had the soup and sandwich lunch special. It was $9.75 and I got a delicious fresh egg salad sandwich, a bowl of chicken potato soup (very yummy) and homemade fries. It was very filling. My husband ordered a burger and was very pleased as well. The waiter was very attentive even though there were seven other tables he was waiting on.

This is a very popular restaurant. In the summer it fills up quickly so you should expect to wait to get a table. On a Wednesday at the beginning of May it was great. One of the nice things that this restaurant offers is outside seating. In the middle of a hot Kootenay summer its a great place to eat.

I would recommend this restaurant. Good food and good service.

Reviewed 26 February 2013

The last time my friend and I had dinner at this restaurant, the service was atrocious. We were seated at the front of the restaurant and had to wait half an hour before being given the opportunity to order food. A couple, who were seated after we were, was waited on before us and they had their food fifteen minutes before we got ours.

When my fish and chips were served, I was not asked whether I wanted lemon (And it seems as though they should automatically give it to you, without having to be asked. All restaurants but this one does this.) No one asked whether my food was satisfactory. It was impossible to catch the waiter's attention, so I had to walk behind the bar to ask for more tartar sauce and then again to tell him that the Caesar salad was too peppery.

His response was to contradict me and say, "it's always peppery." So I was forced to argue that I had eaten there several times and never found it to be this bad. He finally conceded to get me another salad. When it arrived, I told him that I wanted it to go (because the service had put me off my food) and he looked contemptuously at me and said, "you eat it here if you want it." Then rather than telling me he would get it for me, he turned away without a word. "If I hadn't been waiting for my friend to finish his food, I would have gotten up and left."

Eventually, the waiter showed up with the salad in a container.

I will never eat at this restaurant again. No one deserves to be treated this way, even if the establishment is busy at lunchtime. Before this experience, I had only eaten here during off hours.

The service you get at Main Street Diner depends largely on unstated discriminatory factors. I would never recommend Main Street Diner to anyone who lives or visits Nelson.

1  Thank lastingpeace
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Quirky service, good music, basic diner decor. Large menu with a focus on Greek food. Tasty food and good sized portions. Good value.

Reviewed 25 January 2013

If you lick the feel of old scjhool dining, then this is the place for you - a blast from the past right on Baker street in the middle of everything