“Nice place!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mission
BC
“Nice place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2010

Spent 2 nights on work travel and had a nice stay. Room and common areas were very clean. I was on the 2nd floor and it was quiet and no smell of smoke. Bed was very comfortable. The climate control in the room worked great. Free wireless Internet worked great too. Room had a small fridge, microwave and coffee maker.
The ladies on the front desk were very friendly and helpful. Free coffee in the lobby in the morning, but they charge for the breakfast bar.
Had a couple of drinks with colleagues in the lounge/restaurant. It was a nice atmosphere and friendly staff. The meals did look a bit pricey, though.
Pool looked nice, but unfortunately I didn't have time to enjoy it!
Overall a good place and I would stay again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank 10161

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Courtenay, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2010

Check in was OK...did not have the room I had reserved so my teenager and I have to share a bed, glad she is a girl! The resturant attached is very loud and expensive. Rooms are worn looking. Our room was freezing when we got in a smelled of smoke. I guess they were airing it out! This is supposed to be a non smoking hotel. Beds were comfortable. The gym is horrible! My morning workouts are very important to me. If they are to you also then hope for sunny weather to run outside! The universal gym is broken. I sat on the bench an nearly fell off as the bench is only partly attached. There is a bike, treadmill, and eliptical all squeezed into a maybe 5X10 room. There is no air and only a small fan on the floor that was so covered in dust that it barely worked. There is no room on the floor to do a sit up or push up. There is no disifectant to clean the equipment when you are done...would hate to think of how long it has been since it was cleaned! There were no towels in the towel rack between the pool and the "exercise" room. Breakfast is interesting. The breakfast room was dirty, not a table was clean. There was food all over the floor under the tables. They charge you for breakfast...always thought that Best Western had a comp breakfast. There were no bowls for cereal, no spoons..we had to stand around and wait to ask for these. Really small glass of OJ and milk, 2 bowls (very small bowls) of dry cereal for 6$$. Sad for me, I have to stay here for another night. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank Candi71
TBTL9, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Plus Mission City Lodge, responded to this review, 27 May 2010
Dear Candi71,

I apologize the bench in the exercise room. There was indeed a loose screw on the bench, and the maintenance staff has since fixed it. The exercise room is not meant to have space to do pushups and sit-ups, unfortunately. We stock anywhere from 20 to 30 pool towels near the exercise room daily, and have more at the front desk if needed. Sanitary wipes are also available at the front desk across the exercise and pool room.

I also apologize for you not getting the room you believed you reserved. However, we did not downgrade anyone in your room. Every room type that was reserved for your group was explicitly known by the group leader ahead of time. Every room type that was reserved by your group was exactly what the rooming list states, which was reviewed and signed by the group leader who made the reservation. If you were unhappy with the room type that was reserved for you by your group, we would've been happy to upgrade you to a different room if it was available. We did not change anything in your group reservation.

Finally, I apologize for the state of the breakfast bar at the time you visited. We always try to clean up as fast as we could, however, as with large groups who come and have breakfasts, we fell behind. I am truly sorry for this, and we will try harder to keep up with the demands of large groups, by having more staff during those times. Our continental breakfast bowls and glasses are indeed small (8oz), however, it is also a buffet, and you were welcomed to seconds or thirds, or more.

We truly do try to make the experience at the hotel a very good one for all guests, and hope you return in the future.

Chester Huan
Best Western Mission City Lodge
Princeton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2010

My wife and I booked our room online, despite some of the negative reviews that I read - and I'm glad we weren't deterred. We got a very reasonable price for a really nice clean large room (with a fireplace) for a weekend conference we were attending in Mission.

Google maps got us there and the gals at the check-in were just excellent and sweet as can be. (Also as an added bonus during check-in we were given a coupon for a free appetizer at the restaurant.) Had a great meal at the restaurant that evening and again it was all just perfect until breakfast time.

If there was anything that could be worked on I'd say the prepared foods at the Breakfast Bar. Unquestionably the worst cheese omelet I've ever had, so I went back and got a big muffin instead. Actually I was warned about the Breakfast Bar by a couple of the other guests outside, and on this one - we really should have listened. ( If you need omelets and bacon and eggs and all that stuff just go to Denny's or ABC or someplace else!)

Not really into big breakfast anyway, so a crappy omelet didn't have a bad affect on a really nice stay. I'd go back to this hotel again no problem at all and have a continental breakfast. ALL GOOD!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank PrincetonRedhawk
Courtenay
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2010

I am a very easy going person. It doesn't take much at all to please me, and I'll let a lot of things slide. So when I say that this was the most disgusting, disappointing, despicable hotel I have ever been to, I don't say it lightly. I really mean it.
The staff was rude, the rooms was dirty, the breakfast bar gave us food poisoning, the pool was filthy, the halls smelled of cigarette smoke (even though we were on a non-smoking floor and I am allergic to cigarette smoke), and the pillows and sheets had most likely not been changed as we found hair and grit all through the bed.
Though they have many "amenities" they are mostly in disrepair.
Do NOT stay here.
Ever.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jonnyswifey
TBTL9, Manager at BEST WESTERN Plus Mission City Lodge, responded to this review, 17 February 2010
Here at the Best Western Mission City Lodge, I can assure you that our staff is not rude, nor our rooms dirty. We always strive for excellence in customer service and try our best to please everyone that comes through our doors.
This reviewer's statement about the breakfast bar, the pool and amenities in disrepair, and the condition of the rooms are untrue and unfair. Our hotel is 100% non smoking and strictly enforce this rule. I am proud of my staff and the work that they do. Our rooms are kept at very high standards, and we work hard to keep it that way.
Vancouver Island
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2010

I stayed at the Mission City lodge with my in-laws while attending my wife's grandfather's funeral. I arrived with my wife and her sister after her parents had already checked in. Although we were all carrying bags and were there to stay, we were not greeted. One manager was helping a guest while the other stood in the background staring blankly at a screen.
We found our room by calling our inlaws. The room was decent, despite some cigarette burns in the sheets (in a non-smoking room).
It was when we went to the pool that the horror show began. There was a pile of used bandages with some orange stains lying next to the hot tub. We informed a staff member who looked at us blankly, picked up the pile and sanitized where it was lying. The pool was not closed and we observed other guests going into the pool.
The room cleaning staff came to clean the room at 9am. We asked them to come back later but when we got back to our room at 7pm the room had not been cleaned nor were there clean towels.
The absolute worst part of the stay was the breakfast in the Breakfast Room. They offered a continental and hot breakfast. We ordered a hot breakfast that came with hash browns, eggs and a choice of bacon or sausage.
The toast tasted vaguely of fish. The 'hashbrowns' were greasy, stale and looked like mincemeat. One of my three sausages was cooked to the point of being inedible. My sister in law had two sausages also overcooked into briquettes. The omelets were microwaved and filled with cheese whiz. Although the breakfast was $7, it was not anything close to real food and several members of our party became ill.
From when we first arrived to when we checked out, we were disappointed, disgusted and disillusioned. I will personally never stay at another Best Western hotel. My $156 per night would have been much better spent at a motel where I did not feel as if my health was being threatened by incompetence and apathy.
Please do not stay at this hotel and warn others of the horror that awaits them at the Best Western Mission City Lodge.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank mycatnora
TBTL9, manager at BEST WESTERN Plus Mission City Lodge, responded to this review, 17 February 2010
I am a manager at the Best Western Mission City Lodge, and I assure you that we always strive for excellence in customer service, and upkeep our property very well.
To address the issues by the reviewer:
There is only one front desk agent on duty at a time. When informed about a band-aid by the side of the pool, my staff immediately cleaned and sanitized the area. We did not feel the necessity to close the pool for the day, as the area was sanitized. Our hotel is 100% non smoking, and strictly enforce this rule. The sheets in the room of this particular reviewer was brand new. We know this since we've recently changed all our bedding including mattresses at the time the reviewer stayed with us. We were also unable to clean this guest's room for that day because the "do not disturb" sign was left on the door, and wanted to follow their request. We have also never had a complaint from the breakfast bar. Our room rates at the time were also not $156, and was significantly less.
I feel that the review is unfair in many cases. Our staff works very hard to give each guest the best experience possible.
happyoladygodiva
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2007

I would just like to say that I had a fantastic experience at this hotel. The front desk girls were absolutely amazing and were a great help in helping us find our way through Mission. The rooms were clean and very reasonably priced. I would reccomend this hotel to any of my friends because it was very pleasant. The restaurant too was wonderful.

• Liked — The cleanliness and staff
  • Disliked — Internet..
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Penticton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2007

My family booked a one night stay at this hotel in order to attend a function in Mission. As stated in other reviews, this property is only 5 or 6 years old. Some of the equipment in the exercise room was out of order, as was the pop machine on the first floor. What was very apparent, from the moment you walked in the door was the lack of pride the owners take in their establishment. The smell and (lack of) cleanliness speak volumes. While checking into our room, another guest asked whether or not it was "possible to drive up to the Abbey". Westminster Abbey is probably the most recognized attraction in Mission. The clerk at the counter had no idea how to direct this tourist to the Abbey, having previously lived in Mission for 10 years, I stepped in and played city ambassador. Our non-smoking room was located on the 4th floor and contained a queen size bed and a fold out couch. The carpets were absolutely filthy. Cigarette burns and black stains all over the floor. The room (and hallway) smelled of stale smoke, which I would judge came up from the smoking floor below. The fold out couch looked like it had lived some hard miles. Something you would see on the side of the road during the annual "Spring clean" garbage pick-up. Full of stains and bowed in the center. I pulled out the bed as this was where my daughter would be sleeping that evening and was disgusted to see the amount of dirt that fell out. Looking on the floor under the couch was a much larger collection of dirt and crumbs. My 12 year old daughter's comment, "oooh gross". Luckily, the couch did not contain any sheets. A look around the room determined that a call to housekeeping was necessary. In the morning, I asked my husband if he wanted to go for a swim in the indoor pool. His response was that given that the same people that were in charge of keeping the hotel clean are the same people that are in charge of the pool, not on your life. I would not recommend this Best Western to anyone. Usually, staying with a chain you can count on at least a clean room. Do yourself a favour and stay across the bridge in Abbotsford (a 15 minute drive) or a local Bed & Breakfast. This motel is walking distance from my employers training facility. I can tell you I will be driving across the bridge instead.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank VLM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mission
BEST WESTERN PLUS Regency Inn & Conference Centre
BEST WESTERN Maple Ridge Hotel
BEST WESTERN PLUS Country Meadows Inn
Super 8 Abbotsford BC
Super 8 Abbotsford BC
#5 of 13 in Abbotsford
Coast Abbotsford Hotel & Suites
Sandman Hotel & Suites Abbotsford

Been to BEST WESTERN Plus Mission City Lodge? Share your experiences!