“Great value, clean and quiet”
Review of Sportsman's Motel

Sportsman's Motel
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Merritt
Canada
“Great value, clean and quiet”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We have stayed here off and on for many, many years. The motel has always been clean, beds relatively comfortable and very affordable. It is conveniently located right off the highway yet also close to down town. The towels may be a bit threadbare but the shower is fine and the water is hot and plentiful.Also free Wi Fi!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carrie808

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
british columbia
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Glad I didn't.....Got into Merritt This past Saturday afternoon for a weekend of racing. Booked on their website because of the price as Merritt is only 2 hours from home- anything more expensive, I would just drive home after the races and return the next morning. I did not receive an e-mail confirmation but I figured I would try anyhow. I got to the office around 11:30 am, no booking but I was given a room at the advertised price and was told it was available right away. I said I would come back in the evening and settle in...paid for the room and was given the key. Upon returning from the days activities and dinner afterwards I went to my room. To my surprise, the key turned the lock but the door was locked from the inside and someone inside said the room was taken.
I went to the office and after being buzzed in , 10pm, I was told by the same lady that rented me the room that she stepped out for a while and the person watching the desk gave my room to someone else. I am glad I did not leave my belongings in the room. I was told that they had no more rooms and then was looked at with a blank stare.
I asked for my money and after a couple minutes of searching, it was returned. I have never been in this situation and hope it never happens again. After driving around town only to find all of the hotels were booked it was now 11:30pm...too late to drive home so I slept in my truck...poorly...it was below zero when I got up at 6am....

I will tell anyone who will listen-do not patronize this place! I never saw the rooms so I can't comment on that but the owners (self run) have no idea what they are doing when it comes to being in the service industry. Shame on you!!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank curtwill

Travellers are raving about these Merritt hotels

Toronto
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Thanks goodness we were here only for a night. One lamp was not working and the lady tried to fix it and still not working. This place needs a major clean up/renovation. Everything there is so old and when we walked in our room, it smelled really musty. The shower was too hot and did not really adjust properly. The lady tried to be accomodating but what can you do if the problem was really structural. I was reading other people's post of being adverstised as $49. But we paid more than that, as we did not have a reservation and she told me that we were getting a good deal. We will never stay here and we were so desparate to just crash for the day as we had been driving for nearly 12 hours.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank luvtomovetosouthwest
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We choose this motel simply because it's the cheapest and the only pet friendly motel of the area . Without reading trip advisor's review first, I now regret about my choice VERY MUCH.

First of all, the lady in reception didn't welcome you at all, she was rude and cool, she mumbled most of the time and I really did't understand her talking at all.
The room was old and outdated, with a wired smell, feel like they overuse perfume and trying to cover the musty smell. I don't even wanna recall.

Moreover, the outdoor pool was abandoned, even a 30 degree summer day, they didn't even bother to wash it and make it operational. The abandoned pool in front of everyone's door was the creepiest thing to see in dark. We had no choice but need to kept window curtains closed all the time, the room light was also dim enough to make me sick.

Worst memory in my life.

Me and my boyfriend did not sleep well at all. We left 8:30 in the morning and don't wanna come back EVER again!

Be prepare if you choose this motel during your trip, it may ruin your relax happy mood. Rather spend more money and stay at Best Western beside it. Definitely not worth the money spent here.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tomattoo
Reviewed 25 May 2011

Our price was higher than the advertised price. We asked for a kitchenette and were given a hotplate with one pot. No dishes, no silverware, nothing else. The power cable for the hotplate has to run through the sink to plug in.

The televsion is tiny and has a horrible shaky picture.

The cleaning girl was very friendly, but the owner's wife was extremely rude. It was as though we were inconveniencing her telephone call by asking if we could use the laundromat (which is incredibly dirty).

The place has a run down feel and is not very clean. It is on a main road right next to a hospital emergency so it is not very quiet either.

I would never stay here again. Awful Awful Awful.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank melnychuk
maple ridge
Reviewed 15 November 2010

I was supposed to stay three nights but only stayed one and I wish I could take that one back. Hospitality was non-existent. Lady at the front desk was rude, in pijamas all day and either wearing slippers that revealed the ugliest toes and feet I've ever seen or went barefoot. No, really! She went walking around across the parking lot and went room to room in bare freakin' feet. In November? C'mon. Really! No, and I mean NO hot water. Bed was so saggy I got up with a kinked spine. One packet of instant coffee for two people for tree nights.. Are little packets of instant coffee that expensive that they are rationed? I heard mice gnawing within the walls as I laid in bed. Notice I didn't say sleep. I was so upset at these people that if I didn't leave my credit card number I would have smashed some walls, torn a mattress(not that it would make a difference) or pissed on the "carpet" or somewhere in the room just to get them back from bulls@*#ing us. Room was advertised at $49 but I was billed at $65. To make things simple, Run, run, run away as fast as you can...ps. Her brand new Cadillac in front of the motel office is paid for by the $ she scams from you and I. Go elsewhere and let's keep her in bare feet for real!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MapleRidgeGimp
Reviewed 15 November 2010

Even tho they say 'unbeatable price $49.00' they don't tell you it is for a single occupant. Having no other choice but to stay in a hotel that night we opted to stay there. The room wasn't the greatest. We asked if they had kitchenettes and she kinda just say 'hmmm sort of' even though it is advertised as having them??? There was a small fridge, microwave a couple of mugs/glasses, 3 pgks of instant coffee, whitener and sugar, 2 pieces of kleenex in the kleenex box. Being NOVEMBER it was a bit chilly. The room was ICE cold. Being so cheap as they are, they had one piddley electric baseboard heater that took 4 hours to make it 'comfortable'. The hot water took 3 hours to heat up. The front desk person was not very friendly and for paying over 60 bucks a night one would hope to get at least a decent room/service. It is an old place. But old doesn't mean it has to be cold, stinky, run down and the customer treated like dirt. We were going to stay an extra night but would rather sleep in a tent in minus 15 then stay there. We went for a quick drive and found the Double D Inn. They are under new management and doing more renos etc. That too is old, but it is CLEAN, FRIENDLY, and for the around the same rate got a kitchenette with a JAR of instant coffee, JAR of whitener, TEA BAGS, coffee machine, toaster, (stove/oven,fridge). The suite even had an extra room with a Qbed. And there is a river that runs through the back of the lot - very nice! I would stay at the Double D again, but NEVER at the Sportsman in Merritt!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple