“Hangout for locals”
Review of Coldwater Cafe

Coldwater Cafe
Ranked #19 of 44 Restaurants in Merritt
Reviewed 28 December 2012 via mobile

This restaurant is very classic Canadian, almost retro actually. The kind of place you would never find in any big city. Everyone seemed to know each other and that made it seem like it was a hangout for locals, which is usually considered a good sign. On the menu are things like all day breakfast, burgers, club sandwiches, etc. One of our party had the chili and pronounced it "wonderful". We will be back.

There are newer reviews for Coldwater Cafe

Reviewed 2 October 2012

A great little eatery. Good food (and plenty of it), good service, nice atmosphere, and a quality experience. Very quaint.

1  Thank CanadianCycleTravel
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I think this is the second time I have ever stopped by in Merritt, this time it was for a lunch break en route to Penticton. Not having anytime to check TripAdvisor was my first mistake. I think of myself as well traveled and will eat almost anything and anywhere, from dives in the downtown eastside of Vancouver to the back alleys of Thailand. So how bad can a diner be in Merritt? I walked into the place not expecting much and that that was basically what I got.

Service was a bit slow, much like the non-renovated 70's decor, but I was hungry ....
My wife had Chicken Strips that looked like processed and thawed chicken formed into "strips", I had a burger that was very plain with a limp piece of lettuce and a partially toasted bun?

This experience was not a total write off, the onion rings I had were actually pretty good! Very much like A&W onion rings (I am not being sarcastic here, as I really like A&W onion rings).

Reviewed 22 May 2012

Merritt is an oasis on a long cross country trip. Usually we stop at the visitors center on the highway but this time we wanted more than a snack. The Coldwater Hotel is right down town a short drive off the intersection and you can't miss it. It's a big old fashioned cowboy style hotel on the corner of the street with covered walkways and you'd expect horses to be hitched up outside. Today it is a little tired looking but is full of atmosphere. Check out the saloon with its wonderful ceiling.Look for a plaque that lets you know the Dixie Chicks were here. It is a country music Mecca in the summer.
But it seems most people come here for breakfast which is served til way past lunchtime. I asked what was their most popular food and was told it was the baron. Well I had the baron of beef dip sandwich and think it was the best I've ever had. Very thinly sliced,moist and hardly any fat at all, with delicious gravy au juice. The three other members of our party had different breakfast dishes. All huge helpings with wonderfully fluffy pancakes and crispy waffles. Much better than the highway snack shack.

Reviewed 29 September 2011

We were impressed. Huge portions, decent price and very yummy. Service was very good.
We would definitely go back. We also got a "second meal half price" coupon from the Claybanks RV Park when we checked in.