“Good bye Dear Skagit”
Review of Skagit Motor Inn

Skagit Motor Inn
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Hope
Reviewed 12 July 2011

During the past five yeas of travelling back and forth between the interior and the lower mainland we frequently stay the night in Hope. A great little community with tons of aging motels. Probably a throwback to the days before the Coquihalla Highway was built putting a lot of traffic away from the old Fraser highway town access. We always stayed at the Skagit Motel, as it is clean, and nicely off the highway. But the main reason was value. This is a 70 dollar a night motel. And for that it is good value, but when stopping in just this week, my mouth dropped when the owner now demanded $115 for the night. I guess he didn't remember me as he stated that his rates were very reasonable. Needless to say I went over to the Travelodge and enjoyed a nice evening for $90.00. Hope is a town full of old tired motels. Even in summer for the casual traveller, one would not expect to pay excess rates for old walls, mattresses and tired furniture. The competition is too great at the 80-90 dollar point. A real shame. I liked the Skagit

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Crushed_Tilley_Hat

Reviewed 20 January 2011

We stay a night here with our 8 year old nephew last summer and had a good, old fashioned motel experience. you can walk to downtown Hope from the motel yet it is far enough away from the highway and town to get some peace and quiet.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank seasidehomeandgarden
Reviewed 22 November 2010

we arrived here on a november night. cold outside (5 degrees ceelcius) looking for a warm room. the room was 5 degrees when we got in. called the front desk said it would be warm in 15 minutes. an hour later, after wrapping in blankets to stay warm, keeping our coats on, the manager argued that it would warm up. I'm sure it would - at 2 AM! I wanted a warm room now, not in 3 hours! we wanted a refund so we could move to a warm hotel. he offered 10$! we settled for $20. Keep in mind - we paid 98$ for this room. it may be acceptable accommodations in summer, the room was certainly clean, but DO NOT stay here in winter, or if it is cold, if you want to be warm!

• Stayed: November 2010
1  Thank DorisBH
Reviewed 1 August 2010

The price was a little high but the room was great. Very clean rooms with a comfortable bed. Owner was not rude. Parking right in front of your room with enormous trees in the lot. Close to downtown and very quiet setting.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thetravlor
Reviewed 15 June 2010

What I like about the Skagit Motor Inn !
1.No highway noise .
2.Camera's on the parking lot .
3.Park in front of your suite.
4.Good sizeJacuzzi .
5.Price - $98.00 per night in the month of June.
6.They run a tight ship (very clean )
A. Could use with an upgrade on there TV's
I have stayed there a few times and rooms have always been clean !
Over all , " Good bang for the buck "

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Roadtrips154943
Reviewed 24 August 2009

Maybe this is a great place to stay. Maybe it's quiet. Maybe it has great rooms.... but none of that matters when you're greeted by a man with the most ridiculously rude attitude that side of the Great Divide. My family and I decided to have a stopover in Hope and had enough time to shop around and try and find something good but not too expensive. We went by the Skagit and my husband jumped out of the car to check the rate. After inspecting our vehicle from inside the 'host' and I use that term very losely, quoted him $108 per night. We decided to take our two year old to the park to strech her legs after 8 hours before it got dark out and came back not even 20 minutes later. I went in as my husband was taking care of some toddler business, and I was quoted, for the same room, $118. I mentioned that he had just quoted $108 to my husband for the same room (the $10 extra bucks was not a big deal, I just don't like being worked because I'm a woman), I would have been happy to pay it. He threw the key at me and commanded me to go look at the room and stop asking for price. I found this a little odd, but was still not ready to walk away. As I was about to take the key and go to the room, he yelled at me "Why you keep asking about price? What does price have to do with it? Why are you coming here? There are many cheap hotels in Hope?" This tirade started completely unprovoked, and the other couple that was checking in at the time, looked at me like they had just fallen into the twilight zone. I was very calm and polite and didn't raise my voice for a nanosecond, however that was the tirade that broke the camels back at which point I handed him the keys he had thrown at me and wished him a fabulous day and went to get another hotel. As I was walking out, the gentleman who had already checked in, looked at me and sympathetically said "That's quite the attitude he has?" I agreed, left and found a great hotel at $80 per night with a very kind owner, who was polite and a pleasure to deal with.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Mountain M
Reviewed 21 May 2009

A number of highways converge at Hope, making it a good place to stop for the night, but the highway traffic is quite noisy. This motel bills itself as "The Quiet Place" and it's true. It's nestled in a residential area with a nice playground and field within walking distance, as well as a few shops, restaurants, and a grocery store.

The rooms, buildings, and property are clean and well maintained and the service is great. We stayed there on our first family trip to the BC interior and have been back several times. No frills, but good prices and a great place for an overnight stop.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family