“Owners could do some upgrades and make this a great place to stay, but.....”

Canadas Best Value Inn - Hope
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Hope
Reviewed 26 September 2013

The folks who run this place are very nice and always welcoming--we travel thru Hope quite often and have stayed here several times. This time, however, I really felt I should review them. We were given room 227, which was great! They gave it to us at the single queen bed rate for this time of year, which was $65. It has a king-size bed and is very roomy. Any, since it isn't located in the building to the rear of the lobby building--where the crews usually stay---it "should" have been quiet. NOT! The manager's private area is very close and unfortunately, it appeared they allowed children to run up and down the hall outside our doors until 12:30 a.m. So we didn't get to sleep until after that hour. What a disappointment!!!
Now, about that king-size bed (and any of the queen-size beds we've previously used): These are basic quality beds. That means they aren't broke down, but their "padding" is minimal. If you need a bed that is supportive--this is it. But if you need a bed that is supportive AND also somewhat padded so you don't get sore spots from pressure points that are against a hard bed--these beds aren't for you. I always wake up sore. But this is a problem the managers could solve very easily. Many motels are upgrading their beds by putting on the foam mattress toppers (such as the ones that Costco sells) and the difference is heavenly.
If these managers would do the same with the beds--and enact some kind of curfew on the kids running up and down the hall (they weren't shouting or anything--just tromping up and down and giggling), this place would be hard to beat.
We've always found it nice and clean. Would be nice if they offered a decent continental breakfast but they offer nothing. We can do without that, but it is still a nice touch.

Room Tip: Try to be in the main building and hope the kids aren't running around until midnight...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this motel for 2 nights on 1st floor. Balcony had superb mountain view. Staff was very friendly. 15 mins after check in I got call from reception to confirm that if everything ok in the room. Staff guide me for local attractions. It was good experience.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Stayed only one night - bed sheet was dirty - stains of something disgusting. there were two used hand towels hanging off the rail in the bathroom.
Our room was in the basement by the pool - you could hear a little waterfall when someone flushed the toilet from upstairs.

staff super kind, but cleanliness poor.

Room Tip: If you have no other choice than to stay here, ask for room not in the basement (this overlooks main...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Natalia p
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I stayed there with my family and had two rooms booked . Rooms were ready on the time of arrival & Staff was very friendly and accomodating .
Rooms were very nice and comfortable . I would highly recommend this motel.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We had stayed at the Maple Leaf a number of years ago so were quite unprepared for the uncomfortable experience this turned out to be.

We were given a basement room right next to the pool with a window at road level looking onto the main driveway. Exactly why we were tucked into this awful hole is unclear since it did not appear the motel was anywhere near full on this Monday evening in the second week of September.

At first glance, the room doesn't appear to be too bad. It is a good size and contains a refrigerator and microwave, as well as a coffee maker. Free wifi is advertised. It doesn't take long for the flaws to become apparent, however.

When I first signed onto the internet, I connected easily. Then I clicked on a link for a flight special that was due to end that night, and waited. And waited. Two hours later something came back to life and the page completed its loading. Needless to say, trying to research the next part of our trip was hopeless.

In the meantime, a young lady (presumably a daughter as this appeared to be a family-run business) came to our room with a mis-matched coffee mug, as only one mug had been provided. When we asked if there was a problem with the internet, she grabbed my MacBook Air (no permission asked or given) and began shutting open programs in an attempt to "find the internet connector". After poking at keys for many minutes she declared there was internet - and there was, for about 30 seconds - just enough for her to leave the room.

There is a toilet and bathtub/shower in the bathroom in reasonable condition. The door opens slightly more than 45 degrees before jamming against the floor.

The sink is on the other side of the bathroom wall hidden by the microwave is on the counter next to it.

The main door to the room also jams against the floor.

In spite of the size of the room, the bed is situated against the corner so that access is only available on one side, or from the bottom of the bed.

The bed itself was sad. Very sad. Draw a large breath and it squeaks. The bedspread was limp, the bottom sheets were fitted but so thin/worn that when I drew the bedspread back, the bottom sheet came with it.

The sound of water draining from another location indicated that the pipes came through our room, next to the sink.

No tissues or hair dryer are provided.

I really didn't want to touch anything as this is the sort of place that gives you the feeling that cleanliness is not a priority. I couldn't bring myself to sit on the stained couch.

Overall the impression is that current management is out of its depth. Perhaps they will learn.

Room Tip: The basement is not recommended.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank lasbris
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I stayed in this motel located at very convenient place. I found that the staff members were really professional and helpful. The beds were so clean that I didn't feel I am staying outside of my home. It was homely stay. The service was prompt and courteous. Bathrooms were clean and tidy.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 September 2013

My hubby works out of town and stays at a lot of dodgy places booked thru their company to save money.... Let me tell you, this place takes the Nasty Cake!!! I decided to take our one year old and stay with hubby for the weekend...We checked in late, (approx 830 pm w/ advanced reservations) the did not have a kitchenette available, so we took a king for the weekend, and his plan was to switch to a kitchenette when it came up... Anyway, after checking into our "clean room" we started unpacking. I actually made my husband check for bed bugs because I was that concerned about the dishevelled state of the hotel. Thankfully there was none...He gets up at 430 for work ,so we start to get ready for bed, whips the blanket back, and there is a COME STAIN on THE "CLEAN" SHEETS, and DROOL and FOOD on the "CLEAN" PILLOWCASES.. I made my hubby phone front desk immediately, and rather than offer us a new clean room, they made us stand there for 20 minutes while the giggled and changed all of the bedding. I was disgusted, but my hubby had to work in six hours, so I sucked it up and tried to sleep. The next morning, I went to use the washroom, and discovered the toilet seat was actually broken in half (see pictures) My hubby was at work at this point, and I know I would have lost it if I called the front desk, so I decided to wait until I had my cup of crappy motel coffee..... I took one look at the coffee maker and pot and decided for my safety, I needed to clean it myself... so I fill the carafe, put the water in the coffee make, put the coffee in, and GUESS WHAT?? the pot doesnt fit with the coffee maker? no wonder it was placed oddly beside!!! SOOOO I get proactive and decide to brew t directly into the mug (i needed coffee at this point) that is until I saw the unwashed coffee mugs with coffee stains around the rims :) this is when I decided to pack the baby up and go to Tim Hortons. I also spent the majority of the rest of the day playing in the car with my toddler because I didnt want to go back to the room. When we went to check out (we stayed two nights) they tried to charge us $10 more per night than originally quoted, so I brought up the fact our room was in shambles when we checked in, (remember the cum stains, and broken toilet seat etc) and they actually refused to comp the first night. After me explaining to them that it is their job to provide us clean accommodation, and that they should know the conditions of the room before renting it out, the comped the first night, but charged my husband $20 more than the original quoted price per night. The staff are rude and the rooms are disgusting! I'D RATHER SLEEP IN MY CAR!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family