“Clean and bright”
Review of The River Cafe - CLOSED

The River Cafe
Cuisines: Canadian
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Bright and clean restuarnt. Interesting decor and a good variety of foods. Easy access from the main road. Lots of parking.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

The location of the river is nice but the decor is a bit tired. OK cappuccino's and nice pie. You have to pay for a coffee refill, which we found strange.

Reviewed 11 June 2012

We chose this place as it was the first stop in our drive from Vancouver to Ashcroft and I was starving. If you can wait a bit, there are a lot of cafes on HWY 1 but cannot comment on these at this point.

River Cafe is a bit depressing and did not smell super fresh. (My husband noticed neither of these) There were two 'help yourself' coffee urns and the coffee in one was barely warm, not hot.

That is all the negative. However, the breakfasts were good. The service was decent. (She tried to address coffee tremperature issue) and of course it was quite affordable at $7.50 per person.

I had two eggs with sausage patty, home fries and multi grain toast. It was all yummy. Thje potatoes were especially good.

Alan had pancakes with bumble berry topping and maple syrup with a side of bacon and was satisfied.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

In fairness to the River Cafe, my partner and i did enjoy breakfast there one morning. That said, supper was a whole different ballgame. My partner ordered the burger and fries and the said the burger was good. The fries though had a peculiar "woolly" texture to them that made for unpleasant eating. I ordered the Reuben sandwich, which was also very good but with the same woolly textured fries which I found inedible.
I also ordered a glass of milk to drink, then watched in astonishment as the waitress (later I found out it was actually the owner) watered down my milk. I would say that the ratio of milk to water was 1:3 and obviously it tasted, well, like water. To her credit she did try to prevent me from seeing what she did, but was acting so oddly that I made a point of watching to see what she was doing. Come on ma'am. There is a convenience store not 20 yards away if you're out of milk, or just fess up and I would have gone with a pop instead.
We won't be going back.