“Stay on the hill, it's worth it!”

Glacier Mountaineer Lodge
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Golden
Calgary
“Stay on the hill, it's worth it!”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Stayed here for a extended long weekend with a group of 6. Having a ski-in/ski-out is great, especially in larger groups. You have more freedom - people can start when they want, come back early/late, take more breaks. The convenience of the location somewhat justifies the cost. However, I think the price is still quite high considering this is a three star lodge.
Our place (we got an one-bedroom +loft) was a decent size - but a little crowded for six. It would be perfect for four, but we were trying to save some money.

The place was clean and well kept. I liked that we had a kitchen. They do provide a "Starter cleaning kit" with a couple dishwashing tabs and laundry detergent packets. We ended up using the majority of the dishwashing soap on the first day since all the dishes in the cupboards were dirty. I would recommend that if you plan on using the kitchen, to bring your own dishwashing detergent - the stuff they sell at the general store on the hill is a whopping $15!!

A few downsides, which is why I didn't give the place 5/5. The beds were uncomfortable and stiff, the pullout couch was also uncomfortable (to be expected for a pullout couch). The walls are paper thin, so you can hear everything even if you close the door and you can also hear all the noise outside. Since we were facing the gondola and the hill, we didn't need alarm clocks to wake up in the morning.

The underground parking is limited. If you want underground parking, be sure to get there early, or else you'll be parking in the overflow parking lot. The ski lockers (they don't allow skis/boots up in the rooms) are also limited, so try to grab one ASAP. The lodge provides locks if you don't have one.

We had a great time here and I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Timothy C, Hotel Manager at Glacier Mountaineer Lodge, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Hello,

Thank you very much for your detailed review of the Glacier Mountaineer. We appreciate the feedback!

I must agree, our location and views are unbeatable! Our One Bedroom and Loft units are great for families or 4 people. We always have the option of adding on an adjoining unit with an additional bathroom, king or queen bed and kitchenette if you do require some more space.

I would like to offer my personal apologies for the dishware in your kitchen as that is unacceptable and most certainly does not meet our standards.

As for the bedding concerns, we are currently working on putting together a new bedding program to be presented to our owners here at the Glacier Mountaineer.

Thank you for all your helpful tips! As mentioned, we appreciate the feedback as it only helps us grow!

I hope we can welcome you back for another stay at our resort, the only place on the hill where you can go from pillow to powder in a few minutes!

Yours in hospitality,

Timothy Charron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I have stayed at this resort several times over the years and have had a good experience every time. I was surprised this time the hide a bed was not to uncomfortable to sleep on. In the past this has always been an issue so we bring our own bed for the floor. This time we did not have to use it. try and get a room that dose not face the hill not as noisy when they are blasting and grooming the hill.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Lyle,

Thank you very much for your review! We appreciate the exceptional feedback.

I am very happy to hear we met your expectation and look forward to exceeding them during your next stay!

Thanks for sharing your room tip and information about the sofabed.

Please be sure to check out our website upon your next booking for the most up to date deals and packages!

Until next time,

Hotel Manager
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 13 February 2014

This is a great hotel and perfect location if you're skiing Kicking Horse. I was having trouble finding a decent looking place to stay on a recent last minute trip and online, even this place was only allowing me to book three nights instead of two. I was finally able to find a phone number for the front desk and Gillian found me a great deal that included ski passes and for the two nights that I wanted. It was worth the phone call!

• Stayed February 2014
Timothy C, Hotel Manager at Glacier Mountaineer Lodge, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Hello and thank you for sharing your outstanding review of the Glacier Mountaineer Lodge with the TripAdvisor community! We greatly appreciate the feedback!

I am thrilled we were able to accomodate you at the last minute! Moreover, we have shared your compliment with Gillian!

It is feedback like this that really keeps us going during our very busy winters. We can't wait to have you back next time! The massive snow dump hit us this week and shows no sign of stopping!

Upon your next booking, please mention our Customer Appreciate Rate for a special discount!

Until next time,

Hotel Manager
Surrey
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

2nd night in a row with a dusting of snow resulting in an over zealous snowplough driver scraping the car park ALL NIGHT. We will need a vacation to get some rest after this stay.

Cleanliness also disappointing - dirt in drawers; dishes not washed properly; fingerprints on dishes and cutlery; dirty oven gloves.

Shame. Otherwise good wifi (in room only).

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank xtrand
Hello xtrand,

Thank you for sharing your first TripAdvisor review with us.

I am concerned with the feedback you have provided regarding noise and cleanliness. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss matters further. Did you notify Guest Services about the problems? We always do our best to rectify situations promptly, effectively and to your satisfaction. Further, once our suites are serviced, they are inspected by a supervisor. I would like to be able to follow up with the team members involved.

In regards to the noise, as we do get tons of snow and the parking lots are full most of the evening, the ski hill, a separate entity, works hard throughout the night to ensure parking is available for patrons in the morning. I do realize that the brunt of the snow dump arrived after your departure. Regardless, I have been working with the ski hill to find a way around disturbing our guests' sleep as there is nothing worse than being tired for a big day of skiing!

Should you wish to discuss matters further, please contact me at your convenience at timc@bellstar.ca

Thank you very much and we hope to have you back again for an exceptional stay! Please mention you are a returning guest for a special rate!
Hamar, Norway
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Kicking Horse is a fantastic ski area. The lodge and Kicking Horse as a place though, lacks the authenticness of a nice place in the mountains. Location is great and the rooms are good, but as a ski destination you really get the feeling it all is made up in a few years and that it tries to be THE Resort in the region. Sure it works and makes a good business, but I have never felt more tourist than the few days up here. If you come for the skiing and do not mind some made up luxury and afterski with shots, this is great. If you come for great skiing and would also like some Canadian back country mountain culture, I'd say stay in Field or Revelstoke and take a few daytrips to Kicking Horse.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Timothy C, Hotel Manager at Glacier Mountaineer Lodge, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
Thank you very much for your review of the Glacier Mountaineer Lodge.

We appreciate your feedback. I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed the great skiing Kicking Horse, as well as the "Powder Highway" has to offer.

As the ski hill is a separate entity, run by RCR - Resorts of the Canadian Rockies, I will pass on your comments to their team.

Further, thank you for sharing your helpful tips with the TripAdvisor Community. I hope we can welcome you back to our resorts next time your are in Canada. For more locations, please visit our website or join our eClub!
Reviewed 30 January 2014

This is a fantanstic location for skiing. Room was clean and quiet. Front desk was very helpful. We did not use out door pool because it was too cold. Dinning is very convenient and food is fantastic. We have had a reservation at Eagle Eye at the summit, What a view! We will be back again some time in future.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Hello!

Thank you for sharing your exceptional experience with the TripAdvisor community.

We appreciate the compliments. I must admit, the view, especially the sunset, at Eagle's Eye is priceless.

Please be sure to mention our Customer Appreciate Rate upon booking your next stay with us!

Until next time!
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Beware this is NOT the place to stay if you intend on sleeping at night, there was very loud partying up and down the halls until 330 am. There is no security on site and front desk does nothing even when its a game of beer pong going on in the hall. Rooms are very simple with an antique TV. The location is awesome and we loved the view, we will return to kicking horse but will most likely find a quieter place to lay our heads. The hot tub is small and over crowding resulted in not being able to use it.

Room Tip: Slopeside is best
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank skifun2014
Hello Skifun2014,

Thank you for sharing your first TripAdvisor review with us.

I would like to apologize for the noise issues you experienced during your stay. I understand how frustrating that can be, especially after a big day on the ski hill.

I would like to let you know that I am currently working with our Home Owners Association as well as our Property Manager on improving our security protocol here at the Glacier Mountaineer as well as our other properties at Kicking Horse.

I am very happy to hear you enjoyed our amazing location and views. I hope we can welcome you back to showcase our improvements in the future and provide you with an exceptional stay. Moreover, if you are seeking a more quiet and private stay, I would recommend our Palliser Lodge which is still ski in/ski out but also offers private hot tubs in select suites as well as a tranquil environment.

Please contact me directly should you require anything else at timc@bellstar.ca