“Great service! Great location and amenities!”

Glacier Mountaineer Lodge - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Golden
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Great service! It is a bit more pricy but I recommend staying here for a great ski in/out option. Stayed here with my boyfriend for a week in February and enjoyed our stayed. The suite was nice with full kitchen, very large bathroom, fireplace. Had access to hot tub, sauna and steam shower which we enjoyed after long day skiing. Loved our huge ski locker and boots warmer. When we arrived staff was just finishing preping the room from previous guest and asked us whether we need anything else. When we requested a lock for the ski locker they immediately came back with one. Upon departure again they wanted to make sure we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Timothy C, Hotel Manager at Glacier Mountaineer Lodge - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Hello and thank you very much for your exceptional review of the Glacier Mountaineer Lodge!

It was an absolute pleasure hosting you and your boyfriend at our resort. I am very happy to here we exceeded your exceptions! I must agree nothing beats a hot tub and steam after a great day on the ski hill!

Thanks again for your kind compliments regarding our staff!

Don't forget to mention our return guest rate for a special deal next time!

Yours in hospitality,

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Stayed in Mountaineer Lodge prior and this time Glacier Lodge, yes same place but different accommodation standards. In fact paid a lot more and got far less. Reception fantastic so you cannot blame the staff you meet on a daily basis; but the management and association that manages this establishment needs to open their eyes.

First up, told LAST ski locker' yes this is a problem as lockers are also occupied by non staying guests, ski school staff and others. Car Park, first in basis - no allocation to actual room, so if you want to go for a drive, good luck on getting a car park on your return.

Room - first night and when trying to hit the slopes the following morning LOCKED IN ROOM. The door would not open. Yes reception and maintenance fantastic, problem solved within a couple of minutes and then latch replaced but this should not have happened. When a memo was sent to management the answer I got was (THE OWNER WAS ONLY HERE A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO AND VERY HAPPY) The shower was an absolute joke, had to run around to find the water, yes I did manage to get replaced but again this should not happen. The TV is so antiquated in fact did not know that you could still watch TV on NON flat screen TV screens.

Fifth day and no room service, asked if we could at least get some new towels. Arranged room service and what did we get new towels and some coffee as requested. No dusting, no vacuum, no cleaning of bathroom, no changing of bed linen. You could write your name on the furnishings, so dusty!

The spa is so small, do they honestly expect this to be used as a communal spa.

Totally disappointed, our last stay was so different, their is no comparison. Has this establishment been taken over by another chain I cannot answer this but until they do something to improve Glacier Lodge I would not recommend. And yes please think again if you want to stay in the summer months, no air-conditioning

Room Tip: If you have to come here make sure you get Mountaineer Lodge NOT Glacier
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janet P

Dear Janet,

Last we spoke, all was well as you confirmed to me in an email that also thanked us. As I never heard back from the multiple emails and voicemails I left you during your stay, I will address your comments here.

Once again, I am very sorry for the issues you experienced during your second stay with us. Most of them are unacceptable. In regards to technology and hardware in the room, nothing has changed since your last stay, TVs and hardware are identical in the Mountaineer and Glacier Lodges. I am sorry you didn't take us up on offers to move you to an alternate suite with updated TV's and beds and I am also sorry we were not given the opportunity to make things right during your stay. We tried our best to satisfy you while you were here.

I hope we can welcome you back in the future for another ski holiday and provide you with an exceptional stay.

Should you change your mind in terms of a discussion, I am available by email or telephone at 250-439-1160 ext 7503.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Stayed here for a extended long weekend with a group of 6. Having a ski-in/ski-out is great, especially in larger groups. You have more freedom - people can start when they want, come back early/late, take more breaks. The convenience of the location somewhat justifies the cost. However, I think the price is still quite high considering this is a three star lodge.
Our place (we got an one-bedroom +loft) was a decent size - but a little crowded for six. It would be perfect for four, but we were trying to save some money.

The place was clean and well kept. I liked that we had a kitchen. They do provide a "Starter cleaning kit" with a couple dishwashing tabs and laundry detergent packets. We ended up using the majority of the dishwashing soap on the first day since all the dishes in the cupboards were dirty. I would recommend that if you plan on using the kitchen, to bring your own dishwashing detergent - the stuff they sell at the general store on the hill is a whopping $15!!

A few downsides, which is why I didn't give the place 5/5. The beds were uncomfortable and stiff, the pullout couch was also uncomfortable (to be expected for a pullout couch). The walls are paper thin, so you can hear everything even if you close the door and you can also hear all the noise outside. Since we were facing the gondola and the hill, we didn't need alarm clocks to wake up in the morning.

The underground parking is limited. If you want underground parking, be sure to get there early, or else you'll be parking in the overflow parking lot. The ski lockers (they don't allow skis/boots up in the rooms) are also limited, so try to grab one ASAP. The lodge provides locks if you don't have one.

We had a great time here and I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Timothy C, Hotel Manager at Glacier Mountaineer Lodge - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Hello,

Thank you very much for your detailed review of the Glacier Mountaineer. We appreciate the feedback!

I must agree, our location and views are unbeatable! Our One Bedroom and Loft units are great for families or 4 people. We always have the option of adding on an adjoining unit with an additional bathroom, king or queen bed and kitchenette if you do require some more space.

I would like to offer my personal apologies for the dishware in your kitchen as that is unacceptable and most certainly does not meet our standards.

As for the bedding concerns, we are currently working on putting together a new bedding program to be presented to our owners here at the Glacier Mountaineer.

Thank you for all your helpful tips! As mentioned, we appreciate the feedback as it only helps us grow!

I hope we can welcome you back for another stay at our resort, the only place on the hill where you can go from pillow to powder in a few minutes!

Yours in hospitality,

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I have stayed at this resort several times over the years and have had a good experience every time. I was surprised this time the hide a bed was not to uncomfortable to sleep on. In the past this has always been an issue so we bring our own bed for the floor. This time we did not have to use it. try and get a room that dose not face the hill not as noisy when they are blasting and grooming the hill.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Lyle,

Thank you very much for your review! We appreciate the exceptional feedback.

I am very happy to hear we met your expectation and look forward to exceeding them during your next stay!

Thanks for sharing your room tip and information about the sofabed.

Please be sure to check out our website upon your next booking for the most up to date deals and packages!

Until next time,

Reviewed 13 February 2014

This is a great hotel and perfect location if you're skiing Kicking Horse. I was having trouble finding a decent looking place to stay on a recent last minute trip and online, even this place was only allowing me to book three nights instead of two. I was finally able to find a phone number for the front desk and Gillian found me a great deal that included ski passes and for the two nights that I wanted. It was worth the phone call!

• Stayed: February 2014
Timothy C, Hotel Manager at Glacier Mountaineer Lodge - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Hello and thank you for sharing your outstanding review of the Glacier Mountaineer Lodge with the TripAdvisor community! We greatly appreciate the feedback!

I am thrilled we were able to accomodate you at the last minute! Moreover, we have shared your compliment with Gillian!

It is feedback like this that really keeps us going during our very busy winters. We can't wait to have you back next time! The massive snow dump hit us this week and shows no sign of stopping!

Upon your next booking, please mention our Customer Appreciate Rate for a special discount!

Until next time,

Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

2nd night in a row with a dusting of snow resulting in an over zealous snowplough driver scraping the car park ALL NIGHT. We will need a vacation to get some rest after this stay.

Cleanliness also disappointing - dirt in drawers; dishes not washed properly; fingerprints on dishes and cutlery; dirty oven gloves.

Shame. Otherwise good wifi (in room only).

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xtrand

Hello xtrand,

Thank you for sharing your first TripAdvisor review with us.

I am concerned with the feedback you have provided regarding noise and cleanliness. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss matters further. Did you notify Guest Services about the problems? We always do our best to rectify situations promptly, effectively and to your satisfaction. Further, once our suites are serviced, they are inspected by a supervisor. I would like to be able to follow up with the team members involved.

In regards to the noise, as we do get tons of snow and the parking lots are full most of the evening, the ski hill, a separate entity, works hard throughout the night to ensure parking is available for patrons in the morning. I do realize that the brunt of the snow dump arrived after your departure. Regardless, I have been working with the ski hill to find a way around disturbing our guests' sleep as there is nothing worse than being tired for a big day of skiing!

Should you wish to discuss matters further, please contact me at your convenience at timc@bellstar.ca

Thank you very much and we hope to have you back again for an exceptional stay! Please mention you are a returning guest for a special rate!

Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Kicking Horse is a fantastic ski area. The lodge and Kicking Horse as a place though, lacks the authenticness of a nice place in the mountains. Location is great and the rooms are good, but as a ski destination you really get the feeling it all is made up in a few years and that it tries to be THE Resort in the region. Sure it works and makes a good business, but I have never felt more tourist than the few days up here. If you come for the skiing and do not mind some made up luxury and afterski with shots, this is great. If you come for great skiing and would also like some Canadian back country mountain culture, I'd say stay in Field or Revelstoke and take a few daytrips to Kicking Horse.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Timothy C, Hotel Manager at Glacier Mountaineer Lodge - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Thank you very much for your review of the Glacier Mountaineer Lodge.

We appreciate your feedback. I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed the great skiing Kicking Horse, as well as the "Powder Highway" has to offer.

As the ski hill is a separate entity, run by RCR - Resorts of the Canadian Rockies, I will pass on your comments to their team.

Further, thank you for sharing your helpful tips with the TripAdvisor Community. I hope we can welcome you back to our resorts next time your are in Canada. For more locations, please visit our website or join our eClub!