“We loved it and we'll be back!”

Cedar House Restaurant & Chalets
Edmonton, Canada
“We loved it and we'll be back!”
Reviewed 26 August 2011

One of the most awesome chalets we've ever stayed in. The mountain view from the deck was breath taking. We loved it and will be back soon. Thanks again Darrin!

Kelly & Russ

Edmonton, Alberta

Room Tip: Everything we needed was there!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
family in motion
Reviewed 22 August 2011

My husband and I were looking for a romantic spot to celebrate our 26th wedding anniversary. Based upon the previous reviews we booked the Adventure Chalet and were not disappointed. The lovely restaurant, cozy chalet, private hot tub and amazing location made it the perfect destination. We will definitely return. Having such a wonderful restaurant only steps from our accommodation was perfect.

Room Tip: Adventure chalet is perfect for a couple
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
top50, Front Office Manager at Cedar House Restaurant & Chalets, responded to this review, 29 August 2011
We hope that you had a wonderful 26th Wedding Anniversary and that you come back to celebrate other important dates with us very soon!

Best Regards,
Alexis
Reviewed 22 August 2011

My husband and stayed here for one night, as part of a one week vacation in mid July 2011. I never met any of the hotel staff, as we arrived late and left early. Darrin and his staff were always easy to reach and very professional and gracious. The chalet was left open for us, since we arrived late and had been readied for our arrival - When we arrived at 10PM at the Cedar Chalet (next to the restaurant), my initial impression of the indoors was that it looked a bit like a friend's vacation home - it's furnished in a very personal, casual, comfortable and unpretentious way. There is a very comfortable lazy boy recliner in the living room. I think that the owners have wanted to anticipate guests' every wish.

What struck me the most was that this place has a special romantic feel. All the lights dim. The kitchen has everything you would need to make an intimate meal together. There is even a nightlight...and an iPod station. The furnace style fireplace had been all prepared for a fire with plenty of extra kindling. This absolutely delighted me and I make a nice low steady fire that burned through the night, kept us cozy and smelled nice. But I did wake up hot in the early morning and turned the fire even lower and let in some air... Next to the sofa in the living room, there is a sound system and music to choose from and some books....In the left corner there is a small table, with two chairs and some silk flowers in a vase with a little table cloth perfect for enjoying the romantic that you made in the kitchen. Outdoors, you'll find a patio where the hot tub is ready for you -- Darrin heats it up prior to your arrival. To the right of the hot tub is a larger table with maybe 6 chairs for sitting outside friends. To the other side is a fire pit!!! So you can enjoy a fire inside or out. Adjacent to the bedroom is a utility closet with a washer/ dryer. In the bathroom, you will find complimentary robes. This chalet has many, large windows if you like to enjoy the mountain air.

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our one night stay. You will be comfortable and happy here. I can highly recommend it for either a very romantic time as a couple or some fun, relaxing time with friends.

My only suggestion is that you might want to consider privacy. Cedar Chalet is not very private. This was not a huge issue for us since we arrived late and left early. But, I understand that some chalets that are recessed from the main lot and restaurant and thus more private. The Adventure Chalet was booked but it has a hot tub that is completely private with a beautiful view.

There are some pictures on the hotel website and Darrin will email you a link with photos as well. Having seen pictures before hand going there in person exceeded my expectations.

We had dinner in town at the Whitetooth Grill which has good food and very nice cocktails.

The following day, we left early to go paragliding near Mount 7, with Altitude adventures which is 10 minutes away.

Room Tip: Each chalet is slightly different, some more private than others, with different views
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2011

My husband and I had seen this place on Trip Advisor before we left home and we kept it in the back of our minds for our tour. We were travelling back to Vancouver from the Rockies and needed a one night stop to break the journey. We nearly decided not to stay as the chalets are a little remote, yet only a few minutes drive to a small supermarket or to Golden itself. The owner Darrin showed us his new chalet and that's where the WOW! came in. We were hooked. The chalet, which doesn't really describe this sunsuite, had everything you could ever need including Bose sound system, TV and i pod docking system etc. It had 3 bedrooms so would be great for families or groups of friends and a hot tub was close to being finished. The views from the sun room were beautiful even though it was a bad day when we stayed. The clouds were very dramatic and the views of the mountain changed almost by the minute.
Because of the location we decided to eat in the on site restaurant which was excellent. It isn't cheap but the food was delicious- wild mushroom risotto, scallops on quinoa with a light curry sauce, surf and turf ( steak, salmon, king prawns in a sherry and tarragon sauce) and raspberry and white chocolate cheesecake.
We would have stayed longer if it wasn't that we needed to make up more ground to get back to Vancouver. Good luck Darrin you work hard for it.

Room Tip: Only saw our property really, but the web site will probably explain more about each cabin.
1 Thank Lynda L
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed 10 August 2011

What a perfect retreat! Stunning private location with charming and unique accomidations! The service was impecable and staff friendly and ready to help with anything including setting up our white water rafting trip.

Check out the resturant!!! Outstanding food. What an unexpected surprise!!

Mike and Susan

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
top50, Owner at Cedar House Restaurant & Chalets, responded to this review, 12 August 2011
Hello there,

Thank you two so much for staying with us and I hope you enjoyed the Green Chalet and Adventure Chalet! I look forward to seeing you again this winter!
Cheers Darrin
Cold Lake, Canada
Reviewed 8 August 2011

My girlfriend and I were on holidays riding the motorcycle through BC and needed a place to stay in Golden. We had called a few places and compaired prices and this place was a little bit more but still very reasonably priced for what we got....We did not have a computer to look at the rooms before we booked it but thought we would take the chance.....and all I can say is WOW!!! What an amazing place, everything was very clean and well taken care off, we stayed in the Sun Room and there was way more room than me and my girfriend needed for the night but more is better right, lol. The view from the room was breathtaking. We wished that we could have stayed there for a few extra days to really enjoy this place but had to keep on riding as we only had a week. We will definately be back there again!!!

Room Tip: Beautiful rooms, nice view, very clean and very modern.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Hello Arden,

I am glad you and your gal found us and thank you for the compliments! I look forward to our next chance to meet maybe in the snow?

Cheers Darrin
Calgary
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Stopped by for a night as part of a bigger journey but wished we could have stayed longer. We stayed in the cedar chalet which was exactly what we wanted. Make sure you check out therestaurant as well. Great food and makes it easy to stumble home.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
darrinderosa, Owner at Cedar House Restaurant & Chalets, responded to this review, 12 August 2011
Hello Jordan,

Thank you for staying and dining with us at the Cedar House! I hope next time we get a chance to have you stay with us perhaps for a ski trip this winter? It would be my pleasure to show you around the mountain!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Golden
Palliser Lodge - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts
Glacier Mountaineer Lodge - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts
Best Western Mountainview Inn
Winston Lodge & Spa
Winston Lodge & Spa
#7 of 19 in Golden
Holiday Inn Express Golden
Emerald Lake Lodge

Been to Cedar House Restaurant & Chalets? Share your experiences!