“Far better than the Howard Johnson in Golden BC !!!”

Best Western Mountainview Inn
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Golden
GreenLeadersBronze level
Saskatchewan Beach, SK, Canada
“Far better than the Howard Johnson in Golden BC !!!”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Hotel was easy to locate. Older hotel that has been well maintained; was very clean inside and out. Furniture in room was new and/or in good condition. Bed was really comfortable. Shower was good with lots of hot water. Swimming pool was closed for repairs - we were not advised of this at the time of making the reservation. Coffee machine in room; no microwave. Would recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Karen & Robert S
PrestigeHotels, Marketing Coordinator at Best Western Mountainview Inn, responded to this review, 8 October 2014
Thank you for your wonderful comments. I am pleased to hear you were happy with the amenities in your room including the comfortable beds. I do apologize that you were not informed of the pool repairs when making the reservation and I am happy to say the pool is now back up and running. We look forward to welcoming you back to Golden!

Candace West
Marketing Coordinator

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 August 2014

When I arrived at the hotel after being misled by the sign by the Pemier hotel in front of it, the lobby stunk of bacon grease.. I would have left except that it was too late to cancel. Every morning from
August 1 to August 4 when I left I had this smell waft into my room 101. The windows were missing the privacy curtains, which other rooms had as I later learned. The fabric on the arms of the two easy chairs were either worn out or damaged. The floor lamp only turned on when I plugged it in. It's switch didn't work. On the third day I couldn't access my room as the card didn't work and had to be reprogrammed. When I mentioned all this to the clerk at the desk on leaving she agreed to take off $20.00 from the $170.00 that I was charged for each day. My CAA brochure said that the max was $160.00. I hated this room but since I had been swiitched from room 102 on first arriving because I said it was too dark and depressing , I felt that there would be a hassle getting me another room. A tour bus came in and they had probably allocated good rooms to them. I was glad to leave and will never be back, although the town has a few good restaurants and a terriific wolf learning centre to the west of it. I was surprised to see that a tour bus tourist was given a voucher for breakfast but that I would have to buy breakfast. But since I don't eat much breakfast that didn't matter so much. When I was there the pool was usable..I really feel that I was ripped off here. In comparison the Hampton Inn in Jamestown, North Dakota was positively lush .On my Three and a half week trip, staying at various hotels including other Best Westerns, this was the worst..It did not merit three diamonds from CAA.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank MAREN Y
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I apologize that the accommodations you received were not indicative of what we strive to provide for our guests. There are breakfast packages available at the hotel for those who wish to include a full breakfast during their stay. We do hope you will reconsider Best Western Mountainview Inn as a destination in the future.

Candace West
Marketing Coordinator
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We would stay again as BW Hotels are fairly consistent although this trip (June 8, 2014) they seemed to be having issues with their AC/heating systems. Not only noisy making getting to sleep difficult but just could not get a comfortable room temperature. Either too cold or too hot.
Otherwise, rooms spacious and clean and the beds quite comfy. Staff pleasant enough. Most important to us was that they were pet friendly and were very nice about our 2 dogs.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mamaquilla2013
Chelsea L, General Manager at Best Western Mountainview Inn, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
I am glad that you and your dogs enjoyed your stay with us. We are always happy to welcome our four legged friends to the hotel. I am very sorry that the air conditioner was not working correctly in your room. I hope that on your next trip through Golden you would give us another chance to exceed your expectations.
Surrey
Reviewed 3 August 2014

The exterior and lobby of building are somewhat misleading. They don't seem as nice as the rest of the hotel. The hallways of the floors for the rooms were very clean. Our room was excellent! It was very clean and extremely huge. If I was to stay in Golden again I would certainly do so at this hotel. The only thing I would like to see is Continental Breakfast included as every other hotel I stayed at offered this.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

2 Thank Bonnie C
Thank you for the great TripAdvisor review! I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have breakfast packages available at the hotel if you would like to include a full hot, fresh breakfast the next time you stay with us.
Marysville, Washington
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We choose Best Western because we trust their brand. We were extremely disappointed with this facility. First, it was difficult to locate. We were not the only customer to walk into the Premier in front only to find that BW was located behind that hotel. Check-in was OK but we had to ask for a second key (the clerk seemed surprised it wasn't included in the packet) and then it had to be reprogrammed, no additional information about restaurants, sights, downtown features, anything was offered. The room was nicely appointed though the outside of the building is quite plain and nondescript, with a view of the other hotel on one side and service entry and trees on the other. The door didn't close on its own and had to be shoved with the hand every time we wanted it to be secure. The coffee pot worked sporadically and there was no microwave to heat water for tea or reheat the lukewarm coffee. I had to ask for a notepad and pen (what room in any hotel doesn't have that??) to write directions to our next stop. But the most disappointing feature was that breakfast was not included. Every other BW we have stayed in offers this as a regular feature. AND THIS WAS THE MOST EXPENSIVE OF THE THREE BW WE STAYED IN!!!

I don't care how beautiful a room is. If the service is less than adequate, then I won't return. That is how I feel about this place.

Room Tip: Because of the hidden nature of the location, all rooms would probably be quiet. Closer to the lobby...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
I am very sorry that you had difficulty locating our property. I agree with you that the signage along the highway is misleading and we are looking into getting it changed.
We have breakfast packages available at the hotel if you would like to include breakfast with your stay. I know that a lot of Best Westerns include a free continental breakfast, but our owners have opted out of the free breakfast and have chosen to have a full service café. Our Lobby Cafe makes everything fresh and to order. We take a lot of pride in providing a quality product that, yes costs a little extra, but is far superior to any continental breakfast in the industry.
Alberta
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This Best Western is not worth the price you pay. No free breakst, the pool was not operational and the room we had stunk of stale cigarette smoke. The stragest thing was the fact the in the bathroom, there was no toilet paper holder. I checked a room across the hall and it also did not have one.. very odd.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, there are so many better choices in Golden.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank cdnsun
I want to offer my apologies that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We recently had our bathroom vanities replaced with new granite ones and the new toilet paper holders were delayed getting to us. The old vanities had the toilet paper holders built into them. We have since had them all delivered and installed. As well I apologize for our pool being closed. We had some unforeseen maintenance issues that came up when we were fixing the ceiling that delayed the project. All of this has also been fixed and it is now up and running again as normal. I hope that you would give us another chance your next time through Golden.
Ra'nana
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I agree with Shauna J from Victoria- it is not like the other BW i have been to. The room smelled bad (like from cigarets !!) and thay only sprayed when i complained. No breakfast inspite high price ! Too high price for what you get !!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Please accept my sincerest apologies for not meeting your expectations during your stay with us. I am truly sorry that your room had a bad cigarette smell and that our staff was not able to rectify the problem prior to your checking in. We are a 100% smoke free hotel, but still have the occasional guest disregard those rules and smoke in the rooms. Again I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel. I hope that you would give us another try your next time through Golden and let us make it up to you.