“An oasis in the mountains...”

Dreamcatcher Hostel
Victoria, Canada
“An oasis in the mountains...”
Reviewed 2 September 2010

As soon as you walk into the Dreamcatcher you feel like you're at home - or at least at a place you'd like to call home. Big comfortable chairs around a cozy fireplace, an amazing kitchen and the gorgeous smiling faces of the owners, Gerald and Abi. The beds are hard to get out of only because they're so comfortable - this was definitely the best sleep for everyone on our 10 day tour of the Rockies. Gerald and Abi were incredibly welcoming and helpful in suggesting activities suitable for everyone and all my clients ended up doing something different - and loving it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed 27 August 2010

The term hostel does not do this place justice! It really is a special mix of boutique hotel, BnB and hostel all in one; capturing the perfect balance between comfort, homeliness, and travellers lodge all in one. Having read the previous reviews, not sure how much more I can say without agreeing and repeating with all of it. I wish Abi and Gerard all the very best with this special place they have created!

• Stayed August 2010
British Columbia
Reviewed 26 August 2010

I can't get over how lovely this hostel is! It is so warm and welcoming, so clean and cozy. All the little touches were fabulous - candles on tables in the common area at dinner, the juke box, the lovely bedding, the fresh baking sitting out, the sweet pupppies!...And the hosts were just lovely, lovely people - it is like they were made to run a place like this. They were thoughtful and concerned and helpful and kind and laid-back. We are really looking forward to returning this winter. Best hostel I've ever been to, for sure.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 25 August 2010

I have done a fair bit of traveling around the world always staying in hostels, the Dreamcatcher hostel is by far bar none my favorite hostel!! The hostel was very clean, comfortable and the staff make you feel like its home. The common area is huge with high ceilings plenty of room for people who want to socialize. For others who would like quite time to read or enjoy the peace there is also room for that. This hostel Is a must!!! I was blown away with the hospitality, ambiance, location and all around "welcome home" feeling that the Dreamcatcher has to offer. Absolutely amazing

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 23 August 2010

This is the best hostel I've even been to. The hosts are really nice and help you with everything. The hostel is brand new with nice and clean rooms, very comfortable beds, awesome kitchen and a really nice and cosy common area.
I only wanted to stay one night, but ended up staying four nights because it was so nice and laid back.
Hostel downtown and only 2 minutes form the shops and 1 minute from the grocery store.
I would always go back.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Bruges, Belgium
Reviewed 21 August 2010

We arrived and the service was great! They showed us around in the hostel,introduced us to other guests and then they showed us our room.. And it was fabulous! Our beds were made out of wood,the beddings are so colourfull and new that you immediatly feel at home.
Besides the lovely room and really comfi beds we had our own shower,toilet,fridge,.. and everything was really clean.
Abi ( one of the owners) is cooking a lot and shares all her good deserts with the guests,she really make you feel welcome!! Gerald, her husband, will help you with everything as much as he can! He'll give you all the information you need to visite places,where you should go hiking,wich activities you should do,..
This hostel was great to go with teenage kids,they could meet new people and do acitivities without their parents.
The hostel has a perfect location,close to nice hikingtrails in field and the rockies. It's a 15km from the kicking horse skiresort so it's the perfect place to stay during the winter season.
We would love to go back and spent some more time overthere !!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 14 August 2010

The story of this hostel is quite amuzing! I loved how the owners were so proud of it. This hostel has a cozy common area, a well equipped kitchen and is ran by a lovely couple, who live on-site. It features the original fire-place and comfortable, squishy furniture. The common area also has a juke box so you can listen to Your choice of music. I have to add, the music was all relaxing.
We were lucky enough to have a private bedroom with an en-suite, which was very clean. Our beds were made impeccably, and the comforters were very cozy. The one thing I would say is that the pillows were all what seemed like feather. I'm not used to feather so that seemed a bit flat for me. That is really the only semi-negative thing I have to offer. I would stay here again in a heart-beat! I loved it and will stay here again when we take our trip next year!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple