“Get yourself to Revelstoke or Yoho! Skip Golden!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Golden
Golden Municipal Campground
Ranked #28 of 42 Speciality Lodging in Golden
Canada
“Get yourself to Revelstoke or Yoho! Skip Golden!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

Strike one against this campground is that we were forced to stay because we broke down - not their fault and I suppose thank god they had ONE site left. I wouldn't really call it a campground as much as a dirt parking lot on the side of the river. Very busy train tracks across river that go all night long. Horrible Mosquitos and entire campground infested with wasps! They should really do something about the bees! Not the most helpful staff. Bathrooms were really gross, communal showers open to bugs and dirt - didn't feel very private. Would take measures to NOT have to stay over on a road trip here in the future.

• Stayed August 2013
JoyMichelle67, Manager at Golden Municipal Campground, responded to this review, 18 August 2013
We are sorry you had an unpleasant stay we are always looking for ways to improve the campground. Unfortunately the trains seem to be a theme to campground across BC and Alberta and are out of our control. However you must have missed our Brand new wash house. In our New office building. Im sorry you found our staff less then helpful. We do have some wonderful campsites on our property I imagine since you took our last one you were placed in a tent site not a rv site. The Back wash house you are referring to was just updated this year as well. Though rustic I assure you are kept clean and sanitized. They were actually just inspected by Tourism BC and they commented on how nice they were. We do have flush toilets and showers. Unlike pit toilets you find in many other campsites especially in the parks. Golden is a lovely place with a wide abundant activities . Any other specific problems we welcome your input please feel free to contact myself Joy at 250 344 0557 or email us at info@goldenmunicipalcampground.com We welcome all comments as it helps us plan for futures upgrades and improvements.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

I made the mistake of reserving a site here for a quick overnight stop on our way home from our vacation in southern BC. We got crammed into a small site that had the railway to our back end and the road to our front. I felt bad for the people beside us who had to stare at the side of our trailer all evening because it was right there in their face. As it began to get dark an employee of the campground stopped by to tell us that we should put our cooler inside because the path adjacent to our site was part of the city pathway and unsecured items often went missing. So I locked up as much as I could. Then after I got into bed I had to listen to cars speeding by the front of the trailer because there is nothing to stop general traffic from driving through the campground at any hour of the night. It wasn't a through road but for some reason people still felt the need to drive through. Several long trains went by with much clanging and squealing. I was nervous about theft so between that, the cars and the trains I didn't get much sleep. Fortunately, my children and husband seemed to not be bothered by the train so once they finally got to sleep they seemed to sleep through the night. We had just spent two weeks at a beautiful campground and this one was a disappointing way to end the trip. Our site was ugly and uncomfortable. We didn't use the facilities because we were only there for one night. From what I saw it looked clean enough but I have to say that I won't return. It's just not our style of camping. In my opinion this is a really poor location to have a campground.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
JoyMichelle67, Manager at Golden Municipal Campground, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We strive to make improvements to the campground that are in our control and we will certainly take your comments in consideration when we do our planning for the future. We hope you reconsider and try our campground again and perhaps we can place you in a more suitable site in the campground.
We will bring your concerns to the Town of Golden Regards Joy Guyot Golden Municipal Campground Operator

Travellers are raving about these Golden hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Clean and quiet campground. Except for the train line on the other side of the river. Can be loud at night but not terrible if your on the far side of the campground. Wish I could've shot the crows that woke me up at 6:30 am lol! The tenting spots were spacious enough with some secluded ones. Lots of trees and shade which is great and close enough to town if you want to get groceries or go for a bite to eat. But far enough that you don't get the noise. Overall pretty nice. Only gave 3 on location just cause of the train.

• Stayed July 2013
Quito, Ecuador
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

As a returning customer you think you will be treaded fair and with respect - but not at the golden municipal campground. When we booked the camp site no one told us that it is a family orientated camping ground. Nobody informed us about the rules and regulations etc. After the first night Joy (one of the employees) informed us in a very inappropriate way that they got a noise complain about us from other campers. I don't have a problem with that but nobody showed up during the night and informed us that we were to loud. Actually, a police officer came by the same night and informed us that we should take care of our tents, belongings etc. as kids usually go through the camping ground and try to steal...We asked him if we were too loud but he was fine with the volume. In addition, the camping ground is not at a quiet spot as advertised on the website. The train rails are right across the river and they make more noise than a couple of campers sitting around a fire at night.

The staff has absolutely no idea how to deal with their customers - talk to us in a nice way. We are all adults but this was more kindergarden talk than anything else.

I will not recommend this camping ground to any of my friends or family members. Customer service is terrible, the campsite is noise due train traffic and for $32 a night you won't even get free wood for your camp fire.

Thanks but no thanks!

PS: I give one star for the super friendly girl who comes and checks on the camp site after check out. The only positive thing about this campsite.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank hundebein
JoyMichelle67, General Manager at Golden Municipal Campground, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
As a returning customer I find it difficult that you were not aware of our policies . They are clearly stated on the map you were given upon check in and on our website and in the email confirmation you received. Your group spread out on 3 sites actually had two nights of complaints about noise and garbage lying around. I did talk to you after the first complaint. I also did not receive the second complaint until the next morning. If I had been informed earlier I would have come to talk to you earlier. The complaints came from several campers not just one, that you kept them awake all night while you partied. We had to refund those campers. I thank you for this post as it does reassure people that we are a family oriented campground and that we enforce our policies.
Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

We recently stayed in this campground and liked it so much on our way west we stayed another night on our way home. This was a lovely spot by the river and if you like trains it is the place for you. The trains were quiet noisy during the day and early evening, but did not disturb our sleep. The laundry and showers were great. There is a nice path along the river and it is within walking distance to all amenities. There is a town swimming pool basically just across the street from the office. I would highly recommend this campground and will definitely return. I would suggest making a reservation.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank djstdenis
Logan, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2012

My husband and I tent camped here for two nights in August 2012. We were given a spot that was near the woods, so not out in the open like some RV spots. We had the option to pick a different site if we did not like our selection. Site 68 was very close to site 67, no real foliage to separate you and your neighbor. We kept it anyway.

The second night some folks came in really late and just kept driving around looking for a spot. Unfortunately they picked the spot next to us and proceeded to set up their tent at 3am, then drink and talk at their picnic table. I had to get out to tell them I can hear every word they are saying even with earplugs in.

Oh, and bring earplugs. There is a train that goes through town and you can see it from the campground. Earplugs helped me with the train (but I could still hear those kids' voices).

There are two sets of shower buildings; really basic ones near the campground complex and nicer indoor ones over by the laundry and front desk. The first one is more "open aired" to a degree, so if you're showering when it's chilly out, you better change quickly! There's about an 8" gap of space at the bottom of the floor between the outside and your shower. So people can see your feet as your changing in/out of your clothes for a shower. Someone could easily take a hand held mirror and check everything out. The $1/6 minute hot shower was good, plenty of time to wash up. Sinks have hot water, and even an outlet to dry your hair if you shower at night.

We also used the laundry, $2 for a wash, $2.50 for a dry. High efficiency detergent sold in the shop.

They also have WIFI available at the picnic pavilion under some lights.

I felt fine walking around in the dark. The main driveways were lit enough with ambient light that I didn't need a headlamp to find my site.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ginadog1
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

Very clean beautifully maintained camping ground. Right near the public pool, which was nice as it was pretty warm the day we were there. Easy walk to the town, which we thought was lovely. Some of the best bathrooms I saw while camping in the Rockies and we had a lovely site which looked out over the Kicking Horse river. Like many camping grounds in the Rockies, it is very close to the trainline so be prepared....for us this was not an issue and we would definitely stay again.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple