“Rocky Mountain Buffalo/Bison Tour”

Rocky Mountain Buffalo Ranch & Guest Cottage Buffalo Tours
Ranked #5 of 67 things to do in Golden
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Rocky Mountain Buffalo Ranch & Guest Cottage ~ Buffalo Tours. A working Buffalo & Guest Ranch. We offer educational buffalo tours daily May thru September and year round accommodations in our fully furnished guest cottage and our peaceful cabin by the creek. Make yourself at home, see buffalo in their natural social order, learn about them first hand, wander the ranch and our pristine river frontage on the beautiful Blaeberry River, and come Dog Sledding with us starting December 2014 !!
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Rocky Mountain Buffalo/Bison Tour”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

If you find yourself in or around Golden don't miss Leo Downey's Rocky Mtn Buffalo Ranch tour!
We had a 2 week visit to Canada/US which took us across the Rockies to Vancouver, down to Portland and back to Calgary. On the last but 1 day we stopped in Golden to see one of the other attractions in the area but we were very pleasantly surprised to find Leo's Buffalo(Bison) farm close by. What a majestic setting for a majestic herd of animals like this. Surrounded by beautiful mountains, these animals live the good life in some of Canadas most beautiful country. Leo's a great host and a talented musician to boot. The kids absolutely loved it as did we. Look forward to seeing young Chester mature to adulthood. Thanks for making our day Leo. Best regards from Luxembourg, Europe!

2 Thank NorthernScot17
Leo D, Owner at Rocky Mountain Buffalo Ranch & Guest Cottage Buffalo Tours, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
I don't get that many visitors for Luxembourg, and I sure enjoyed your family! I'll be putting phots of Chester jr on my website so I hope you and I both can see him turn into a big old buffalo like his dad. Thanks for visiting us very much!

Stafford, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An impulsive visit that became a highlight of the trip.”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We visited Leo and his buffalo herd today more or less on a whim, and I'm really glad we did, because it was a fantastic experience. I'd imagined that we might see one or two buffalo in the distance- in fact, Leo calls the herd and they all come galumphing right up to the viewing platform, so we were only feet away from them, watching them eat and interact. A magnificent sight- they are huge, impressive beasties, even though Chester Jr, the lead male, isn't full-grown yet. Leo is really welcoming and interesting and enthusiastic, and clearly devoted to the herd. He can also light a fire with a stick and bow, something I hadn't really believed was possible until he demonstrated it. Really worth the visit.

1 Thank FandM2013
Leo D, Owner at Rocky Mountain Buffalo Ranch & Guest Cottage Buffalo Tours, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Thank you very much for visiting me and the buffalo and for your kind comment. I hope you will come again and see Chester jr turn into as big a buffalo as his Dad!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unique and interseting”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

There aren't too many things to do with kids in Golden so if you would like to do something with kids go to see Leo ans his Buffalo herd.

1 Thank familyof2adults4kids
North Brunswick, N.J.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Incredible place for photography.”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

What an incredible piece of property and beautiful buffalo. Leo was extremely cool ( and very handsome ladies.) We got some amazing wildlife shots here on our tour of the Canadian Rockies - Extra Eyes Photo Tours. We are trying to put together a fall or winter tour to go back here and rent a cottage. It was that good!! I highly suggest going here. The kids will love it and so will photographers! We have a bunch of great shots on our website of the property and the buffalo.
Thanks Leo!!

Pam Goodyer
Extra Eyes Photo Tours

Visited June 2013
2 Thank ExtraEyes
Leo D, Owner at Rocky Mountain Buffalo Ranch & Guest Cottage Buffalo Tours, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you very much Pam! I think Chester jr. is a lot more handsome than me! lol
LindyLou105
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Great Visit!”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

If you are travelling in the area of Golden go to visit the Rocky Mountain Buffalo Ranch. Leo Downey was a great host and called the buffalo and fed them. We spent a couple of hours here on the farm and it is clear that Leo has a great love of his land and the animals in his care. He even showed us how to light a fire in the old traditional way.

You will have a great visit here I can guarantee it. The cost was CAN$12 and it was worth every penny.

We initially visited the Northern Lights Wolf Centre and saw this was nearby and if you only have time for one - visit the buffalo ranch.

Visited June 2013
Leo D, Owner at Rocky Mountain Buffalo Ranch & Guest Cottage Buffalo Tours, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Thank you!! for visiting me and for your review, I appreciate your support very much, I hope you'll visit again and see Chester jr. get as big as his dad :)

Travellers who viewed Rocky Mountain Buffalo Ranch & Guest Cottage Buffalo Tours also viewed

Golden, Kootenay Rockies

Been to Rocky Mountain Buffalo Ranch & Guest Cottage Buffalo Tours? Share your experiences!