“A phenomenal experience”

Rocky Mountain Buffalo Ranch & Guest Cottage Buffalo Tours
Ranked #6 of 68 things to do in Golden
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Rocky Mountain Buffalo Ranch & Guest Cottage ~ Buffalo Tours. A working Buffalo & Guest Ranch. We offer educational buffalo tours daily May thru September (10 a.m to 1 p.m. Alberta Time ) and year round accommodations in our fully furnished guest cottage and our peaceful cabin by the creek,, Wagon in the Woods and Buffalero's Bunkhouse in the Barn. Make yourself at home, see buffalo in their natural social order, learn about them first hand, wander the ranch and our pristine river frontage on the beautiful Blaeberry River, and come Dog Sledding with us starting Winter 2018 !!
Calgary, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A phenomenal experience”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My cousin and I intentionally visited the RMBRT and are thrilled that we did. I would not have believed it if not seen with my own eyes - Leo calling the herd using Chester Jnr. After a while, the herd moved along and then at a bend, they 'stampeded' [well not quite but call it a mini one then :p]. towards Leo and our group. Ti view them from the platform up so close was an awesome experience and even more interesting were the tales that Leo regaled us with. Finishing off with a demonstration of fire lighting. Oh, and to our delight Leo is a musician of note, so to top our visit off, a CD was bought with him autographing the cover. We listened to it in the car after leaving and it made for very pleasant listening.

Leo thank you very much for sharing your special place.
Pat

Visited August 2013
Leo D, Owner at Rocky Mountain Buffalo Ranch & Guest Cottage Buffalo Tours, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
That is so neat to hear how it was for you guys. Thanks!!! and thanks for listening to music too. Please come back and see Chester jr get as big as his dad.

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Rocky Mountain Buffalo/Bison Tour”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

If you find yourself in or around Golden don't miss Leo Downey's Rocky Mtn Buffalo Ranch tour!
We had a 2 week visit to Canada/US which took us across the Rockies to Vancouver, down to Portland and back to Calgary. On the last but 1 day we stopped in Golden to see one of the other attractions in the area but we were very pleasantly surprised to find Leo's Buffalo(Bison) farm close by. What a majestic setting for a majestic herd of animals like this. Surrounded by beautiful mountains, these animals live the good life in some of Canadas most beautiful country. Leo's a great host and a talented musician to boot. The kids absolutely loved it as did we. Look forward to seeing young Chester mature to adulthood. Thanks for making our day Leo. Best regards from Luxembourg, Europe!

2 Thank NorthernScot17
I don't get that many visitors for Luxembourg, and I sure enjoyed your family! I'll be putting phots of Chester jr on my website so I hope you and I both can see him turn into a big old buffalo like his dad. Thanks for visiting us very much!
Stafford, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An impulsive visit that became a highlight of the trip.”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We visited Leo and his buffalo herd today more or less on a whim, and I'm really glad we did, because it was a fantastic experience. I'd imagined that we might see one or two buffalo in the distance- in fact, Leo calls the herd and they all come galumphing right up to the viewing platform, so we were only feet away from them, watching them eat and interact. A magnificent sight- they are huge, impressive beasties, even though Chester Jr, the lead male, isn't full-grown yet. Leo is really welcoming and interesting and enthusiastic, and clearly devoted to the herd. He can also light a fire with a stick and bow, something I hadn't really believed was possible until he demonstrated it. Really worth the visit.

1 Thank FandM2013
Leo D, Owner at Rocky Mountain Buffalo Ranch & Guest Cottage Buffalo Tours, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Thank you very much for visiting me and the buffalo and for your kind comment. I hope you will come again and see Chester jr turn into as big a buffalo as his Dad!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Unique and interseting”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

There aren't too many things to do with kids in Golden so if you would like to do something with kids go to see Leo ans his Buffalo herd.

1 Thank familyof2adults4kids
North Brunswick, N.J.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Incredible place for photography.”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

What an incredible piece of property and beautiful buffalo. Leo was extremely cool ( and very handsome ladies.) We got some amazing wildlife shots here on our tour of the Canadian Rockies - Extra Eyes Photo Tours. We are trying to put together a fall or winter tour to go back here and rent a cottage. It was that good!! I highly suggest going here. The kids will love it and so will photographers! We have a bunch of great shots on our website of the property and the buffalo.
Thanks Leo!!

Pam Goodyer
Extra Eyes Photo Tours

Visited June 2013
2 Thank ExtraEyes
Leo D, Owner at Rocky Mountain Buffalo Ranch & Guest Cottage Buffalo Tours, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you very much Pam! I think Chester jr. is a lot more handsome than me! lol

Travellers who viewed Rocky Mountain Buffalo Ranch & Guest Cottage Buffalo Tours also viewed

Golden, Kootenay Rockies

Been to Rocky Mountain Buffalo Ranch & Guest Cottage Buffalo Tours? Share your experiences!