“A very comfortable sleep”
Review of River to Peaks Inn

River to Peaks Inn
Ranked #15 of 19 Golden B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We found the bed so comfortable and the bathroom with the steam shower was a bonus. The linens were immaculate and the deep soaker tub was a welcome treat after a long drive. We loved listening to the nearby river lull us to sleep. This inn is in a residential area of town, several blocks off the highway, but its worth the search. It's simple breakfast fare, make your own coffee, etc but the price is right and it sure beats a cheap hotel, by a long shot. A weedy yard or no dishwasher, doesn't bother me, I appreciated the great bed and a great sleep!

Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed 17 July 2013

Right from first impressions it wasn't good. The yard was not maintained and weeds were growing everywhere. Kitchen was dirty and not well stocked for a full house. Barbecue was filthy with no tools available. Chairs were dangerous and still did not have enough for everyone. Hosts were creepy. We had little privacy. Host will walk throught the place without acknowledgement. Our bedroom was descent. Bed was comfortable. TV was nice. Bathroom needed professional help. The tub and shower fixtures were loose making the shower noisey. Shower curtain was too small making the experience very drafty.
Not recommended. There are nicer places in the area.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Probably a bit more good than bad, but with a bit of elbow grease and some attention to detail, this could be a really nice retreat. The bed was very comfortable and the linens nice. The rest was lacking. The gardens need weeding and trimming to make the first impression favourable. The kitchen needed a good cleaning - the sink, the glass table - and wilted fowers should have been discarded. Making my own breakfast took the second "B" out of the equation for me. I have never stayed in a B&B where the host didn't make a fresh/hot breakfast. The view out the windows is gorgeous I am sure, but the windows desperately need cleaning.

This could be such a gorgeous place. On the upside, dinner at Eleven 22 as recommended by the host, was amazingly good - rivals any great restaurant in Calgary or Vancouver.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
B.C.guide, Manager at River to Peaks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Dear Joan

I was sorry to see that you were disappointed with River to Peaks. In regards to the overgrown garden; the parent company handyman was well overdue with weed whacking as he has been in Canmore assisting with the flood disaster recovery. He made it here Sunday evening and we are back to respectable. In regards to breakfast, our website states that we provide "a self-serve breakfast" as "a light continental style breakfast". River to Peaks sits in a beautiful location with 2 man-made hindrances; dust from coal trains and a mill provide plenty of "treatment" to our windows. Yes, I need to get the upper windows cleaned again. Please come back again.
Jack MacGregor, Innkeeper

Reviewed 4 October 2012

I'm torn on how to rate this place...it's between Average and Very Good - but some very minor tweaks could make it even better. I think it operated like a Youth Hostel. We stayed for two nights. The room was great a luxurious bed, internet TV, quality bathroom with huge bath, separate shower and integral steam room. We found it quite easily and the area was a quiet residential suburb which looked as if it was part of a new build. Pleasant area and the property had been refurbished since previous reviewers I suspect.

What let it down was a a few little things; on check in our host was very polite but asked if we'd like to settle the bill before we had even seen the room. A brief explanation was given about the common room ' kitchen' saying breakfast would be laid out in the morning. Help ourselves and feel free to use the full extent of the facitlites including storing food in the full 'American' fridge and cooking in the oven etc. This we did and prepared a great evening meal, and I washed and tidied away all the pots etc. (as per YH). But next day breakfast wasn't laid out when we popped down around 8am. A little later is was but it wasn't clear what we were to have, so with a couple of muffins we headed out. Later we learnt that other guests had snaffled some of our provisions and not washed their pots (no problem), because like us they were unsure what was and wasn't the etiquette. Finally get the feather duster out on those blinds.

Hopefully the hosts will shortly provide some brief 'guidance' for guests. Just to confirm, breakfast arrangements, times, check out - suggestions for dinner and local provisions etc. Combined with the excellent facilities this place could be fantastic and part of it is. Would we stay there again? Possibly...

Room Tip: All rooms fairly good I think.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
B.C.guide, Manager at River to Peaks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2012

Dear Whiteballgal

Thank you for your recent review of River To Peaks and the lovely comments about the guest room. Like the previous review that I just replied to; you have provided us input towards guest check-in and we have formalized a check-in procedure. My wife and I are both hotel professionals with extensive experience. Ordinarily in a hotel, the guest checks in prior to going to their room; we have formalized it that we show the guest the inn, their room, operation of the Google TV and steam shower then give them the option of payment then or upon check out.

The guest is not responsible for cleaning their dishes; as an innkeeper if I encounter guests cleaning their dishes I will jokingly berate them for performing work while on vacation. As I said in the previous reply we were without a dishwasher for the summer; but we had a new one installed recently. Our continental breakfast is laid out on the kitchen counter with the exception of milk, juice, margarine and yoghurt which remain in the fridge. Coffee cream is adjacent to the coffee maker. This is the first incidence I have heard of, of guests consuming other guests' food. We will be labeling areas of the fridge from here on in. Personally I have garnered thank-yous from local restauranteurs in my directing guests towards them; in town I have 5 favorites, 3 of them within walking distance of the inn.

Sincerely yours

Jack MacGregor
Innkeeper

PS My apologies for the blinds.....no excuses except Golden is a very dusty town, the neighbor warned me when we moved here in July.

Reviewed 1 October 2012

We can only echo several other reviewers. The room was great in a new build house with some unexpected mod cons such as 42" Google Internet TV, Steam Room / Power Shower combined, new bed and double sink. I slept better the 1st night than any other night of our holiday so far.

There were however no room instructions such as when the breakfast pastries were laid out (we left for a day trip at 8:15 the first day and missed it), nor instructions for how to use the complex TV or steam room (older people may struggle if they are not used to gadgets). The breakfast though was bizarre. We were invited to make use of the fridge which we did, but as there was no notice as to what was guest's property and what was the Inns, other guests had snaffled our jam come the morning. Other guests (not us) left all the dirty washing up in the sink, no doubt assuming it is like a hotel where the hosts wash it, but the dirties were still there a day later long after these guests had checked out. The bin in the kitchen contained our smelly chicken remains from the evening meal we cooked, but this also took 24 hrs plus to empty. The room was unmade during our 2 night stay.

The owners lived in the other half of the house, but it seemed like they had other things to do apart from check in and check out people. If this does not bother you, you could do worse. If it does, avoid.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear CrosspoolSteve

Thank you for your review of the River to Peaks Inn; aside from your frustrations I hoped you enjoyed your stay with us. My wife Kim and I alternate with guest care as we both have other outside responsibilities we have to meet. Recent comments have given us need to reexamine our procedures. During the summer months, the continental breakfast is placed out at 0730H; at the commencement of fall and darker mornings we commence breakfast at 0800H. We are surprised by your comment about your 0815H departure. Labeling of fridge shelves was recently drawn to our attention and once we resume business at Christmas (the entire house is presently booked to a guest until then) the shelves will be marked by the inn's, and each of the 4 suites. We were likewise hindered by lack of a dishwasher until recent; as a result we would wash dishes around 7PM and once again the next morning before and after breakfast. Golden's water is incredibly fresh and clean, it is likewise very hard water and provides water based appliances a short lifespan.

A compliment that we have received from many a guest is that we are not "in our guests face" like many bed and breakfast proprietors tend to do. Our website likewise indicates our;

House Keeping Policy:
If booking for weekly or monthly visits River to Peaks offers "Vacation Style Housekeeping". This means your room will be cleaned on 4th day of every week. Services include: garbage disposal, fresh towels, bed made and a light dust.

Understanding our policies; I hope you return to River to Peaks and give us another try likewise enjoying our improved procedures that you have provided us with input on.

Sincerely yours

Jack MacGregor
Innkeeper

Reviewed 21 September 2012

stayed for one night this past winter. So AMAZING! the bed was quite possibly the comfiest bed i have ever slept in. The place was spotless. Great coffee in the morning to accentuate the amazing views. To to far of a walk from all the great restaurants in town and close-ish to the ski hill i will for sure be staying here the next time i am in Golden.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 September 2012

I booked this inn based on tripadvisor reviews as well as the inn's website. I was fooled! It is in the middle of an mediocre neighborhood - no sign - the yard was a mess and the house needed painting. The interior was awful - the house needs a deep cleaning and a decorator! We could barely get down the sub-par breakfast being in such a dirty place - dishes in the sink from the previous guests - REALLY????

On the upside - the host was friendly and the linens were nice.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple