Golden Hostel, Kicking Horse River Lodge
Great 4.5/5
All reviewscommon kitchenlight breakfastlaundryaccommodationspropertylodgedeck
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Like everywhere in Golden you are very close to CP and CN railroads, both are very active at night. Bring earplugs if you don't want to be waken up every hour.
There is a dorm and hotel section - we stayed a few times in the hotel one. I love design of the building and this is the main reason for staying there :-)
The staff is very friendly and helpful and the rates are reasonable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Kicking Horse river
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I stayed at the kicking horse river lodge prior to a skiing trip out of golden. I see now that trip advisor calls it a hostel but nowhere on their site do they call it a hostel. They do say there is the option of dorm room accommodations but I got the impression it wasn't a hostel - we paid $150 for the room. Three of us stayed in a loft room and we could literally hear every word the people in the next room were saying. If I was rating a hostel I'd have to say it was great. Rating a lodge with no reference to a hostel I have to give the thumbs down. On the bright side, the Bugaboo Cafe was excellent. Their breakfasts have to be the best in Golden. I'd probably eat breakfast there again even if I stayed somewhere else in Golden.

Room Tip: If they have the option of a quiet section or room Id highly recommend that.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mtnguy1
Reviewed 13 May 2011

A few years ago, I stayed at the Kicking Horse River Lodge in the dorm section of the lodge, and found it to be a bit loud. Could have had something to do with the fact that I was there for new year's eve, but I thought I would prefer a quieter experience this time. The KHRL staff have always been super friendly so I didn't want to abandon them entirely. I decided to try their private accommodations instead. Ended up in the lofts--super cozy and absolutely no noise complaints here. Would way rather stay in these than in a chain hotel--better ambiance and feels more like home.

And don't miss the cafe located in the lobby--best breakfast in town!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2009

The Kicking Horse River Lodge is a very impressive place to stay. The lodge is log cabin style with large, clean rooms and great local historical photos throughout. Our room was so clean it was fantastic! It was spacious, the bed was made of logs and had a down duvet and the room had very large windows. The Bugaboo Cafe served up the best breakfast we had in a very long time with the ingredients and baked goods all being local. The breakfast menu was very extensive.
The Lodge itself is also environmentally friendly using geothermal heating and cooling. We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2009

I've stayed at the hotel 2 years running and it's great. You can use the facilities downstairs i.e. laundry and kitchen. Rooms clean and tidy. It can be a bit noisy but that's because it's all wood. The breakfasts are brilliant and the location is good for exploring the surrounding area.

• Stayed: July 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)