“Unbelievable!!!”

Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Golden
Calgary, Canada
“Unbelievable!!!”
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We knew in advance that most (if not all) of the facilities in the Kicking Horse Resort are closed in June. However, it was more difficult to check in than we could have ever imagined. We got to the hotel and there was no one at the reception desk - the area was in total darkness. There was, however, a phone, with a small sheet of paper with a phone number. It took forever for me to get a response on the other end, and when I finally did, the guy gave me some very vague instructions as to the location of our keys. He said to look for 2 towers, and we did that for over 20 minutes with no luck. I then went back in and called him again, and he had no other information for me. We happened to see a couple walking around, and they told us we had to go to the Glacier Lodge and go past reception where a bunch of lock boxes are located. So I did that and just as he had said, there were the lock boxes containing our keys and personal info - unlocked and sitting unattended. The whole process took us over an hour. We finally got our keys and took a few tries to get them to open the parkade door at the Palliser. The room was very clean and had a nice balcony with a view of the mountains. If I had known better, I would have booked something in town, because it is a 14km drive from the townsite (incredibly confusing) to the Palliser - and we made the trip at least 10 times, so do the math!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cindy D
Dan A, Operations Manager at Palliser Lodge, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Thank you for your comments on your recent visit. I am truly sorry that you did not have a great experience at check-in. Arriving to a new place can be very challenging when not familiar with the area - especially in the evening. I have already spoken with the emergency contact person to be available to come out and assist when the assistance is required. We do send the check in instructions within both our welcome letter and confirmation emails, but I will still review and update our check In instructions to ensure that it is clear and very easy to understand. Outdoor signage on the road is also being looked into.
I am though, very glad that you enjoyed your room and the spectacular views from your patio once you arrived and settled in.

Thank You again for your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Excellent spring skiing conditions during easter weekend. Our family spent three nights at palliser and a well appointed two bedroom suite. The place was spotless and the hot was a great bonus. The front desk staff were very polite and helpful.

Overall this was a great family experience and will defiantly return next season.

1 Thank Fit4Life80
Travis S, Operations Manager at Palliser Lodge, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
Thank you for the warm review from your Easter Weekend trip with us at Palliser Lodge. I’m very happy to hear that you and your family had a wonderful time along with getting some final runs in before the hill closes after another great season. Please make sure to ask about our Return Guest Rate when booking direct with Bellstar Hotels & Resorts for additional savings.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Stayed at the Palliser Lodge this weekend with my wife and parents for a wedding at Kicking Horse. Firstly, we arrived late after driving all day only to find that there is no reception at the Palliser. We had to call the 24 hour service line (which took almost 20 minutes of button pressing to get through the annoyingly long automated system to actually speak to a rep) to find out that we have to check into our room at another location, albeit close by, it was very annoying and difficult to do in the dark in a place you have never been before.

Then we go to park our midsize vehicle in the underground lot at the hotel only to discover that there is no room anywhere because other guests had parked large vehicles over the lines. We ended up parking on the front driveway which was poorly lit and very icy. I could not believe how unbelievably negligent and dangerous this was, especially considering this was the main entry for both vehicles and pedestrians to the building. (I also noticed that the front entry way to the glacier lodge, where we had to check in, was clear of ice and snow and well maintained hmmm coincidence?) When we finally got into our room, after possibly the worst first impression I've ever had before in my experience in hospitality, we found that our phone didn't work in our room and discovered the next morning that our coffee maker was also broken.

On our second night there we returned to the hotel to find a bunch of drunk guys sleeping / drinking / loitering in the lobby and were harrassed and threatened on our way through. (really fun when you are alone with your wife and elderly parents) Another reason it would have been nice if there was a staff member present in the reception area.

On a possitive note, our suite was very nice and clean, with beautiful views and a fairly convenient location to the village amenities.

All in all it was a terrible experience in what could have been a really memorable vacation. Would not reccomend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Travis S, Operations Manager at Palliser Lodge, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
Thank you for your feedback from your stay at Palliser Lodge. I would first off like to apologize to you and your family for not having the true exceptional resort experience that our team strives to deliver for all our guests. As you alluded too we don’t have a Front Desk at Palliser Lodge – Our Central Check-In is located at the Glacier Lodge for all our lodging guests. We include this information in our confirmation letters, welcome email along with signage at the Palliser Lodge but I can understand that this can be overlooked or not properly communicated. There are no excuses about your in unit phone; we have informed our telephone technician so it can be addressed immediately. Enjoying a fresh cup of coffee first thing in the morning is one of life’s simply pleasures, but having a faulty coffee maker is not the way you want to start your morning. I glad that a member of our team was able to address that by way of a new coffee maker upon having it reported. I have brought forward your comments regarding the underground parking and ice build-up to the Property Manager and I will make sure that they are addressed accordingly. Lastly I want to acknowledge that situation you faced when entering the Palliser Lobby upon returning to the lodge during the evening with the other guests who were occupying it. I can understand how that can be an unsettling experience but with our 24 hours presence on the resort we would have been more than happy ask these guests to partake the remainder of their evening in comforts of their unit. Once again my sincere apologies for the not so memorable experience you had with us at Palliser Lodge. I do wish that our team can make it up to you and invite you back to truly enjoy an exceptional resort experience at one of our proudly managed properties at Kicking Horse in the future.
Salmon Arm, Canada
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Enjoyed a great four night holiday at palliser this past week. Room was spotless and well equipped. Kicking Horse is a beautiful resort and I highly recommend it for all who are looking for some great skiing at a reasonable price.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Travis S, Operations Manager at Palliser Lodge, responded to this review, 24 March 2013
Thank you for the quick note from your stay with us at Palliser Lodge. I’m glad you had the opportunity to experience the Resort and get in some great skiing too! When you’re making your next booking please make sure to ask about our Return Guest Rate when booking direct with Bellstar Hotels & Resorts for some great additional savings.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 21 March 2013

We booked one bedroom condo at Palliser Lodge for 8 nights. After spending 2 nights in it we inquired about upgrading to two bedroom with the private hot tub. We were able to move the same day for 5 nights and advised that we had to be back at our original condo for the remaining night. Everything seemed to be "locking in", we moved the rooms quickly, enjoyed our hot tub, only to find out the next day that it was broken!! We were told we have an option to move again and as much as it was inconvenient having to pack our luggage, we did it! We were assured that our new condo will be on the same floor as the original one bedroom, so we wouldn't have to use the elevator! The day before our departure my husband walked over to the reception at Glacier Lodge ( no reception at Palliser) to pick up the key to our original one bedroom condo so we could move, again!!! The speed of the reception employees and the way they operate the computer is worse then of a snail! After waiting for at least 15 min, he was told that our original condo is no longer available and we have to move to a different floor! After hearing the news I picked up the phone and demanded what we were promised and finally we were offered a condo on the same floor. I couldn't understand why we had to go through all this...calling back an forth, wasting our time? Unfortunately we were not offered any explanation.
We've been on many ski trips before, travelled all over the world to find the best ski conditions and accommodation. We've done extensive research and Kicking Horse was highly recommended by our friends. Unfortunately this was by far the worst trip we've ever been on! The mountains and skiing were nice, but the experience at the lodge will prevent us from ever coming back! To top it all up, we were "accidentally" overcharged for our stay!!! We had received our credit card statement with additional charges even though our final receipt showed
the remaining balance as zero!! We were told the rates for the room had changed!? I would have been nice to notify the guests of any changes before their departure!!
Overall, its a nice lodge, but it lacks of customer service and satisfaction! Poor management!

Room Tip: Stay away from this one!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Travis S, Operations Manager at Palliser Lodge, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
Thank you for your feedback from your stay with us at Palliser Lodge. I’m very sorry to hear that your stay wasn’t as exceptional as we would have hoped. I’m glad you had the opportunity to speak with a member of our leadership team on Thursday and got everything sorted out. Once again I am very sorry for the troubles you had with the rooms along with the rate discrepancy but I am happy that we were able to make it right after all following the phone conversation.
Fernie, Canada
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Some girlfriends and I spent a weekend away at Palliser Lodge. We booked two rooms which both had hot tubs. The rooms were very clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The ski conditions were pretty good. We ate at corks restaurant one night and it was amazing! This was my second time at Kicking Horse but first time staying at Palliser. I would definitely recommend this hotel and will be returning next season.

Room Tip: Ask about a room with a private hot tub
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Travis S, Operations Manager at Palliser Lodge, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Thank you for the excellent review from your stay at Palliser Lodge. I’m glad you and your friends had had a great time and got in some good skiing while you were here. The Hot Tub units are defiantly popular and a great amenity to have after a day on the hill. Once again thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to hosting you again soon.
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Overall the hotel room was very comfortable and clean, but there was just enough annoyances over our stay that made me not as happy as I could've been.

The ski storage area is just ski racks, not lockers as other hotels provide. It would've been nice to be provided with a ski lock to secure our skis as we are not allowed to take our skis upstairs. As we had recently just bought a brand new set of skis we were not thrilled with leaving them there unlocked so we just left them in our car.

Our microwave was broken, the start/stop button was totally busted. It took us a good 5-10 minutes to discover the issue as some microwaves aren't the easiest to use. When I called the front desk the lady that answered told me it's a common issue with the microwaves, and she did get someone to come over very quickly to replace it (although I was drunk and hungry and the 15 minute wait felt like hours). The service was great regarding the issue, just unfortunate the issue occurred at all.

The lifts in the building are horrific. If you happen to move in the lift as the doors are closing they get stuck (that's what we think the issue was, otherwise it randomly gets stuck). The doors take FOREVER to close once you get in. So much pushing of the close button does nothing.

To top off our stay, at 9:45am on our last day housekeeping knocked on our door, I asked 'Yes?' and was ignored. She then proceeded to attempt to enter our room (luckily we had locked our door from the inside) and she tried this for a good 2 minutes. As we weren't completely dressed we were a bit bothered by this! Eventually we got dressed and up to find out what she wanted. She seemed a bit annoyed that we were still there and reminded us that check out was 11am - pretty rude considering we still had over an hour to leave. We couldn't find any 'Do Not Disturb' signs to put up on our door, but noticed a review that mentioned they had one... ours must've been missing!

I brought these issues to the attention of the front desk on check out, and must say that the lady I spoke with was so lovely about it. If it wasn't for these couple of issues we would most definitely consider coming back.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Travis S, Operations Manager at Palliser Lodge, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Thank you for your review from your stay with us. I’m very sorry to hear that your trip wasn’t the most memorable one. With regards to the ski locker room area and ski locks for Palliser Lodge, they are stand-alone racks that fit both skis and snowboards. Upon check-in we issue guests locks so they can safely secure their belongings. I will follow up with our Team to ensure all guests are getting locks. I’m glad our Maintenance staff was able to get your microwave replaced in a reasonable amount of time. I can understand how that can be an inconvenience. Our Housekeeping Team are to enter the units after 11:00AM or earlier should the guest have checked out. I will follow up with the Team so we can prevent this mistake from happening again. I appreciate your feedback and will use as a learning experience for our Team so we can avoid such issues. I hope we can regain your trust in our services and host you again – Should you return and book direct with Bellstar Hotels & Resorts please ask about our Return Guest Rate for additional savings.