“Doesn't get better!”

Palliser Lodge - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Golden
Reviewed 23 March 2014

This was my first time at Kicking Horse. I travel with a group of skiers from New York a few times a year. We usually hit Whistler if we are going to Canada but heard great things about Kicking Horse and Revelstoke so we decided to fly in to Calgary this time. I suggest renting a big SUV as we did - the roads can get pretty dicey at times, especially between Kicking Horse and Revelstoke. The staff at the hotel was able to make great recommendations and thought The Palliser Lodge would suit our needs perfectly. We had a big suite with two levels, large living area and a private hot tub on our patio overlooking the ski hill. The front desk was amazing with providing suggestions for dinner, snowmobiling and heli-skiing. The bedding could use an upgrade but after our days, we could have slept well in a snowbank. We will be back next year! The skiing is heaven and comparable to the terrain you ski out of a chopper!

Room Tip: get a room with a hot tub and a view of the ski hill, housekeeping does not come every day but broug...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Timothy C, Hotel Manager at Palliser Lodge - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear Will,

Thank you very much for sharing your stellar review of our Palliser Lodge.

I am thrilled to hear your first trip to Kicking Horse was outstanding. I will be sure to share your comments with our team. I must agree, it really doesn't get better! The views, location and private hot tubs are the perfect backdrop unforgettable experience.

We can't wait to have you back and hope to become one of your annual ski destinations. Please mention you are a repeat guest upon your next booking for a special rate!

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Suite was not clean (dust bunnies, stove covered in smeared grease) and it appeared no dishes were present, but the they were left in the dishwasher. Some of the dishes in the dishwasher were not even properly cleaned and we had to wash a few of them. The dishes should have been put away and their cleanliness tended to. The balcony was covered in cigarette butts when we arrived. The dvd player was broken and there was no way to listen to music. Few towels are available but there are insuite laundry facilties.

Hot tub on the deck was nice to have. Water was clean and it was functioning.

Beds were not overly comfortable in this unit. The bedding was clean and bed made.

As our friends had stayed at another suite in the building a week prior we were expecting similar amenities that they described, but it turns out extra things are provided by the individual suite owners, such as working alarm clocks, or ipod docks, or other things that seem standard when you pay basically the same rates no matter the suite or direction it faces. This does the rest of the units a very big disfavor when certain amenities aren't standard. For the rates you pay, an ipod dock should be standard! I would have rated better if I did not have so many high standards

Room Tip: Ask for amenities such as ipod dock and slope/mountain facing! Ask for the 2 bed unit that has ensui...

Dear Marabear,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments from your recent stay with us at the Palliser Lodge.

Please accept my personal apologies for the housekeeping shortfalls in your suite, this is absolutely unacceptable and I will be following up with the appropriate team members.

I am very happy to hear you enjoyed the private hot tub on your patio.

We will be following up with our reservations specialists regarding communication of different rooms and amenities. You are correct, owners of the units are free to add custom amenities to their suites. I am working on a technology upgrade and hope to have some results this summer.

Please contact me directly should you wish to discuss matters further at 250-439-1160 ext 7503 or by email at timc@bellstar.ca.

I would like the opportunity to have you back for an exceptional stay at Kicking Horse and to make things right.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed at the Paliliser Lodge from February the 27th to March the 2nd for 4 nights in unit 406, a 2 bedroom unit. We had rented there 2 years before in unit 401, a one bedroom + loft, wich we had enjoyed. Apart a few scratches and food and/or beverage on the walls, the unit was very nice, with beautifull volumetry, a personal hot tub, a balcony, heated tile floors, etc. The first night, we slept like babies, no noise and total darkness. But on the second day arrived what we call uncivilized people in unit 404, next to us. They kept us awake from midnight until 4 o'clock in the morning. First they would wake us up by beeing loud in the hallway, then by talking loud / laughing / singing in the unit. And also by letting their spa opened all night and their inside and outside lighting on. We did not call the reception, we always tought it would stop, but we did mention it to the desk the next morning. We knocked on their wall and others did too as we heard them. The night after was not too bad and the last was nice, but the outside lamps stayed on so it wasn't as quite dark as the first night was. The main critic goes to the esthablishment. We are 2 architects that do many social housing project. And never we have seen such bad insonorisation. Not only could we hear our neighboor pee in the toilet, we also heard their electric toothbrush ! Having a bedroom that shares a triangular volumetry with another unit makes you have more noise and light (no blinds in the triangular window above) comming from the other unit. The insonorisation is so bad that even my daughter that slept in the other bedromm with her door shut was awaken. I can unfortunatly not call this a 4 star. Will probably not go back. Our ski days we terrible due to the lack of sleep. We did get good service as there we missing things in the condo (towels for the spa, light bulbs, ...)

Room Tip: Last floor has nice volumetry in the main room and the bedroom in the 2 bedroom units. In 401 you ca...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank fortinarchitecture

Bonjour Les Fortins,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor Community. Feedback such as this only helps us improve our operation and grow - we appreciate it.

I would like to apologize for the multiple issues that caused your family lack of sleep. I know how frustrating this can be before and after a big day on the ski hill. In regards to your noisy neighbours, in the future, please do not hesitate to contact our 24hr front desk, we would have dealt with that issue promptly and effectively.

I understand that noise travels depending on which room or area of the building you stay in, while this is beyond our control as the rental manager, I will definitely communicate your concerns to our owners and the property manager.

Please contact me directly at 250-439-1160 ext 7503 or at timc@bellstar.ca to discuss matters further. I would love the opportunity to have you stay with us again at another property on mountain such as the Glacier Mountaineer, The Aspens or in one of our vacation homes.

Once again, please accept my personal apologies for the inconveniences caused during your stay.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Merci,

Reviewed 13 March 2014

The room was clean and well taken care of. The TV was about 15 inches and was old. I did not find the king size bed comfortable, but that might be a matter of personal preference. There is no hotel staff in this hotel. When you check in its at the Glacier Lodge. That would have been nice to know in advance since we wasted time going from Glacier Lodge to Palliser Lodge and then back to Glacier Lodge.

Dear Vanessa,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us, we appreciate you taking the time.

In regards to check in, this is stated on the confirmation and eConcierge emails, however I will make sure this is more clear with our agents when making reservations and will communicate this to our wholesalers as well.

We are currently working on the TV situation and hope to make some progress this summer.

We hope to see you again soon, please mention you are a repeat guest for a special deal and join Bellstar's eClub for the most exclusive offers at all of our resorts across western Canada!

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Ive been coming to the hill for years, Kicking horse is a great mountain. I sometimes stay with friends, I sometimes stay at the hill. First time staying at the Palliser Lodge, its nice to be able to park my truck underground and leave it there for the duration of my stay. Bought groceries in town, loved the full kitchen and barbecue area. While there was no actual front desk at the Lodge, any request we made was met quickly and effectively. I highly suggest booking a room with a hot tub, as we spent most of our apres ski time in there, looking at the runs we had just skied. The one thing I would suggest would be purchasing newer Tv's for the rooms. Overall great stay, great skiing, we will be back!

Room Tip: Book one with a private hot tub
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Timothy C, Hotel Manager at Palliser Lodge - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Hamish M,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at The Palliser Lodge with the TripAdvisor community.

I am thrilled to hear you had an exceptional Stay | with Bellstar at Kicking Horse. I am happy to share we are currently working on a TV refurbishment for our suites at The Palliser.

Thanks for your helpful tip regarding private hot tubs, I must admit, nothing beats them after a big day of skiing.

Please be sure to mention our Customer Appreciate Rate upon your next booking.

W. Timothy Charron,
Hotel Manager, Kicking Horse Mountain Resorts
Bellstar Hotels & Resorts Ltd.
Delivering exceptional resort experiences for guests & owners

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Second time for us at this accommodation group's location. Cordially greeted by resort staff and apprised of all amenities. Suite was received in very clean and serviceable condition. Skiing was excellent! An issue with frozen plumbing caused some inconvenience regarding water supply - accommodation Manager proved amenable to discussing / negotiating satisfactory recompense. We like this lodge and this location - are already planning next year's visit.
I note a number of complaints on this site regarding reception / front desk staffing being located in another (nearby) building. Unfortunate that some people seem unable to read / comprehend the clearly posted information on the resort's website. This 'problem' has never proved to be an issue for us.

Room Tip: Suites with private outdoor hot tubs add a wonderful touch!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roger C
Timothy C, Hotel Manager at Palliser Lodge - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear Roger,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. We greatly appreciate the feedback!

Although the water leak situation was an unfortunately one, I am very happy to hear we were able to resolve it to your satisfaction.Thank you for your helpful tips regarding check in!

We can't wait to welcome you back, Roger! Please be sure to check out our website for the best deals and packages!

Reviewed 22 December 2013

As I soon learnt, you have to be careful when booking accommodation through the Kicking Horse Mountain Resort website. You get the impression when booking, that all the on mountain accommodations are separate entities, but you soon discover, that most are owned by Bellstar.

Palliser is the sister lodge to the Glacier Mountain Lodge. You could say it's an overflow accommodation.

If you're unfamiliar with the RCR who control many of the accommodations and booking operations for places like KH, Fernie, Nakiska, Panorama and so on. You'll soon learn that it's a rough operation and many of the staff have little training or clue as to what they're suppose to be doing on mountain.

I booked for the Palliser through the KHMR website and had to check in at the adjacent Glacier Lodge. Book for one place check in at another? OK.

I soon discovered that the water wasn't working in our self contained apartment. And that simple amenties that are provided else where in up-market lodges like; towels for the hot tub in the change rooms were absent. I would have called guest services but the phone in our room didn't work. I repeatedly asked Glacier lodge to get it fixed and the said "Sure, we'll get right on it".

They never got me a working phone in my room during my stay.

If I had a problem, they told me to call the RCR hotline.

The rooms were sufficient but dated. Creaky floor boards and hallways reminiscent of the movie "The Shining" Need I say more.

Room Tip: Get some nice accomdation off mountain. Drive up it's not worth staying on this mountain.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Tifob
Chris L, Manager at Palliser Lodge - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Thank you for your feedback from your stay with us at Palliser Lodge. I am sorry to hear that you encountered troubles during your stay that may have affected the enjoyment of your holiday. As we manage a lot of the on hill accommodations our central check-in out of the Glacier Lodge and we do our absolute best to inform guests prior to arrival.

Thank you for bringing forward the issues you encountered with the water and your phone line and I apologize that we were not able to fix it for you. A member of our team should have responded to your requests directly and fixed both issues rather than directing you to contact RCR. In the future you can expect a more immediate and direct response from our team.

I hope we can welcome you back in the future to provide you with an exceptional stay!