“Almost killed my child!!”
Review of Mary's Motel

Mary's Motel
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Golden
Winnipeg, Canada
“Almost killed my child!!”
Reviewed 30 December 2010

I went to Mary's motel with my husband and two children, one child was small and just crawling then. We walked around for 20 mins before we realized our feet were completely black. Baby's knee's and palms too. I was disgusted a bit and worried about having the little one there being so close to the floor. I then looked over at my youngest who was being very quiet, thats when you know they found something curious. I look down only to see a DIRTY DRIPPING condom in her hands as she was about to put it in her mouth!!! i'm so angry until this day about it, if she were ever to have put it in her mouth as all small ones tend to do. Who knows what could have happened. I told the owner about it and he did nothing!! the next morning my family and I decided we would not stay there anymore for the duration of our trip. We went to make coffee and only found 4 sugars which was not enough for him and I. We went to the office to ask for more and he refused to give it to us because the room service provided enough when she prepared our room. I have stayed in many of motels in my life, a lot and not the best but never have i experienced this in my life!!! almost killed my baby.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank tbelley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 15 July 2010

price was 89 dollars. The mattresses for the beds were terrible compared to other 89 dollar motels where they used sealy's etc. Was really disappointed with the beds. It was a kitchen suite but the fridge was unplugged. I plugged it in and it didn't work. It was a non smoking room but situated atop a smoking room. Had it been my motel I would have put smoking rooms on the bottom or separated them so they couldn't effect one another. Decent bathtub. Decent sound proofing so room was quiet. the motel lobby was clean which was a decent sign. I never did get to use the indoor facility's. My main beef was that it was not near the main highway and I needed a map and directions to find it [there directions of turn left at soby's were useless as I couldn't see the postage stamp sized sign for soby's from the highway. I had also asked for a one bed room but got two beds. for 89 dollars it was ok but was below average for 89 dollar motels [depending on where you go]. The wifi was a joke and un useable. Wrapped glasses at sink were so dirty it was gross. Don't use the wrapped glasses without looking at them under light.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Justus007-001
London
Reviewed 7 May 2010

I actually didn’t mind this place; it was pretty basic and not bad value – esp. if you have 3-4 in a room. I preferred this location to all the horrible hotels on the freeway. We were only here to Ski and really I can’t think that many tourists come for anything else. The town is a real old western town, with some good little pubs and restaurants, but nothing really special. The motel is a stones throw away from the supermarkets and a short walk to the ski bus, and has full cable TV and a pool. The old couple that run the motel are also very friendly.
It was a good stay but nothing special.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
Victoria
Reviewed 30 January 2010

Non-smoking rooms smell bad. Carpet is filthy. Beds barely adequate. Parking lot is a gravelly mess. Wireless internet signal was so poor as to be useless.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Golden hotels

Calgary
Reviewed 22 January 2010

The hotel staff, manager especially were outstandingly rude. My discontent with this hotel is tangible. The rooms were average, but were not cleaned nightly, and the beds were uncomfortable. I have never been so appalled at the service in a hotel. Warning: DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed January 2010
vancouver
Reviewed 4 January 2010

Friendly people work there. We got a clean room for a very reasonable rate, I also needed some additional pillows and they got them for me right away. I enjoyed my stay

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
Golden, Canada
Reviewed 16 August 2009

Not the greatest, but our rooms (two nights) were clean and comfortable. Bathroom fine. It's old, doesn't try to hide the fact, but the rooms had been redone not too terribly long ago. Refrigerator and microwave, reasonable pay-to-use Internet computer in office. No complaints once we understand that this is not a Best Western. It is a block from the center of the real town of Golden (not the highway strip with the Travelodges etc), a block from a big grocery store, a block from Glacier Rafting (a GREAT outfit!!; we had a wonderful day with them on the Kicking Horse River). I have stayed at this motel previously while travelling by bicycle, and I noticed some cyclists staying this time: I suggest that this is a good sign! A bit pricey for its class: $114 total. But a far nicer experience in Golden than on the highway strip, in my opinion.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple