“Low-cost, good motel”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Cranbrook
Great Lakes
“Low-cost, good motel”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

A fine little motel for those of us who prefer to avoid chains. It is two-story, with a small outdoor pool. The rooms are clean and the property is well-cared for. The staff are pleasant and accommodating. This place works well for a family who need a quick overnight in Cranbrook.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I stayed in the Lazy Bear Lodge in July of 2012, and I must say it was the worst hotel experience I have ever had. When we arrived we were greeted with a 5 dollar discount off the room price, VERY NICE! But when we got into the room however, we found the sheets were stained, the shower was mouldy, and best yet, there were hair clippings covering every item in the room. It looked like the previous guest had used an electric shaver and let all of the clippings stick to everything in the room. After this, it was clear the room was not cleaned. At about 11pm, an intoxicated prostitute began banging on the door, yelling "Travis!! Let me in!" We immediately called the front desk and received the explanation "Pimp boss gone now, I kick him out, he no come back!" This was reassuring at best. As I readied a fire extinguisher to strike whoever might kick down the door, my wife packed our articles to leave. There was a lot of yelling and screaming between the prostitute and the other guests. When she was gone, we left and went to the lobby to receive a refund. We were told "No refund" After a lot of arguing and effort, the manager was gracious enough to refund us about 30 dollars. We left for the super 8 shortly after. I would not suggest this place to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Joe P
Reviewed 25 May 2013

My wife and I are expecting very soon (11 days over due). We checked in at the recommendation of our midwife and unexpectedly got admitted to the hospital the next morning. When I explained the situation to the front desk they charged me for the night even though I had tried to check out at 10:30am. I am very disappointded that the hospital and midwife would recommend a place offering them business and then the establishment would not be considerate because of a medical situation. I will obviously never stay there again and will be recommending that the midwife and hospital not provide them any more business either!

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank jlangille
Michael H, Owner at Lazy Bear Lodge, responded to this review, 1 June 2013
Thanks first for taking time to write a review.But this review not talking the truth.

I am the owner of Lazy Bear Lodge.At the day you want to leave,the on site manager explained to you the cancellation policy ,you were not happy with that and left.So the manager called me right away.

Beacause you are refered from the hospital,I agree to refund all the money to you(no cancellation fee,no charge for extra night).The manager and I called you at the number 12508657200 the whole afternoon and the whole night to come to the front desk to get whole refund,but nobody answered the phone,and even we put a note on the room door.The next day you came to the font desk Lazy Bear Lodge,I refunded all the money(no charge for the night )which you want to you and you said thanks to me.

So I don't understand why you still post this review to the tripadvisor.Maybe some misunderstanding happened(maybe you write a review right after you talk to the manager).

That is totally unfair to Lazy Bear Lodge.I strongly recommend Tripadvisor send a email to Jlangille and ask him if any misunderstanding occured.

If something wrong happened,Tripadvisor,please cancel this review which is not the truth.
Cochrane, Canada
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I love this type of Motel. It's a bit 70's in it's style, but you can tell the owner(s) try hard to compete against the big chains in the area. I was on a fast trip thru, and just needed a place to lay my head for the night. Easy check in, nice clean and fairly big room, updated flat screen TV. Serverla restaurants within walking distance (although be careful, Cranbrook closes down earlier than bigger centres! The Domino's was closed at 10:30pm so I drove to BP down the road to get the pizza I was looking for. Liquor store right across the street and Denny's a block away. Hey for the price, and NOT sacrificing cleanliness, it's a hard place to beat!!

Room Tip: Ground floor units are right across from the pool
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank FootlooseWithKids
Kaslo, Canada
Reviewed 29 December 2012

The reviews I read made me think this was at least above average, and was about 25% cheaper than other places. Not at all. The breakfast is in the reception area, and consists of a few supermarket muffins, coffee and I'm not sure whatelse cuz I went down the road to a breakfast cafe. There is no coffee in the rooms, the highway traffic is noticeable, and the bed squeeks, and is hard. I had second thoughts after checking in but the owner wanted payment upon check in, so my wife and I just made the best of it.

The owners have tried to update the place, but it's still along the lines of a 'no-tell' motel.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Robert A
Mead, Washington, USA
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We've stayed here half a dozen times over the years and have never had a less-than-excellent experience. An older facility but very clean and quiet. Manager is always friendly and accomodating. My favorite indoor place to stay in Canada.

Motor Cycle friendly and motorcycles often block access to the stairs to the top floor.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tim H
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Myself and a friend were on a motorcycle trip travelling through Cranbrook B.C. We saw the sign "Bikers Welcome" so we stopped and got a room. The owner looked after us and also gave us a free beer, which was more than welcome given the warm day. We found the room simple but clean and comfortable. There was even a big screen T.V. Enjoyed the stay and will go back.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends