“Comfortable Bed but...”

Sandman Inn Cranbrook
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Cranbrook
Reviewed 21 April 2013

On arrival I was informed that my reservation rate ($79.00 per night) had not been confirmed with the reserving organization but they were pleased to offer me a Queen room with breakfast for $94.00 plus taxes. I accepted that but, after consideration; requested the original rate.
The room was the smallest I have experienced in a national chain. The bathroom door would not open fully because the toilet was in the way. The two lower drawers were unusable because of damage to the right hand side of the dresser. The refrigerator door was difficult to open because it rubbed on the unevenly carpeted floor.
The next morning we had breakfast with others attending the same event and I learned the breakfast offered with the Queen room was limited to 2 scrambled eggs, 2 pancakes, 1 sausage, and 1 bacon - no substitutions and coffee was $2.50. One person did not want the pancakes but was informed they were part of the breakfast. We had our choice of breakfast with coffee and tip for $20.95.The following morning I remembered a restaurant where I had eaten for many years and we had the breakfast special (eggs,bacon, ham, or sausage, toast, hash browns, home-made strawberry jam or marmalade, and coffee plus tip for $20.00. The service was more efficient and pleasant than Denny's. The Grill is opposite the Days Inn and a 5 minute drive from thew Sandman. The staff were pleasant and efficient and the day clerk explained the difficulty with uneven flooring resulted from the building settling. The bed was comfortable and I slept well but I won't be returning to the Sandman.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Sandmandan, General Manager at Sandman Inn Cranbrook, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thanks for your review. The room you stayed in was one with one queen bed. We do have larger rooms and if you decide to stay with us again, I would encourage you to ask for one. Regarding the quote for the room, it is definitely good practice to honour the quote we originally extend to you. This is normal practice with us and I apologize that it did not happen in your case. We now include coffee or tea in our breakfast package. We are pleased that you enjoyed the comfortable bed and hope that you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Room was converted from a double to a king, had ruts in the floor, holes in the wall and some kind of bug or worm hanging all over the ceiling. Staff didn't care about how our stay was, were rude on check-in and check-out. Train noise is terrible and they run all night long. It took us 45 minutes to get our order taken for breakfast in the attached Denny's and the place wasn't even one quarter full. We are not complainers, always make the best of what we get but this is the worst I have seen in years.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. We do have certain rooms that are not as attractive as others due to the settling of the building. As a manager, I do not encourage rudeness on our staff's part on any occasion. We do strive to be professional and polite to our guests at all times. There are times that housekeeping situations are overlooked and we do appreciate you pointing this out in regards to the bug or worm in the room. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 21 March 2013

My husband and I stayed here on Friday March 15th,2013. We were driving through to Calgary. We have stayed in many Sandman's over the years and we were content with this one. On the Monday, March 18th, we sent our son to stay here as he was also heading through to Calgary. I called ahead for pricing and was told it was $99 for the night. He arrived and called me after he checked in. He was charged $134.00 instead. I phoned the front desk from home and asked for a room for the night and was again told $99. I was extremely upset, and asked the gentleman on the phone why then was my son just charged $134.00. As he scrambled to find a reason, none of which were acceptable nor professional, my son went back, and got his money back. Don't advertise a price, and then rip off a customer. It will be our last stay with Sandman for this family. There were lots of hotels in Cranbrook, a lot nicer than this one if we wanted to pay that kind of money.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. Quoting one price and then offering a higher price is not good practice and I am happy that a refund was given in your case. We hope to see you again and trust that you will have a favourable impression of us in the event you decide to stay with us on another occasion.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

We recently stayed at the Sandman and have to say it was one of the best hotels we've stayed in in Cranbrook. The rooms were clean, the 24hr Denny's was a bonus, the pool had the clearest water ever, and the staff was just the icing on the cake. We will definitely be staying there again!

Room Tip: Request a room away from the tracks if you are a light sleeper. The train goes by once in the evenin...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TheFoodCritic101

Thank you for your positive review. It is especially gratifying to hear a guest extoll the virtues of our staff's excellence in service, as this is a goal we are constantly striving to attain. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 23 November 2012

Absolutely amazing staff and would stay any time we r in cranbrook everyone rocks. Couldn't ask for a better place the only thing missing is a nice big hot the pool was Awsome as well thanks again I highly recommend stayin at the sandman inn

• Stayed: November 2012
Sandmandan, General Manager at Sandman Inn Cranbrook, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2012

Thank you for your review on our property and I am glad that you were so impressed with our excellence in service, which we pride ourselves in extending to our guests. Also, I am happy that you enjoyed the pool. We look forward to your next stay with us. See you next time.

Reviewed 12 October 2012

Ok room, but front desk staff was good. Good value! Some people were upset that there wasn't an elevator, but other than that out stay was nice and the hotel was convenient. we would definitely stay at the Sandman again.

• Stayed: October 2012

Thank you for your review and indicating that our hotel is convenient. We are definitely close to shopping, downtown and recreation facilities with the added bonus of having a 24-hour on-site Denny's Restaurant. Being that we only have two floors, we do not have an elevator; however, I know some people would find an elevator convenient. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 5 October 2012

I am having a lovely stay with the most wonderful and helpful staff! We had some noise issues but they wnet above and beyond to make us happy. I do wish there was a gym, oh well! I guess I get a day off. Thank you Sandman Cranbrook for being so awesome!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Sandmandan, Manager at Sandman Inn Cranbrook, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2012

Thank you for your positive review. I am glad you had a wonderful stay. We appreciate both positive and negative feedback. Our staff strive to exceed guest expectations. I am happy that the noise issue was resolved in a timely manner. Once again, thank you and we hope to see you, again.