“Downhill slide”

Sandman Inn Cranbrook
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Cranbrook
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I have been staying here once a month for two years now, so I have noticed a big change in two years.
The manager that used to hold things together has had health issues, and is not always working, so that could be one factor, but other things are becoming noticeable.
The coffee pot in my usual room was chipped 3 months ago, and not replaced.
Wifi was not working last month, fixed now.
The mirror in the room I am in now, has fallen off the wall and is now just propped up on the sink countertop.
The Pool is now a "Green" Pool, a lovely shade of lavender has the water, and of course no one dares to swim in it.
Housekeeping is doing a great job of keeping everything clean, but it appears as if the parent company has abandoned this property and is not putting any money into it, I would not be surprised to see this property up for sale in the near future.
Last night, high summer season, only 4 rooms booked, parking lot had 2 cars, so that's me, and 3 other people.
Staff is still friendly and attentive, but that only goes so far.
My advice? avoid this place

Room Tip: Choose a room at another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Sandmandan, Manager at Sandman Inn Cranbrook, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you for your review and thank you for being such a faithful guest for the past two years. The manager did have health issues for several months and is now back on a regular basis. It certainly sounds like we have overlooked a few things, such as the fallen mirror and chipped coffee pot. From you comments, it is evident that housekeeping is doing a great job, which is gratifying to hear. Regarding the pool, we have had some filtration issues, but have now addressed this. Also, we just closed the pool down for six weeks in order to do an overall renovation, so it is now in a much improved state. Also, your positive comments on the staff are much appreciated, as we strive to provide excellence in service. In light of recent improvements, I would encourage you to give us another chance as your choice of accommodation while in Cranbrook.

There are newer reviews for Sandman Inn Cranbrook

Reviewed 25 July 2013

This property used to be a preferred choice in Cranbrook but it has really lost its lustre.Our room had an old air conditioner that was held together with duct tape. It worked rather poorly. The wall paper on either side was peeling.
The property has become old and outdated in feel. Given the price ($114) this is not good value.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OldFart06
Sandmandan, General Manager at Sandman Inn Cranbrook, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you for your review. We always appreciate guest reviews whether positive or negative. Our property is an older property and we are always endeavouring to make things look better, which can be a challenge at times insofar as constant upkeep. Regarding air conditioners, we are in the process of replacing the older ones. Sometimes, we do overlook the appearance in certain areas and are happy when a guest points out a defect. We hope that you will stay with us again when in Cranbrook.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

we stayed here as a middle destination for our trip. It was just a night. We found the hotel staff very friendly and easy to work with. The hotel room was so small, that it felt like even for two of us we were tripping over each other. Any more time here and claustrophobia would have set in, that being said, the rooms were spotless and clean.

Room Tip: I think ones with two queen beds would be larger.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Prairiegirls16

Thank you for your review. Regarding the size of the room which you occupied, it sounds like it was a room with one queen bed, which are quite small. We encourage you to request a room with two beds or a king size bed. These rooms are much larger and would probably better suit your accommodation needs.

Reviewed 21 April 2013

On arrival I was informed that my reservation rate ($79.00 per night) had not been confirmed with the reserving organization but they were pleased to offer me a Queen room with breakfast for $94.00 plus taxes. I accepted that but, after consideration; requested the original rate.
The room was the smallest I have experienced in a national chain. The bathroom door would not open fully because the toilet was in the way. The two lower drawers were unusable because of damage to the right hand side of the dresser. The refrigerator door was difficult to open because it rubbed on the unevenly carpeted floor.
The next morning we had breakfast with others attending the same event and I learned the breakfast offered with the Queen room was limited to 2 scrambled eggs, 2 pancakes, 1 sausage, and 1 bacon - no substitutions and coffee was $2.50. One person did not want the pancakes but was informed they were part of the breakfast. We had our choice of breakfast with coffee and tip for $20.95.The following morning I remembered a restaurant where I had eaten for many years and we had the breakfast special (eggs,bacon, ham, or sausage, toast, hash browns, home-made strawberry jam or marmalade, and coffee plus tip for $20.00. The service was more efficient and pleasant than Denny's. The Grill is opposite the Days Inn and a 5 minute drive from thew Sandman. The staff were pleasant and efficient and the day clerk explained the difficulty with uneven flooring resulted from the building settling. The bed was comfortable and I slept well but I won't be returning to the Sandman.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your review. The room you stayed in was one with one queen bed. We do have larger rooms and if you decide to stay with us again, I would encourage you to ask for one. Regarding the quote for the room, it is definitely good practice to honour the quote we originally extend to you. This is normal practice with us and I apologize that it did not happen in your case. We now include coffee or tea in our breakfast package. We are pleased that you enjoyed the comfortable bed and hope that you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Room was converted from a double to a king, had ruts in the floor, holes in the wall and some kind of bug or worm hanging all over the ceiling. Staff didn't care about how our stay was, were rude on check-in and check-out. Train noise is terrible and they run all night long. It took us 45 minutes to get our order taken for breakfast in the attached Denny's and the place wasn't even one quarter full. We are not complainers, always make the best of what we get but this is the worst I have seen in years.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. We do have certain rooms that are not as attractive as others due to the settling of the building. As a manager, I do not encourage rudeness on our staff's part on any occasion. We do strive to be professional and polite to our guests at all times. There are times that housekeeping situations are overlooked and we do appreciate you pointing this out in regards to the bug or worm in the room. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 21 March 2013

My husband and I stayed here on Friday March 15th,2013. We were driving through to Calgary. We have stayed in many Sandman's over the years and we were content with this one. On the Monday, March 18th, we sent our son to stay here as he was also heading through to Calgary. I called ahead for pricing and was told it was $99 for the night. He arrived and called me after he checked in. He was charged $134.00 instead. I phoned the front desk from home and asked for a room for the night and was again told $99. I was extremely upset, and asked the gentleman on the phone why then was my son just charged $134.00. As he scrambled to find a reason, none of which were acceptable nor professional, my son went back, and got his money back. Don't advertise a price, and then rip off a customer. It will be our last stay with Sandman for this family. There were lots of hotels in Cranbrook, a lot nicer than this one if we wanted to pay that kind of money.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. Quoting one price and then offering a higher price is not good practice and I am happy that a refund was given in your case. We hope to see you again and trust that you will have a favourable impression of us in the event you decide to stay with us on another occasion.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

We recently stayed at the Sandman and have to say it was one of the best hotels we've stayed in in Cranbrook. The rooms were clean, the 24hr Denny's was a bonus, the pool had the clearest water ever, and the staff was just the icing on the cake. We will definitely be staying there again!

Room Tip: Request a room away from the tracks if you are a light sleeper. The train goes by once in the evenin...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TheFoodCritic101

Thank you for your positive review. It is especially gratifying to hear a guest extoll the virtues of our staff's excellence in service, as this is a goal we are constantly striving to attain. We hope to see you again.