“Bad experience”

Cranbrook History Centre
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Cranbrook
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This museum houses the TransCanada Limited, a 1929 luxury train, as well as many other restored Canadian trains.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stairs / lift, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I would love to tell you that this is a great museum to visit but from all account this "museum" appears to be only a gift shop. Their railway exhibits never seems to be open regardless of what their web-site states. If you call ahead to the museum to confirm the tours are open - they are not, but surprise the gift shop is! After a year of trying to tour the museum's rail exhibit without success, I have resigned myself to the fact this will never happen. This is one of the most poorly run tourist attraction I have been to.

4  Thank Kobayaski C

Reviewed 15 May 2014

My friends and I visited this museum last fall/winter, 2013. The guide for the 1pm or 1:30pm time lot did not show up, the receptionist tried calling around to find a replacement ... to no avail. We left disappointed as we drove from Calgary to Cranbrook. I called again today to make arrangements for May 24th, 2014, more than one week out. I was told again that no one would be there to guide us as the summer students would not be in place yet. After a discussion with the current Executive Manager, he decided that the best way to deal with me was to 'hang up'. This, in my opinion, was completely unprofessional. Do yourself a favour and don't waste your time, chances are you won't get in because either no guide will be there or you will have the door slammed in your face.

5  Thank SKH2013
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Be sure to make time in your visit to Cranbrook to tour the Railway Museum. Even if you don't think you are a "train" fan the history in this display is absolutely fantastic! Do do visit!!!

1  Thank DeanoJeano
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Located on a busy road, but very easy to find. The Royal Alexandra Hall is a relocated Victorian hall which was reconstructed in Cranbrook, after it was transported from Winnipeg. It has wonderful acoustics, a warm, mellow stately appearance, and is rented out for dinners, weddings ceremonies and conferences. Ours was a wedding, and we we're thrilled with this building . The rail-car tour informs visitors of the history of the Canadian Pacific Railway in Western Canada, and visitors are taken back in time as they are guided through the passenger cars. There are plans to extend the museum , where articles will be displayed in an exhibit hall, so wait for news on this.

1  Thank Genuine49
Reviewed 27 October 2013

If your interested in the golden age of train travel, then this is certainly your place to be. But you have to understand how much time and work it takes to restore historic cars, therefore, don't expect everything to be in just perfect condition (no, this is NOT Disneyland!). But it gives you a great idea what it was like when train travel was in its golden age. I have been to the museum in April and came back today: However, I think I will come back again since the whole place is rather addictive for true train buffs.

1  Thank Markus B