“Great value for a place to sleep”
Review of Nomad Motel

Nomad Motel
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Cranbrook
Edmonton
“Great value for a place to sleep”
Reviewed 28 February 2013

First I must tell you that all my husband and I needed was a place to sleep. We were on our last night of a long road trip and were looking forward to getting home the next day.
When we got here the lot was already pretty full and it was getting close to midnight. The woman who came to the front was exceptionally polite and let us know that the only rooms she had left were in an area where the hot water tank had let go and that there would be nothing for the morning. We were fine with that as all we wanted was a bed. She gave us a ridiculously low price to make up for that and we went to bed. We slept well and went on our way. I believe that even with the hot water tank not being broken, we would have still slept very well. The bed was comfortable and the room was warm.
The only issue that would cause a problem next time is a loud heater. This may have an easy fix, but we didn't really care at the time.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Edmonton
Reviewed 23 January 2013

my wife Edna and I have stayed at Nomad Hotel for 3 times now and it's the best hotel for the place anywhere in the kootenays. i like the belgian waffles toast and coffee in the morning. the room we got was big with two tv's. one in the living room and one in the bedroom with great cable package. they have vcrs in the room with lots of vhs movies to borrow from the front desk. also bbq grill to use and a nice pool for summertime. lots of parking and close to a great pizza restaurant called "apollos". the couple that runs it, Luke and Janet are very friendly and helpful. and their baby daughter is sweet. nice to go there and see her grow up more each time we visit. on the last visit Luke gave me great advice on the ferry to Ainsworth hot springs. he even gave me the brochure with the ferry times. the Kitchenette was one of the best i've seen. with a full refridgerator, full stove, dining table for 4-6 and lots of pots and pans and utensils. also this hotel is on the main strip. Great place! Thanks Luke and Janet!!!

Room Tip: get a kitchenette suite if you can! they have really good kitchenette suites!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ricresch
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2013

January 5th for one night, room 41 First time visit.

This is an older (60's ?) hotel with a lot of renovations in our room. Price is very reasonable. If you expectation is a colour coordinated room with a decorator bathroom and heavenly bed ... you have booked the wrong place. There is obvious pride of ownership and many personal touches in the room. So put your expense and the room in perspective.

The owners are very pleasant helpful people.

The location is very good and we did not find it noisy (it sits on the main strip on the highway and close to downtown).

The room is pleasant with a comfortable bed and reasonably good pillows (I usually travel with my own but their's was fine). Microwave, fridge, VCR (with rafts of movies you could borrow in the lobby), bathroom was in good shape with a sink outside the tub and toilet area. Lots of hot water and comfortable tub.

Room was clean and had engineered hardwood in the bed area and tile in the bathroom space.

For people who are fussy about towels, these were various colours, clean though not sparkling white.

Heat worked well and was set at a lovely temperature after 7 hours of driving and our arrival at 11 pm. It was not a noisy unit and responded well when we turned it down to sleep and up again in the morning.

Breakfast is coffee/tea with toast and waffles.

So if you usually stay at a Holiday Inn or something equivalent, this will not be up to your par, but value for money is very good.

Room Tip: We liked the second floor, I think the bathrooms are layed out better.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed 4 October 2012

My family and I have always stayed at Nomad Motel. We booked our stay for 4 nights last week. The room was nicely cleaned and the owners were very friendly. My family enjoyed the Outdoor Swimming Pool as well as the BBQ grill. We recommend this motel to anyone that wants a low rate and great services. Thank you Nomad, for making our stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: 2 bedroom suite was perfect !
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Angel W
Cranbrook, Canada
Reviewed 22 September 2012

To start, the room was not clean when i checked in, all the sheets on all 3 beds were wrinkled, stained or had hair on them. there was also hair all over the floor. after walking around for 5 minutes my feet were black. i am in a 3 bed kitchen suite and they don't even have the necessities for cooking. There is no more than about 5 min for hot water for a shower. they do housekeeping on a weekly basis and when they do the housekeeping they do not replenish toilet paper and tissue paper. there is one alarm clock for 2 bedrooms. Their website says that they offer full apartment style suites, but they don't. it is still summer and the pool is closed. Their advertisement of a free continental breakfast does not exist. and also at night you can hear everything, from people yelling in the parking lot to cars driving by and even crickets.

To be bluntly honest i feel like i am going to have a disease if i stay here any longer. I think that the motels on the downtown east side of Vancouver are better than this motel.

DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Cranbrook hotels

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Last minute choice as other hotels close were full & it was late. Room was small & could see light around all sides of the door which did not help to rest easy as it felt unsecure. On the plus side all the linens bed & bath had been freshly laundered & the room was very clean. No coffee pot in the room but there was a microwave? We paid the same rate as we did in a 4 star in Spokane so we felt it was way over priced.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Morgantown, West Virginia
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I was shocked with how much the chain hotels were asking for a night (a Sunday night, no less!) so I went hunting around the web. The room here a little over half of what the chains wanted for a room but I couldn't be more pleased with the place. The owners are a lovely couple with an adorable baby. While the building and facility is older, you can tell that the owners care about it and are trying to keep it up. My whole group was really impressed with the solar heating system they have for the pool. We liked that even later in the evening we saw the owners tending to things around the hotel and being social with guests. It was also nice that they had outdoor grills for guest use.

The room was actually more like a one bedroom apartment. There was a full kitchen stocked with dishes for guest use and a full sized fridge. There was a small dining area and living room that had a comfortable futon to double as a couch or bed. The bedroom had two beds in it that were pretty comfortable. The room was also very clean. It was great for traveling with my dad and my husband.

Being on the main highway the hotel is also very close to any amenities one may need. We ended up eating dinner at the Greek restaurant next door.

My husband didn't love it quite as much as I did, but I completely loved this place. It's a complete throwback to the golden age of road trip family vacations.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family