“Fabulous golf”

Wildstone Golf Course
More attraction details
Owner description: Ranked in Canada's Top 100 Courses, the Wildstone Golf Course is the first Black Knight Course by Gary Player Design to be built on Canadian soil. This incredibly well conditioned and player friendly course is set on the rolling highlands above the city of Cranbrook, BC where hole after hole golfers are treated to stunning postcard views of the Canadian Rockies.The course plays from 7,127 yards from the back tees and 4,947 from the front. The attention to detail in the design of the course is obvious. Generous landing areas from the variety of five tee boxes, closely mown green surrounds that allow for a variety of of short game options, well placed white sand bunkers and elegantly contoured greens that put a premium on approach shot accuracy are just some of the reasons that the course has received a 4.5 Star Golf Experience rating.Design: Black Knight Course by Gary Player Design Opened: 2011Par: 72 (37 Out, 35 In)Greens: A4/T1 Bentgrass Fairways: Kentucky Bluegrass.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fabulous golf”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

Loved the challenging course/greens and pristine conditions.......The staff were cheerfull, friendly and very helpful....we'll be back...for sure
Thanx for a great day

Visited August 2013
Chris A, General Manager at Wildstone Golf Course, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Thanks for your Wildstone golf experience comments, it means a lot to us to hear that you enjoyed the course and that the staff were so welcoming.
We look forward to having you back at Wildstone again.

Chris A

Edmonton, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great Course - 5h 15 min”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

Played the course today. It was in excellent condition.
Colin was the Marshal but seemed to have forgotten the cardinal rule of marshaling. Better to annoy the slow foursome and make them pick up the pace instead of saying nothing and annoying every foursome behind them

I love the course but 5hr and 15 minutes is ridiculous.

Glen

1 Thank Glen M
Chris A, General Manager at Wildstone Golf Course, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Thanks for your positive review of Wildstone, great to hear that you enjoyed the golf course. Our average rounds here are around 4.5 hours, anything over 5 hours is too long. I'll discuss this with our Player Assistants to ensure a good pace of play for our guests is maintained.
Best regards.
Vancouver Island, BC
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Great course”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

Excellent design and conditioning. Loved the views of Fisher peak from many holes. Too bad the clubhouse facilities are a little lacking, but I was there for the golf and I wasn't let down at all.

1 Thank conscious14
It's great to hear that you appreciated the Rocky Mountain views and the golf course design at Wildstone. The clubhouse facility that we currently use is a temporary facility for our pro shop, restaurant and deck and we look forward to building a clubhouse that compliments the course in the future.
Thanks for taking the time to submit a review.
Tsawwassen, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent golf course”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

It's a really beautiful course, in excellent condition, with fabulous views. Nothing is easy, nothing is ridiculously hard, and everything about it is interesting and enjoyable to play. And the price was very reasonable!

1 Thank yimiller
Chris A, General Manager at Wildstone Golf Course, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience at Wildstone. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed the course and really appreciate your positive remarks, I'll be sure to pass them along to our team.

Best regards,
Chris A
Calgary, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Unfortunate Golf Experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

I played this course on July 9, 2013. When we arrived at the course, we were notified that the greens had been aerated the previous day. The attendant told us that we should have been contacted by someone to inform us that this was occurring. Unfortunately, that had not happened. After the round, I went to the course website to see if an aeration schedule was posted online, but I could not find anything.

To make things even more frustrating, we also found out that we might have to play the back nine twice in a row, as the maintenance crew might not be able to remove the top dressing from the front nine in time. Also, the putting green was closed because of the aeration.

We had to pay the full green fee.

If I had been told in advance that the course was being aerated, I might have to play the same nine twice, and I would still have to pay the full green fee, I would have adjusted my tee time. One option would have been to walk away, but since our golfing group was from out of town, rescheduling wasn’t an option. As it turns out, the groundskeepers were able to clean up the greens after our first nine, so we were able to play the other nine holes.

I understand courses need to aerate their greens and I have minimal issue playing on them as long as:
- I am made aware that the course is aerating prior to arrival
- I get to play all 18 holes
- I receive a discount on the green fee

When we arrived at the range facility, the pro was in the process of conducting lessons to a group of about 8 young golfers who were taking up almost all of the available range stalls. Again, I have no issue with group lessons, and I’m excited to get young people involved in the game, but perhaps they could move the lesson to a different part of the range so players with tee times don’t have to wait to hit warm up balls. The range is certainly big enough to do so.

The only pleasant surprise of the day was that the slope of the course should have been much higher than the posted 117 from the blue tees. I love tough courses and this one was much harder than other courses in the area. I would guess that the actual slope should be closer to 130. The 18th hole is a 495 yard par 4 from the blue tees. That is an excellent challenge!

Overall however, I was highly disappointed in the experience at Wildstone.

Pros
- Course difficulty was higher than posted

Cons
- Poor aeration experience
- Crowded driving range
- Practice balls not included in green fee

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Chris M
Chris A, General Manager at Wildstone Golf Course, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Very sorry to hear that your experience was so poor and that you were surprised by the aeration being done. Unfortunately aeration is a must to ensure quality conditions throughout the season but we do try to let everyone know that it's being done. I've taken the steps to ensure that the message is given to all guests via telephone and updated the online booking channel to give an aeration message and rate.
We use a 3/8" tine and roll the greens right after to get them as smooth as possible and we give everyone free Pro V1's during aeration.
As for the course rating we've requested a re-rate by the BCGA because I agree that the slope rating is too low.
I hope that you'll come back to play Wildstone, it's normally in fantastic condition and is one of the best values in the area.