“Nice stay”

St. Eugene Golf Resort & Casino
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Cranbrook
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Room is average for this price point but I had absolutly no issues with cleanliness or appointment. The real supprise at this resort was the restaurant. The staff is classically trained and interseted in their work. The ambiance and deccore was very classy and comfortable. the menu provided many options , everything I tried was intersesting and well prepaired. i would recommend this resort for business or a quite weekend with your partner. Definatly would stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay in the old part if you can. Worth the extra dollars.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 17 June 2014

One couldn't ask for a better location in terms of beauty and history. There are several parts of the hotel, and I had requested a quiet room months in advance. By the time I checked in, I was told I would be on the bottom floor, and it was the only available room. The noise factor from the parties was not appreciated. I have to say though, that the food in the lounge was tops, among the best I've ever had. Overall, I found the room to be average, the 'garden view' well, was a few bushes, a balcony, and a driveway....so it didn't meet my expectations. I had hoped to be in the historical section on the top floor, for the amount of money I was charged, as well as being on a top floor.

Room Tip: The hotel is set on beautiful grounds, you can ask for a 'good' room, but it doesn't mea...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank ann g
Reviewed 17 June 2014

As much as I enjoy stayting at St. Eugene Mission (this was not our first time). I have 2 issues both relate to the same issue. After our stay this past May 2014 I did fill out a coment card and follow up with an email and as of June 17 I have had not response from the either the Management at St. Eugene or the parent company. Customer services seems to stop once you are paid up and gone. The issue I was responding to was the practice of chargeing corkage when a customer brings wine into the dining room. The facts are BC does allow this practice but I was told by the beveerage manager that their liquopr licence did not allow this practice, which is not true. If it is the dining room policy not to allow this practice, fine, and if the wine list indicated a significant investment I would understand and accept the decision. But the wine list at St. Eugene provided only minimal choice with little relationship to the menu. Doubtful we will be back..

Room Tip: Don't expect much from the dining experience. The service rating reflects only the dinning room...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank WineGuy117
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

When we arrived the only two check-in girls decided to have an impromptu training session despite the fact that there were 6 people waiting to check in. This is really surprising because it is a small hotel with only two check-in spots and I am sure that 6 people in line constitutes a real "rush" for them. Normally I would not care about this but they were just very inconsiderate of the situation and unable to read the frustration on the guests' faces. It was rude - plain and simple.

There is a difference between "historic" and "old". The hotel was walking a very fine line until I got to my room. The room felt updated and modern, although it definitely preserved its old world charm. The room amenities were excellent - very nice place to stay.

Dinner at the restaurant was quite good but there is a VERY limited wine list. There is a good selection of entry level BC wines, but they would really benefit from a reserve list. Even if they want to stick to their BC focus it would help to have some Oculus and Burrowing Owl selections.

The casino attached to the hotel is quiet and lifeless. The dealers are strict and non-talkative. Overall it was very stiff and probably the most boring casino that I have ever been in when it comes to table games.

Overall, St Eugene provides good value for the money. The building and setting are as beautiful as any place I have stayed at in the eastern kootenays. I am sorry that j did not get a chance to golf because I heard the course is nice. The staff needs to lighten up and realize that guests are there for an enjoyable time and they should be catered too, not looked down upon.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank MisterDonair
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Very nice historical building nicely appointed and updated. Grounds are well kept. Meal in the dining room very good prime rib as good as you will get anywhere. Braised bison ribs tender and excellent flavor. Service very good even though we arrived late in the evening. Will definitely come again if in the area.
Dan

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed for one night. So glad we did. We got the summer special rate so a great deal. Our room was quite large with a king bed and a comfortable small seating area. We ate in the bar restaurant. Great food, exceptional service and reasonably priced. We passed on the main restaurant as being too expensive and formal for our needs. The historical resort is a former Native Canadian children's school which after being closed and sitting empty for over 30 years was renovated by the St Mary's band at a cost of $40 million. They turned it into a first class resort while maintaining the look and history of the original building. Congratulations to everyone involved in turning what no doubt was part of a very dark chapter in Canada's past into a success story

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jakobj
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The resort was beautiful and we had a great time during our 3 day stay. We had 2 very good meals at the 19th Hole and Purcell Grill, however the 1 poor meal that we had was at Fisher Peak Lounge where my husband was served raw fish and my meal was heavily over seasoned. The waitress apologized, but to our dismay, we were still charged full price for the meal and no compensation was offered. Very disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tammie J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cranbrook
Days Inn Cranbrook
Heritage Inn Hotel & Convention Centre
Sandman Inn Cranbrook
Sandman Inn Cranbrook
#14 of 18 in Cranbrook

Been to St. Eugene Golf Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!