“Horrible... They will Steal from you !!!!!”

St. Eugene Golf Resort & Casino
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Cranbrook
Reviewed 25 January 2009

We recently stayed at the St Eugene Mission and it was a HORRIBLE experience. Two weeks after we checked out the hotel charged my Mastercard with $1100 and said that we put a hole in the drapes. I never damaged any drapes nor would I ever authorize such a charge. The hotel never told me about the charge, nor did they send me a bill. I would be very very cautious when staying here or the hotel could steal from you as they did from me. They could just charge your visa with some mysterious damage that you never did.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Calgary_Tyler
StEugeneResort, Director of Sales & Marketing at St. Eugene Golf Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2009

Our hotel is a pet friendly property but we understand that "mistakes" can happen. We make it clear upon registration that any damages caused by the guest or their pet will be charged against the credit card we have on file. An estimate of the damage to the drapes during this guest stay New Year's Eve was $1000 and the credit card was charged as such. The address we had on file to send our notification to the guest resulted in a "returned" notice. However we recognize that notice of a charge of this nature could have been conveyed by telephone contact and we will ensure this procedure is followed in the future.
Wendy Van Puymbroeck
Director of Sales & Marketing

There are newer reviews for St. Eugene Golf Resort & Casino

Reviewed 28 October 2008

This was my second visit to the hotel and my parents' third visit. But, it will certainly be our last!

I would like to begin by stating that the hotel itself is lovely...and the location is beautiful. But, the staff and policies of the hotel will cause us to stay elsewhere.

I booked two rooms for my family. I used my father's BCAA card as we would be staying together as a family. Because we were not all in one room, we could not use the discount for both rooms. A small inconvenience, but was handled poorly by the girl at the front desk. The difference in price was only $20, but could have been handled differently. I was made to feel foolish. The clerk could have said, "Well, don't do this next time...", and that would have been sufficient. We have travelled extensively as a family (to Paris, Vegas, Victoria, Vancouver, and the Bahamas this year alone), and I have always booked our rooms, and have NEVER had an issue. We will not be staying here again. We stopped in at the Prestige Inn and it looked very nice.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 4 August 2008

My dad gave us a romance package for a present when we finnaly announced a wedding date. We were so excited as we had narrowed the resort to one of our wedding choices. We recived the give in June of 2007 and it was good for a whole year. When we used the package they told us the rates had gone up and we would be resposible for the diffrence. I told them i wanted to speak to a manager. I was told I would have to do that in the morning. So we had an amazing evening in the main dining room. One think I cannot take away from this place is the amazing food. It is pricy (but all part of our package). The next moring when we wen to check out I was told everything was taken care of and we were only charged for what we charged to the room. And we left thinking that if you were silly enough just to let them raise the rates even though they have had your money the whole time they would just get away with it and if not, then they would give you the original rate.

Later in the week I got a recipe in the mail charging us the diffrence between the original and new rate. They had charged the credit card I had put to hold the room without my permission and after we left thinking everything was ok.

So I phoned and talked to the manager twice. Both times she told me she would credit my card for the extra money and both times no credit. By the time I fussed around with her I had gone past the 3 month period to dispute it with Master Card. When I asked her how this was any diffrent from makeing a reservation and being garenteed a rate, then there being a rate change. I expect to pay the rate I was garenteed when I made the reservation. A reward for booking in advance. I mean if you purchase a plane ticket 6 months in advance and then rates go up you dont get charged the diffrence.

All I can lead off with is thank God we didn't book our wedding here!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
StEugeneResort, Director of Sales & Marketing at St. Eugene Golf Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2008

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We have made changes to our Gift card system and we believe this will not be an issue in the future. We now put the dollar value of the gift on the certificate itself so the traveller is aware of the available value. The certificate can be used for any of our packages, golf rounds or room nights up to that purchased amount. Room or package pricing is subject to change throughout the year and we believe that by listing the dollar amount the traveller can make their own choice on what they want to enjoy at the Resort. Thanks again,
Wendy Van Puymbroeck
Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed 6 June 2006

A family gathering in early June brought us to Cranbrook and as a group we selected St. Eugene for our hotel. We selected it based on the website description and photos, which we found were accurate representations of the hotel, setting and facilities.

Our room: We stayed in a Standard King room and found it quite nice. The furnishings were good quality, the bed comfortable (I especially liked the down duvet), the bath had marble countertop, hairdryer, ceramic floor, lots of towels and nice aromatherapy products. There was a coffee maker and iron and ironing board provided. The only thing I would have really liked was a bar fridge. Our room was adequate size, however my brother's room (an end unit) was considerably larger (5 - 6 feet wider).

The service was overall very good. The woman who checked us in was a bit gruff and offered little assurance when we requested a room close to my parents. The gentleman who checked in my parents several hours later, though he wasn't able to help us with the room selection either, was more polished and polite about it. I found other staff to be very friendly and helpful. Room service was very good and the hotel's common areas were spotless.

There were several large groups at the hotel that weekend renting blocks of rooms. Since our group rented our rooms individually we were distributed over the 3 floors in the Standard Room wing. Even though the hotel was full, it didn't seem noisy or crowded.

We ate at three of the dining spots. I enjoyed our informal supper at the Fisher Peak Lounge, the food was better than standard pub fare (the Prawn appetizer was a favorite), and the service was wonderful. We had a very private table beside one of the fireplaces where we could watch the ball game as we visited and ate our meal. Most entrees were $10 or less. We had breakfast at the 19th Hole (Golf Clubhouse Bistro) which was just barely okay. We opted for the buffet since they seemed to be under-staffed that morning and we didn't want to have to wait to be served. The buffet was $9.95 and included: scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes and toast. The next morning we ate at the Purcell Grill and for $10.95 we ate a similar meal but with far superior service and atmosphere. Unless you are looking for all-you-can-eat, the value at the full service Purcell Grill is the better choice based on our experience. We didn't get the opportunity to eat at the Purcell for supper, though the menu looked very tempting. Most entrees were priced in the $20-26 range.

The amenities are excellent. There is a Casino for those so-inclined (we did not have an opportunity to spend any time there). It is located in the the same section as our rooms, however we were impressed that there was no noise issue despite the proximity. The fitness center, outdoor pool and hot tub, steam room, sauna, and change rooms were very clean and well maintained. There is a towel service at the entrance to the change rooms. We did not golf so I can't offer any review of St. Eugene's golf course.

The setting for the resort is beautiful and only a short drive to Cranbrook (maybe 10 min).
The furnishings, carpeting and polished wood floors and decor give the St. Eugene's a high-end style. Our room (AAA rate) was $119, which was good value compared to the Prestige Inn, which quoted us over $10 more per night. I would definitely stay here again.

9  Thank gottatravel
Reviewed 29 May 2006

I wrote a review of the St. Eugene last fall and how disappointed we were at the way we were treated, etc. When I complained to the manager last year, he sent us a complimentary one night package which we used this past weekend. The location of the resort is beautiful and the rooms were clean, but the food and the service were the exact same - horrible, horrible, horrible. 99% of the staff seemed to have a really poor attitude, that they just didn't care about the visitors, which leads me to the assumption that maybe working conditions aren't wonderful there. We even got the snotty remark of "what do you want" when going up to order at the saloon. They should really address this. We will definitely not go back and will let friends/family know not to go.

• Stayed: May 2006
5  Thank mimi1968
A TripAdvisor Member
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed 3 April 2006

My Dad and I went to stay for two nights and we were very pleased. My Dad can't get around all that well so we spent our time relaxing and of course the Casino. The staff were excellent and the rates were very reasonable. We talked about it all the way home and we'll be back.

• Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Calgary
Reviewed 4 August 2005

Excellent property! The new pool and health club is very nice and a great addition for attracting families. The golf course is incredible providing a challenge but not impossible to play making it a very enjoyable round. The casino is small but a fun way to spend a couple hours in the evening. Nice, clean and large rooms with comfortable beds. WHAT A GEM!

• Stayed: July 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cranbrook
Days Inn Cranbrook
#13 of 18 in Cranbrook
Polaris Lodge
Polaris Lodge
#4 of 5 in Kimberley

Been to St. Eugene Golf Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!