“Not great value”

Best Western Cranbrook Hotel
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Cranbrook
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I've stayed here a couple times, but probably wouldn't be returning if I were footing the bill. The rooms are a good size, clean, and nicely decorated (but furniture is arranged a bit poorly). It is one of the newest hotels in Cranbrook, so there isn't the issue of old age that's an issue in a lot of the other hotels in town. Rooms have been recently outfitted with very large flat screen TVs that are quite nice. Haven't had any notable problems with the internet during my stays. Staff were pleasant to deal with.

As for the cons - rooms don't include a microwave, which should be a pretty standard item, especially at this price point. Breakfast is not included. Noise from the hallways and floors above can be bothersome if the place is busy, particularly if you're close to the elevator.

There's nothing wrong, but for $120+ per night I'd expect something more. For instance an hour away at the Fernie Best Western I get a lower rate, but get a good free hot breakfast, a microwave, and nicer surroundings.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank tch77
PrestigeHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Cranbrook Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2012

We always appreciate comments from our guests. Our team is always looking for ways to improve our guest’s experience. The Lobby Café does offer breakfast options for those who do not wish to go out. We hope that your next visit will be more enjoyable.

Reviewed 10 November 2011

I recently took part in a charity fund raiser, which saw the group riding the length of the Rockie mountains on Harley Davidson motorcycles. Our bikes were hired from the HD dealer in Cranbrook, therefore an overnight stay was necessary, prior to our departure for the US border.

One of the things which stood out was how beautiful the location was, surpassed only by the picturesque scenery.

The hotel is located on the right side of the main road, heading in the direction for Vancouver. The building is of a simple and functional design, offering the right level of amenities as can be expected from a Best Western hotel. The rooms were clean and the staff were always very friendly. The internet connection was of a good standard. The breakfast was served in a small area, with the food being of a continental breakfast. The hotel is perfect for short/overnight stop-overs.

My only criticism is that the dining area closes by 2300hrs (including the bar) and there is very little else to do in the evening. That being said, Cranbrook is a small town and the local scenery & daytime views certainly compensate for the evening bordom.

I would definitely recommend a traveller to consider renting a Harley from the dealer 50m down the road, therein using the hotel as a base for daily trips.

Room Tip: All rooms to the rear of the building are quieter due to their positioning away from the main road.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Checked in on a Saturday night, the room was fine, but a bit more money than it should have been.
Used the gym area and was very happy to see that the hotel allowed guests to adjust the temperature in the gym. Nice to be able to workout in a cool room. I returned their kindness by adjusting the temperature back to 20 degrees when I left the room.
Went downstairs for breakfast in the morning to find out that the restaurant wasn't going to be open until later in the morning. Quite a surprise, I checked the information in the room the night before and it clearly said breakfast from 6:30 AM seven days a week, no breakfast for us.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank scooplady
PrestigeHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Cranbrook Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2011

My apologies that the Lobby Café was not available for your breakfast needs. Feedback from our guests is very important and we are taking steps to prevent this type of situation from happening in the future. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I am happy you enjoyed your room and the Fitness Center.

Reviewed 17 September 2011

We have stayed at this hotel before and had issues with the internet but I being naive thought that by now they would have that worked out....WRONG!! I also found a pile of long hair in the bathroom which was really gross. Also they have no breakfast included in the rate. I don't think I would recommend this hotel again. The value for the money is not there. A side point though...the front desk staff are nice.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Suzi_mom
PrestigeHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Cranbrook Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2011

Thank you for your review. It is unfortunate that your room was not up to our normal standards. I have relayed your review to our staff. We are working with our internet provider to make sure that our guests are provided with consistent connectivity. We do welcome our guests to enjoy the Urban Taste Fusion Cafe in the lobby for breakfast, lunch, and dinner options. As always, our staff is always available to assist all our guests.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

Stayed one night for business travel. Hotel was very clean, feels very new and good amenities. Pool area would be great for kids and my room was a nice comfotable size. (One king plus chair). Comes with fridge in room with glass door so you can see if you left anything in there when you leave (as I have a habit of doing...), only thing I would like to have seen was a microwave. Bit expensive for Cranbrook in my opinion but every other place similar to the Best Western was the same price.

Overall I would stay again and I would bring my family with me if the opportunity arose.

• Stayed: September 2011
PrestigeHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Cranbrook Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2011

It is very rewarding to know that you enjoyed your stay. Your compliments are very welcome. We will continue to do our best to meet all our guests’ needs. Thank you for letting us know how we have done. We look forward to welcoming you and your family in the future.

Reviewed 11 September 2011

This property is not deserving of the Best Western name. We found the following defects:
No breakfast; yet they imply on their web site that they have a free breakfast as other Best Westerns. This is deceptive, unethical and fraudulent. We checked in at 6 p.m. and found this out at 9 p.m. My wife was tired so we stayed.
The old Tv did not work. Another customer complained when I checked in. We called the front desk and it was over an hour before the overworked clerk came to get it barely working.
The internet speed tested was 1 GB, then 5; but it was extremely slow. Things I downloaded at home in 25 seconds said 6 to 12 minutes.
I want a full refund for lack of service.
I have been a Best Western fan before this episode. I have a hunch any Best Western that does not serve breakfast is sub-standard in all services. They are merely taking advantage of the brand signature and misleading customers for personal gain.
I am writing this from a Super Eight motel in Castlegar that has a plasma TV, fast internet, clean rooms and breakfast. I passed up two Best Westerns that did not serve breakfast and will never stay at one that misuses the brand name.

Lew

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lewmarks

Thank you for your review. I apologize that you were unaware that our property does not offer Complimentary Continental Breakfast. We operate within the requirements of Best Western International by offering the options provided at the Urban Taste Fusion Café located off the lobby. It offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner options as we tell our guests on our website.

We are currently working closely with our internet provider to improve internet connectivity and speed. We understand that this is an important amenity for today’s travellers. I am very pleased to let you know that new flat screen TV’s are on their way to replace our current supply. It is unfortunate that you did not have a pleasant stay with us. We are always striving to meet our guests’ needs. I hope you will try us again on your next visit to Cranbrook.

Reviewed 30 August 2011

Our family recently stayed one night at the BW Cranbrook and, similar to previous stays at this same hotel, ti failed to disappoint. The staff were very friendly, coureous and knowledgable. The rooms were impeccable .... very clean and well maintained. The only place to stay in Cranbrook.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

We really appreciate your review. I am always so happy to hear feedback from our regular guests such as yourself that we are making your stays enjoyable. Our goal is always to give our guests a comfortable stay with all the amenities they require.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cranbrook
Days Inn Cranbrook
#2 of 5 in Kimberley
Model A Inn
Model A Inn
#12 of 18 in Cranbrook

Been to Best Western Cranbrook Hotel? Share your experiences!