“Only Okay”

The Cottage Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 98 Restaurants in Cranbrook
Cuisines: American, Canadian, Soups, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dunan, BC
“Only Okay”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I know this place has many positive comments, but this was our experience:
The service was very slow. had to return coffee because there was lipstick on the cup.
I had the Texan breakfast with my eggs over easy. The eggs to me needed a little more time in the pan, there was still clear jelly on the tops of my eggs. The sausage was terrible. Just tasteless. The bacon and hash browns were good.
The other dish was steak and eggs and they were both cooked as ordered.
Don't go for quick service, it took forever for coffee refills and such.
However, the staff was very friendly. I probably would give this restaurant a second chance when I am back in the area.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank GingerBakerDunan_BC

Cranbrook, Canada
“beware the fish and chips...”
Reviewed 9 November 2012

We DO enjoy the great homemade bread , and other homemade things at The Cottage.
But beware of the fish and chips. We were v e r y surprized when our orders of fish & chips
arrived as neat little triangles - obviously from superstore bulk packs that have been re-fried
in oil. We can re-fry boxed frozen triangles at home. Because most things are wonderfully hand-attended - we thought the fish would be too. I think The Cottage owes it to customers to at least warn them that they are just refried Superstore-type traingles of fish. We were very disappointed that The Cottage didn't live up to their wonderfully - high standard in this area. Hope things change. .... or you know what happens....

• Visited November 2012
4 Thank Eater332
Fernie, Canada
“Homemade goodness!”
Reviewed 14 October 2012

We had lunch here a couple weeks ago, I had the turkey club. It was fantastic and HUGE! It does not come with a side dish but you really don't need one I took half my sandwich home anyway. I had the homemade lemonade and it was perfect not bitter yet not sweet either is was delicious. My husband had the homemade ice tea and he could barely drink it , it was sweeter than your average soda, not refreshing at all. The place was super busy but the food service was still quick. You get the feeling like you are at grandmas house with a bunch of strangers, but the food tasted like it was made with love.
Not my idea of a cozy cottage .....very old style and over crowded decor. but thats just me. The food was amazing though the next time I may just get it as take out and head to the park.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Avocet_9
Cranbrook, Canada
“The best homemade bread around!!!”
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Good food in a neat little place downtown. Where locals like to have lunch. Homemade delicious food, try their cinnamon bun, you won't regret it!

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Ame847
Olympia, Washington
“Great Breakfast!!”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Get the full meal deal with bacon, eggs, hashbrowns and their FABulous bread..everything is home made and delicious. Cute English teahouse atmosphere.

Visited August 2012