“Priceline not welcome”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Courtenay
Vancouver, Canada
“Priceline not welcome”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

I use Priceline often and have never been given bad service at a hotel because of it. For the first time ever, I felt unwelcome because I used Priceline. The hotel gave me this wheelchair room. I went back to the desk and they said I ordered it. I most certainly did not. Well, can I have a regular room? Not a chance. They can`t change a room booked on Priceline. I look up my confirmation and it says nothing about a wheelchair room. No help with this at the front desk. So I am stuck with this room. The hotel seems nice but the room business left a bad taste so I find it difficult to look past that. I travel alot in this area. I stay mostly at Kingisher Resort or Coast Westerly. Thought I'd try this place. They won't get my business again. Need to learn customer service.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
JKMatkin, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Courtenay Comox Valley SW, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear KimDebbie28,

Thank you for your review of your recent experience with us at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites, Comox Valley.

Kimdebbie28, I was very disappointed to read the title of your review as we have always had very positive reviews from our Priceline guests, with a 9.2 out of 10 overall satisfaction score on the Priceline website. While it is certainly true that we are unable to modify dates or cancel reservations made by Priceline,a room type change upon arrival certainly should not be an issue provided the requested room type was available.

I will be speaking to all Guest Service Agents to clarify that although we are unable to modify dates of stay or cancellations for third party website bookings, we can most certainly do our best to modify the room type at the request of the guest so long as we have the availability to do so. Without question, the comfort of our valued guests should be our number one priority regardless of the channel through which the guest has booked their reservations and every guest should expect to feel welcome at our hotel. Every reasonable effort should have been made to find a guestroom more suitable to your preferences.

In researching the situation further, I have confirmed with Priceline that it was a wheelchair accessible reservation that was sent through to our reservations desk. I am expecting a call back from a representative of Priceline to discuss what may have gone wrong during the booking process, and how the room type descriptions are reflected on the confirmation letters issued upon booking. If there are any inaccuracies in our listing, or room types on the Priceline website, we will work directly with Priceline to rectify them immediately.

Thank you again for your candid feedback, we appreciate your brining this matter to our attention, and I hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again and exceed your expectations with the high level of service our Priceline guests both deserve and have come to expect from our hotel.

Readers Please Note:

It is important for travellers that use these sites to be aware that third party reservation websites such as Priceline, Hotwire and Expedia collect payment from the guest directly and pay the hotel for the stay in a separate transaction. As a result of this condition of participation, valued guests must deal directly with the .com company that they booked with directly to modify or cancel a reservation in order to avoid cancellation or modification fees associated with the policies as outlined by the .com reservation company through which the guest has booked.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

Our family of five checked in on a Friday for two nights. All was as to be expected at an Express except for the midget hockey teams who took over the pool, waterslides, and breakfast area while running up and down the halls at all hours, seemingly, unsupervised.

Stayed March 2014
Dear trevortaylor,

Thank you for your review of your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites, Comox Valley.

I am disappointed to hear that the quality of your stay was affected by the high volume of children that we accommodated during your stay with us. While considerable effort is made to ensure that all of our valued guests may enjoy a quiet and comfortable stay during high occupancy time frames, recent experience has made clear that we have some room for improvement in this regard. With the busy hockey season recently behind us, we have been reviewing the events of the season working hard to identify opportunities for improvement as well as ways to further improve the reliable methods we have used in past to afford all of our valued guests a comfortable stay during hockey season.

It is our goal to provide a consistently high level of service and comfort to all of our valued guests year round, and I sincerely apologize that we were unable to meet your expectations in this regard. We will continue to work diligently to ensure that the groups we host are well aware of our expectations for behaviour and that a member of our management staff takes action to enforce our policies with any guest that continues to push the envelope in a respectful but firm manor. It is certainly a reasonable expectation for all of our guests to treat our patrons and our property with respect and we will do our best to ensure this is the case moving forward.

Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent stay with us. We appreciate the candid feedback and welcome the opportunity to improve. Once again trevortaylor, I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or disruption that you experienced during your recent stay with us. We appreciate your comments and hope to have the opportunity to not only meet, but exceed your expectations on a future visit to the Comox Valley.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here many times and once again outstanding. The rooms as always clean and well lit. The staff is helpful in regards to my sons allergies making sure there is something for him to eat for the free breakfast. Yes breakfast not a muffin and stale coffee but a real breakfast.

My son loves the pool and slide( but who doesn't like waterslides)Only downfall is trying to get my son out of the pool to enjoy the comox valley.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

Clean big rooms, bestvpillows ever!!!! front desk staff was super helpful and friendly, my kid loves the pool and water slide, park and walking trails out the back door. Pretty views,Pub down the road for adults;) The breakfast is awesome and they are super accommodating with my sons allergies...... perfect place to stay when im in the valley;) as always!

• Stayed March 2014
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Worst hotel experience ever. Unless you are travelling with a hockey team, avoid this hotel.
We were stuck in a room surrounded by hockey team members. At 1am there was still a loud drunken hockey parent party going on in the room next to ours. Not good if you are planning on skiing early in the morning.
Complaints to the front desk did not break up the party. But they did offer us a free room upgrade on our next visit. Small conciliation since we would have had a better sleep pitching a tent beside a freeway.
And will obviously never stay at this hotel again. Felt duped. They knew the hockey teams would be extremely disruptive and still booked us a room among them.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
JKMatkin, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Courtenay Comox Valley SW, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear RAM_695,

Thank you for the suggestions that you made in your email correspondences with me and your review of your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

RAM_695, yes you are correct, we are a preferred hotel for hockey teams. In addition to hockey teams we play host to a wide range of valued guests engaged in a wide range of sporting activities all over Vancouver Island. We are honored to accommodate all types of athletes and groups including hockey, lacrosse, swimming, gymnastics, dance competitions, marathon runners, school groups and professional golfers. Sport plays an integral role in our business, our local economy and our community as a whole.

While we appreciate the business our sporting guests bring in to our hotel and our community that certainly does not give them preference over our other valued guests. In fact, we continue to be the #1 rated accommodation choice in the Comox Valley because we have put a great deal of time and effort into advance planning and the development of strategic organization with regard to our accommodation of sports teams or large groups. These practices have been developed and implimented to ensure that all of our valued guests are able to enjoy the quality of their stay regardless of who is in the hotel, or what events are taking place in the Valley. Our typical efforts include, but certainly are not limited to:

-Obtaining a signed Contract/Team Agreement from the group (in advance of arrival) speaking to behavior and responsible supervision

-Rooming lists are distributed to the arriving group guests which includes a recap of our expectations for behavior taken directly from the original contract.

-We engage the parents, coaches and children as often as possible throughout the stay requesting start times for games/ events so that we can identify in advance potential high volume time frames for the breakfast bar, and we extend our complimentary breakfast hours in hopes that everyone may have an opportunity to enjoy breakfast.

-We offer complimentary use of our Great Room (when available) in an attempt to combat groups gathering in guestrooms. We ask guests to keep their doors closed, and do our best to correct disrespectful behaviour the moment we see it or hear of it.

-We take care to block guests that we know are not with the group away from the group, (sometimes unforssen circumstances such as guests length of stay/ plans changing, or group guests booking outside the block through other booking channels occur and although we work hard to plan for and anticipate these unexpected changes , despite our best efforts, we are the first to admit that this does not always work out exactly as we plan)

-Our night staff performs repetative security walks every 15 minutes to half hour to ensure that guests are being respectful and adhering to the 10pm curfew for minors.

-All complaints are taken very seriously, recorded for management and notes are added to guest profiles for future reference.

- In extreme circumstances, and only once we feel we have exhausted all other avenues guests that confinue to push the envelope are asked to pack up and leave.

I sincerely apologize that despite our best efforts we were unable to meet your expectations during your time with us. I want you to know that our correspondences have been passed along to all departments, as well as the owner of our hotel, and we will continue to work to improve on our strategies and procedures in order to try and prevent similar situations from occurring in the future. While we certainly cannot promise every stay will be perfect, we will continue to take our guest comments very seriously, openly engage our staff in exploring solutions to the challenges we encounter and welcome any opportunity to improve.

While I am disappointed that you have declined both of our attempts to show you the true quality of our service and commitment to guest satisfaction, I hope that you will continue to enjoy family trips to the Comox Valley, and that you are successful in finding suitable accommodations that will afford a more comfortable and enjoyable experience.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Wonderful greeting! We booked a room with jet tub, small kitchenette, king bed and pull out couch for my son, baby, husband and I. The room was just perfect. Everything we needed! It was a very busy spring break so lots of kids in the pool so we skipped it. Speaking with other guests with their red eyed children the chlorine levels were quite high so no loss for me and baby. Wish there were balcony's but no other holiday inn Ive stayed at had one either so no big deal. We make do. I would recommend this hotel for the convenient location, service and breakfast. Nice and easy to find on the hwy. as well.

Room Tip: All the rooms views are about the same.