“The best summer holiday destination!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Courtenay
Bates Beach Oceanfront Resort
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My family and I have been coming to Bates Beach for 7 summers now, ever since my son was 2. The kids (him and his cousins) excitedly look forward to this trip every year. We stay in the condos which have a breathtaking 180 degree view. The units are basic, but clean. I've never had an issue with no AC (previous poster). The units I have used have had ceiling fans when it was really hot. But usually we don't even need those as there is a good breeze from the ocean. Friendly, helpful staff at the campground. At low tide, there is lots of sand right in front of the condos, and over just to the right of the campground there is sand always no matter what the tide. The kids never get tired of beach-combing, swimming, digging in the sand, and kayaking. We have done several excursion from here - Seal Bay hiking, Farmer's Market, fishing - but the days on the beach are the ones we enjoy the most! Have already been back this summer, and look forward to another trip next month!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I went camping last year with my boyfriend and our dog. This was actually our Plan B because we had wanted to stay at Miracle Beach Prov. Park, and it was all booked, so we stayed here for 2 and at Miracle for 1. I ended up liking Bates Beach better than Miracle, because Miracle was quite noisy compared, and while there are trees between campsites, I found it not peaceful at all and I had to walk 15 minutes to the beach itself. So at Bates, we had a great experience. No rowdiness, and everyone was really friendly here, staff and campers. I liked how the campground is small, and it is divided between tents, and trailers, and condos, so that the people in their RVs could have a bit of a party (nothing rowdy though) and campers were in a quieter section. The bathroom was clean and I didn't ever have to wait for shower or toilets, and while you do need a key to access it, I don't see a problem with that, for security reasons. Yes, the campsites are a bit small and tightly knit, but I've been to a lot of campsites before and a lot are like that, and you fall asleep with the sound of the ocean. All the campsites are really close to the ocean, we stayed in Site 36, which is not right on the ocean but literally 15 seconds to. The beach right in front of the camping area is rocky, but if you walk about a minute to the right, it's pure sand! This year we are staying there again and I am soooo excited, because we are in one of the sites that are on the ocean site (Site 32).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ebullience
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed for two nights in an oceanfront site and like this property better than almost anywhere else we have camped. The beach is perfect for kayaking, fishing or beachcombing. I loved being able to slip into my kayak and paddle with the seals less than 10 minutes away in Seal Bay Park. The campsites are close together but you can enjoy the sounds of waves lapping on the beach because it is well managed. We had neighbours who cranked up their music and were getting drunk and disorderly, but the campground manager dealt with it right away and the rest of our stay was uneventful - except for the stunning sunsets and wonderful paddling. The bathrooms are spotless and showers are cheap. Make sure to hike the trails at Seal Bay Nature Park - its a 10 minute walk to the park or a short 3 minute drive to the parking lot.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carol P
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My boyfriend and I just came back from Bates Beach. We went from Aug 23rd to Aug 26th and I have to say it was an AWESOME time! I love Bates Beach and we are for sure going to make this an annual trip. The staff is so friendly, even the other campers are really nice. The view is to die for and it is so clean. We rented a boat and went fishing and it was so much fun! I highly recommend Bates Beach. Awesome, awesome, awesome!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank minaa16
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We just had a lovely time at the Bates Beach Oceanfront Resort. We stayed in a second floor suite overlooking the beach, with ocean breezes, the sound of the waves and gorgeous scenery over the water. The suite was very clean and comfortable, and we had everything we needed. I even requested a fan before we arrived (based on the rather strange review about no AC), but we didn't need it even in the hot weather. The staff were friendly and helpful. We'd definitely go back.

Room Tip: Our room was a bit dated, which was fine with us.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jacquie N
Reviewed 8 July 2013

There are not enough lines of information to tell about our horrific stay! It started from the get go, when we opened the door to our condo/ sublet rental the inside temperature was stifling!! guess what? No A/C and No fan.There was a bad smell from inside the unit that didn't go away. When we had our first meal we had to wash our dishes first they were filthy' greasy right out of the cupboard. The oven dial didn't have any numbers on it so we had to guess what temperature it was at, a hard way to cook Our main reason for our stay was to rent a boat from them and go out on the Georgia Straight to fufill a request of loveones. We were assured that the water calms in the afternoon for about 3 to 4 hours. We were there for 4 days and were told we couldn't go out each day because of the wind. We saw numerous small craft on the water not having any problems, but were told but here were white caps out there (not noticeable by the naked eye). After three days of no room service, we had to ask for clean towels and garbage bags to take out our own garbage. We were paying premium hotels prices and received no common/expected services. We had maintenance workers knocking on our door at 8 AM to do work on our room, not a good thing! Water pressure in the shower was very low and it squealed loudly while the shower on. I don't have many nice things to say about our stay, only that it didn't rain.

Room Tip: hard to find don't go there!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2013

i have been going to bates since i was little, i have tented a bunch of times and gone in a camper a bunch of times and also stayed in thier trailors/mobiles a handful of times, i love it so much there i even considered having my wedding on the beach, which despite others reviews is sandy and quite swimmable just around the curve ofbthe campsites (about a 1min walk and private), i try to return every year and if i had one suggestion it would be to camp on other side of the little bridge, there are trees seperating the sites it is more private and closer to sandy beach "perrys beach" i believe its called, thier kayaking is fun and affordable and you will normally find you have seal friends follow you around, the washrooms are convientanly close and clen and each site has outlets and water so no need for tenters to walk to water stations, it is very dog friendly there and kid friendly, all of my favorite childhood memories are from bates, for my brother as well im sure. if i ever win the lottery i will be buying a house above bates and spending a lot of time around those beaches! it is beautiful, bring a camera, there is always a amazing sunrise and sunset in the summer months, and plenty of wildlife, hope u give it a chance! i find that most of the negative reviews r usually left by people that let everything get to them ur never going to be absolutely seperate and that close to the ocean camping! bates has great accomidations and views so enjoy it - love life!

• Stayed: July 2012