“Fun place with an interesting menu”
Review of Mad Chef Cafe - CLOSED

Mad Chef Cafe
Price range: US$0 - US$13
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Creative food menu fun lively place to eat. I had the soup of the day and it was a wonderful blend of flavours. The garlic cheese toast had chunks of garlic on it, wonderful for me. My two friends were ver happy with their lunches as well. It was a Saturday visit and the place got busier the longer we stayed.

The music is loud but not crazy, the decor is colourful, washroom large and clean. There are a few tables outside and reservations can be made eve for lunch. This was my first visit at the new location, much more space.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I liked the place. The room is basic, with a try at hip that mostly works. Nice light from the storefront windows on 5th Street, the main street in Courtenay, some local art, and tables and booths.
Interesting menu - salads, burgers, pastas, pizzas, appetizers. We had the lamb burger and the tuna burger. Both were excellent. The tuna was dusted with spices and fried crispy, though still rare inside, with a mayo-based sauce and crunch fish roe. (The tuna pieces were a little thin, making it it hard to keep the inside rare enough.) Choice of buns from a local bakery, and the sesame-rye was excellent.
Choice of salad, soup or potatoes. We had the salads, which were good, and the dressings house-made and interesting.
Adequate service - not bad, not outstanding. Our server was unable to describe the duck burger - breast, pieces, confit? - which was unhelpful.
The food was interesting, the price was in the range - the burgers were $15 - and the drink special was a $5 margarita.
I'll go back. The food is interesting in a way that signals a kitchen that cares.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Although mad chef has moved, its a good thing the food is still good, because the "atmosphere"
is a little lacking in their new location. I am unsure of what statement they are trying to make, but it appears that they dont either. Really good food. Very tasty food. The chairs are uncomfortable and the benches leave a little to be desired. But again, good, tasty food. Service was good.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I have visited here a few times-the food has been good . I hate the atmosphere and have decided to not go there anymore.not relaxing..loud,noisy-we used to go to the first location and found it very noisy/and overcrowded-you could here you neighbors conversation clearly-the place echoed.we were excited to go to the new location-and disappointed-same feel, same noise level or more.we have enjoyed the food-but I feel this place has a fast food atmosphere.just not for me anymore.the service has also nose-dived.the sign in the bathroom I find rude ,we are not all slobs.

5  Thank bitsme
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We had a friend visit from Fernie, and we were so excited to show him what great dining is like around the valley, so we thought 'Let's take him to Mad Chef!'. Service was terrible from the get go. Waited 15 minutes for a drink, there was maybe 3 tables of patrons, so it wasn't busy by any means. We waited 30 minutes for the waitress to stop by and take our orders. The food came, and we were under whelmed to say the least, Bland entrees, and a 'loner salad' that came pre processed from a bag, gross. After some-what finishing our meal, it took about another 20 minutes to get the bill.

When my friend got her portion of the bill, she noticed that an addition she added to her meal, was incorrectly priced, so she brought it to the waitress' attention. Well instead of handling the issue at hand professionally, the waitress told my friend she was wrong, and then proceeded to grab a menu to prove my friend wrong. She came back with the menu, took a look at it and said 'oh, you're right'. We then got some excuse that the menu says one price, their tablets which they order on (what happened to a pen and paper??) says another price, and then when they print the bill that price is different as well. My friend suggested that they change the pricing on the menu so they don't run into this issue for the future. Again another excuse was given.

Another price grab they get you at is 1/2 an ounce of salad dressing costs $1.00 and you are not notified of the price until payment time. Again, my friend suggested that they should really notify you of the price before they just assume to ring it in for you, and we got 'well they won't let me have it until i ring it in under your bill'. Yes, she could have asked the price, but anywhere else you go, if you need a little more salad dressing, it should be complimentary.

It's ironic that the sign out front says to lower your expectations. Well they are lowered now, and we won't be returning. Send all your recommendations to the Atlas down the road!

12  Thank WestCoastyMo