1,365 results
All reviewshydro pathsteam roomocean viewromance suiteorca suitehydropath experiencesteam caveget awayoceanfront roommurphy bedhot tubcalamarimid weekrelaxing experiencebeautiful groundsrecommend this resortcouples massage
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We booked a Romance Suite through a BC Ferries Vacation package, and everything about our trip was wonderful. Yes, I agree with other reviewers that the building itself needs some updating, but the service was definitely 5-star and the spa was amazing! I would also highly recommend the restaurant. Again, the decor could use updating, but the food was delicious! We will definitely be going back!!

Room Tip: Definitely choose an oceanside suite! The view is amazing and the amenities wonderful... we had a soaker tub and a double shower in our Romance Suite.
Reviewed 11 February 2013

This is the 3rd time we have stayed at Kingfisher, the last two times in pet rooms. The pet rooms and furnishings are from the 1950's, especially the kitchens. The rest of the room was average at best. The resort itself is tired and looks old. The 2nd to last time we stayed here, we were told the pet rooms were going to be renovated, cleary they did not do that. The only rooms they ever renovate are the beach front ones. This indicates to me that everyone else who chooses not to stay in the beach front rooms are second class citizens. Our dinner was the only bright star on the weekend and that was strictly because of our server, Roxy. Floors are freezing cold, carpet dirty and had cigarette burns in it - not good at all. Will never stay here again. Would rather spend more money to get a way better quality resort/hotel. Don't waste your money.

Room Tip: Unless you want a crappy room, pick beachfront or better yet, pick a different resort.
2  Thank Spyhopper12
Natasha R, Manager at Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Thank you so much for your review and honest feedback Syphopper12. Our Beachfront Suites were the first rooms to be renovated at the Resort and we are now in the process of updating our Ocean View Suites. As well, our Restaurant and Spa are undergoing updates, including new carpeting and linens. We certainly do not feel our guests who stay in our Ocean View Suites are second class citizens and we offer exception guest service to all our visitors. Roxy is one of our amazing staff who truly models the guest service we have a reputation for.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to posting images of our updated rooms on the website. We hope you check back with us soon.

All the best,
Natasha Richardson,
Resort Manager

Reviewed 11 February 2013

I booked the Kingfisher using a Living Social voucher which came with an ocean view room....which is a little deceiving as they are rooms at the back of the property where the ocean is visible while looking over other buildings. Much of the property has amazing ocean views but the property definitely needs some upgrades...the entertainment system was horrible. The remotes wouldn't work and it was frustrating finding channels with no guide...also the sound kept cutting out...
The Breakwater restaurant is lovely with good menu and good food....the servers were professional, friendly and efficient...
However, the biggest disappointment was the Spa. My husband and I booked a couple's massage...hoping for a relaxing and maybe even romantic experience...but that's not what we experienced. The spa had no ambience whatsoever. The rooms were plain and uninviting. There were 2 massage tables situated in a small, bright....almost like a hospital, room...no candles or warm lighting and background music that was barely audible. For almost $250.00 it was a real disappointment, and definitely not romantic....we had been to Tigh-na-mara the previous year and had the most romantic, unbelievable couples massage in a large, candlelit room, with beautiful 2 person soaker tub, rose petals and champagne for about the same price.....
The other disappoibtment were the changing rooms...they were very out dated with almost no amenities and only a small area to fix your hair with one hair dryer and one straightener....
We will not be returning to Kingfisher for any spa experience....Apparently there is a special Spa Hydropath that we were unable to experience and that has had good reviews....
The sunday brunch looked amazing but was $30 dollars each and you couldn't order a la carte....the only option was having a regular breakfast between 8 and 9....we opted for room service and the food was delivered promptly and was fresh and yummy.

Room Tip: If you book an 'oceanview room' you will not be looking directly at the ocean. You will be at the back of the property viewing the ocean over some buildings. To have real ocean view you will need to book a suite which is much more expensive.
2  Thank kelnel60

Thank you for your review Kelnel60! We are happy to hear that you had the opportunity to take advantage of our Living Social promotion. The Pacific Mist Spa is currently undergoing a refresh which includes new paint, furniture, cushions and updated ambiance. I apologize that during your visit we had not yet updated our massage rooms, and we appreciate your feedback. We take pride in the outstanding service offered by our staff and are confident you enjoyed your massage.
We offer two Spa change rooms for women and one for men. Our goal is for our guests to enjoy their time in one of our four relaxation lounges. We choose to keep our amenities at the front desk for your convenience.

I am sorry you were unable to experience our signature service, the Pacific Mist Hydropath. It is a unique experience and very popular.

We look forward to posting images of our updated service rooms on our website when they are complete and hope you will choose to join us again, perhaps on a future Living Social special or one of our other amazing package rates.

Thank you again for your feedback.
- Andrea Fisher
Spa Director

Reviewed 5 February 2013

I booked this because of the Living Social promotion. $149 for 2 nights in an Oceanview Room, $50 spa credit, and $10 restaurant credit.

This hotel was hard to get weekend dates in this entry level category because of this promotion. Therefore you’re offered a $75 per night room upgrade. I noticed rooms in the Oceanview category were still available, yet was sold out when I went to book. I managed to secure the oceanview category after speaking with the Manager.

Oceanview rooms all have a nice view of the ocean and are set back on the property, yet not far from the water. They are in a motel style building, are small, however some things have been upgraded , although still had old school key system and tvs . I appreciated the duvet covers on the bed, there was a fridge, hot plate, and microwave. There were some nice signature Kingfisher touches to the room, like starfish drawer knobs, 2 robes. I’m sure these rooms will be updated soon, and will be wonderful!

While checking-in, we were given an itinerary of our spa bookings. Appreciated that our room was available earlier that check in time as my friend had an early spa appointment. However upon reviewing the spa appointments we noticed that our Hydropath appointment was 5 hours after we would have checked out on the Sunday (not the Saturday that we had booked). Disappointed as I booked these 2 months earlier. The spa said they were all sold out for Saturday, which we were to have this before my massage. However she squeezed us in after my massage and that also worked for us. I’m lucky to have kept such great notes of who booked us, and which day I did this.

The Spa reception area sold quite a bit of items. The waiting area was less than impressive. I wasn’t offered a locker to leave my bag, the waiting area for massage was in a plain area, with a couple chairs, tea and lemon water. I have been to many high end spa’s before where you are offered wine, fruit (dried and fresh), nuts, juices, etc etc. After massage I waited in another waiting room, again nothing too exciting. I had to ask a reception for a locker. I was directed into the change room where it was filled with people (at least 6), I changed into my bathing suit in the bathroom where I had nowhere to hang up my bag. Was looking for some make up remover, and there was only body lotion, (as well as one hair dryer and straightner, where were under lock down). I come out and my friend was waiting for me in the waiting room, she had her runners just tucked under a chair. She was offered flip-flops (I wasn’t) ... but not a locker. I told her to put her shoes in my locker. She was surprised I was in the pool change room, as the day before she was in a neighbouring change room, which was much more calming and less chaotic. I then asked at the spa reception if my stuff was in the right change room. The answer was yes. OK then? Strange. Nothing like the change room at Tigh-Na-Mara’s Grotto Spa or Spa Utopia.

Now the best part of our whole vacay! The Hydropath. I really didn’t know what to expect, however everyone on TripAvisor raved about it. It. Was. Amazing. About seven different water stations, the hostess was wonderful. You enter this with your party only, max 3 or 4. It’s very private, dark, and wonderful with your partner/friends. It lasts an hour. I will definitely be back for this, worth every penny.

The pool was very warm for being half outside, the other half under cover. The hot tub was spacious. Did not like you were not even allowed to bring your own water, in a plastic bottle? Really? The steam cave was also really nice.

The resort is about 5 minutes from Courtenay..... Walmart, restaurants, and a movie theatre, all very close. There is a Starbucks on the main drag, at the Safeway and beside the Safeway. The best Mexican restaurant is called Tita’s Mexican Restaurant and is open from 4pm onwards. We didn’t dine in the resorts restaurant, although it appeared busy and would have wonderful views. The beach is rocky so bring your rain boots. There is also a hiking trail near by that takes about an hour. Bikes can be rented and umbrella’s were available if needed.

I found everywhere to be very clean, and overall was a nice experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank marspice
Reviewed 5 February 2013 via mobile

Just boarding the ferry back to Vancouver and wanted to take the time to write a review. I purchased 2 nights for $179 which included a $100.00 spa certificate, (sun-thurs only) on travel zoo, what an incredible deal. I can't wait to go back. The location, spa, pool, steam and fitness centre was amazing ( treadmills and bikes looks over the ocean) I can see maybe in peak season the fitness room could probably get really busy, I believe they sell memberships to the local residents too. I have heard sometimes when you purchase a voucher the staff doesn't treat you the same, well I can tell you that from the check-in to the spa, to the restaurant every staff member was friendly, helpful and make you feel welcome, beautiful ocean view from my room with a patio and chairs.The meal was excellent ( I had the Artic char) the restaurant has great ocean front views as well.
P.S. to all people who purchase vouchers and discount deals please remember to still tip ALL the staff accordingly, they are still working hard to make your stay an enjoying one.

• Stayed: February 2013