“Cute and quaint!”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Courtenay
Calgary, Canada
“Cute and quaint!”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed at Kingfisher for one night before driving up to Ucluelet for the weekend. The resort is in a beautiful spot and we had a lovely view of a pink and purple sunset over the water from our room.
The resort is a little older but well kept, it was clean, and the beds were comfortable. It would have been nice to have a screen on the door as it was an unseasonably warm September evening when we were there and wanted to sleep with the balcony door open, but there were too many bugs.
The front desk staff was very friendly both at check in and check out. I wish we'd had more time to check out the spa and the restaurant, but we spent a little time in the morning walking around the resort and spent a few minutes on the swing by the water. It's a cute place to get away and if we returned to Comox I would likely stay there again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carly17

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Parksville, Canada
Reviewed 12 September 2013

My friend and I recently did a girls getaway together a the Kingfisher Lodge on Vancouver Island. We had a fabulous time and would highly recommend it for both friends or couples. We had a lovely room with a fabulous view and outdoor balcony. The room is not large but certainly adequate and had small fridge and coffee maker with delicious coffee provided. We did the water spa treatment and it was wonderful. You feel so relaxed when done. While we were waiting we spoke to a woman who comes frequently just to use the spa. We ate 2 dinners and 2 breakfasts there and all were amazing. We had both been on high end cruises recently and felt the food served here was just as good. The view is lovely and there is a large patio for sitting outside. The prices were comparable to other higher end resorts and quality and quantity were certainly there. All staff from dining room to reception were very friendly and helpful. Will definitely recommend to friends and to back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I stayed here with my wife and 2 young children in July (sorry for the late review!).

We were staying in Courtenay for a family reasons so most of our time was spent with family and not at the hotel. That said a few things were impressive about our stay, and I think it's worth while paying complements.

The front desk staff were absolutely charming, positive and accommodating. It gave us a feeling that they really enjoyed being there, which made us feel like we were staying at a place that cared about what they did.

The room is better on the inside than what you might think from the outside. If we were to stay again and have time to enjoy the services of the property, we'd definitely book a room on the ocean side with views.

The ocean side isn't a sandy beach, but it is very private. The short time I had to spend with my boys at the beach there made me want to come back just for that. Fun crab hunting and rock skipping if you have kids!

If you're looking for resort type activities for kids there is a pool, but there are kids hours. There were lots of kids staying while we were there, but we didn't get the feeling that its a kids oriented experience. It would be really nice to go back as a couple and make use of the spa and enjoy the ocean ambience without other things to attend to.

The property landscaping was immaculate. In July everything was in bloom, and the grounds were basically manicured. My wife and I both wished we could have enjoyed a romantic dinner at the restaurant (sorry kids!).

We only had breakfast in our room at the hotel, and it was tasty. Service was quick.

The housekeeping and maintenance in the rooms was also to a high standard.

The only recommendation I'd make for the floor rooms in the upper part of the property is to consider replacing glass sliding doors with french doors. I think this would just give the vibe of the room a good lift.

In short, I think this would be a great place to go as a couple or with a friend, unplug from the usual pace of work/life, and relax. When you wake up in the morning its not to traffic, other hotels, or a myriad of shops. It's really just a beautifully kept property on the ocean... pretty decent!

Great job to your team! Thanks for the comfortable stay.

Room Tip: I'd go with the ocean side for views and ambience.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank mcorlett
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I have done the hydropath quite a few times, some with my husband which was more intimate and some with friends which was more fun and playful, either way you do it the Hydropath is an amazing hour journey of relaxation and smiles. I recently went with a wedding party for a hydropath and nail mani/pedi's and I was so disappointed with the end results for myself and the other girls. We all ended up re-doing our nails that night when we got back to our hotel room because they were shaped poorly and painted even worse, with chipping and streaks (I had the warm towel over my face and didn't realize she even put on the wrong color!). I will next time go into town to one of the many great options Courtenay has for 1/2 the price. I hate leaving negative reviews but I truly wouldn't want women (or men) spending money on this service for the quality you would receive.

Room Tip: I gave the spa a low marker only because of the mani/pedi, always go for the hyropath - always a gre...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 7 September 2013

My fiancé and I spent the weekend at the Kingfisher and LOVED every minute of it. Andrea at the spa was really knowledgable and we both enjoyed our treatments as they were so relaxing. The food was delicious, and we had one of the most beautiful views from our room we have ever seen! Not to mention Lauren at the front desk was so helpful and really made us feel at home.

We will definitely be back soon and would highly recommend this spot for a great weekend getaway on the Island!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kelly W
Hawaii
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The Kingfisher has been one of our eagerly anticipated places to go to for over a year now so when an offer arose promoting a spa day, we chose to take advantage of it to celebrate our wedding anniversary and stay over-night in one of their romantic suites. At the same time, we also bought a two-night deal for the future anticipating that we will love our stay and want to go back. How wrong we were.

First point... they really need to improve their telephone/reservation service. I tried to book by email but was told to call to make our reservation. We tried repeatedly and could not get through so we followed instructions to leave a voicemail and someone would call us back. By the next evening, we received no such phone call and decided just to carry on with email which led to confusion as they couldn't understand that we were booking via a voucher. We tried the phone again and finally got through to Monica (?) who was great but all in all, it took too long for something so easy to do with other hotels.

Anyhoo, a few more emails later and finally the day comes and we arrive at the hotel. By now I had assumed it better to lower all expectations and I was right to. We had asked earlier that day on the phone if we could have early check-in as our afternoon at the spa started at 1.15pm but understandably, they said there was no guarantee. On arrival at 1pm we were told our room was not going to be ready until after 3 and to just leave our luggage with them. Although check-out for the previous occupants would have been at 11am. I guess it takes 4 hours to clean a room. Usually, I don't mind and this is something I don't make a point of as a clean room is nice but skipping ahead, when we later got to our room in the early evening it a disappointment to say the least. There was a damp smell which I expect is usual when you have old carpets (with huge stains) in rooms facing the ocean , but boy was there a pervasive smell of urine too. My gag reflex went off and I asked my husband to see if we could get another room. The smell was strong and it just looked and felt grimy, unkept and unclean.

By this time, it was getting close to 7pm (when we had a dinner reservation) and we simply just wanted to relax and enjoy a glass of bubbly before heading out to it. But I sat waiting in the Romantic Suite with our bags for 25 minutes until a lady came to show me an Orca room as an alternative. I checked the rate for that night and it was the same rate as the romantic suite so no favours done there, but I hoped it would be better smelling. It was fine. There was still a damp smell, but nothing like the room above. So, back to having our celebratory glass of bubbly. We pulled out a glass from the kitchen and it was dirty and covered in bright pink lipstick. Back on the phone and we show the young lady from the restaurant the glass. She didn't raise an eyelid, simply said 'ok' and handed over some clean glasses and stalked off. Nice.

We kept our expectations low and headed to the restaurant. We didn't have a table by the window as requested weeks ago and of course there was 'no guarantee' - but were happy to wait for an empty one to be cleaned up since we had been playing the waiting game for most of our experience of this hotel. The food was really good though when it eventually arrived - we waited forty minutes for the bread - and the ambience was fine. We had the Zen oysters (so good) and the halibut which was perfect.

So, overall a really, really disappointing stay for our anniversary but we were happy with the Hydropath which gives it the extra star to bring it to two. It was incredibly relaxing, well laid out and the lady who walked us through it was lovely. I really recommend it for those who are coming for the day but over all the actual spa is very tired looking.

With the other voucher I have for this hotel, well I am too late for a refund and would feel guilty to pass it on as a gift so we will have to just suck that one up as a bad purchase.

Room Tip: I hate to say this, but look elsewhere if expecting a luxury hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank VictorianPoppet
Twillingate, Canada
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Looking for a place to get away from the hustle and bustle of our everyday lives. Kingfisher Resort and Spa can make all those annoying traffic jams and endless to do lists seems miles away. Beautiful grounds, pools and spa. Divine meals in the dining room. Quiet rooms to relax and chill out in. Glorious views.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Courtenay
Old House Hotel & Spa
Black Rock Oceanfront Resort
Painter's Lodge
Painter's Lodge
#2 of 16 in Campbell River

Been to Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!