“Wonderful Vancouver Island getaway destination!”

Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Courtenay
Victoria, Canada
“Wonderful Vancouver Island getaway destination!”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My hubby and I once again snagged a deal via a Travelzoo deal that we used to get away for my birthday weekend for Fri Jan 3 and Sat Jan 4th, this time for the Kingfisher Resort just south of Courtenay on Vancouver Island. The deal was for two nights in an oceanview basic room for $255 that included $100 worth of credits ($70 for spa; $30 for restaurant). The basic room was nice enough, very clean and nicely appointed but had no significant extras such as a fireplace or kitchenette and the bathroom was basic as well. So we asked if an upgrade was possible and it was; for an additional $75 per night we upgraded to an Orca Suite which was oceanfront with walk out access to the beach. The upgrade transition went very smoothly. The suite included a kitchenette, gas fireplace, a larger bathroom with a jetted tub and the bedroom had a kingbed in a separate room. The room was really nice and clean however we did notice a couple of small maintenance issues: the freezer door inside the fridge was broken off so it was frosting up and made it difficult to close the fridge door properly and the toilet did not seem to be bolted tightly to the floor so it rocked and made noise each time someone sat down. There were also a couple of stains on the carpet in the front room. These points aside, the suite was very nice. The view of the ocean across to the mainland and Coast Mountain range was spectacular and we took lots of photos of the magnificant sunrise both mornings during our stay.

We booked hyrdropath treatments with our spa credit and found the entire experience very unique and relaxing and very professionally managed. We also enjoyed using the outdoor heated pool, hot tub and steam cave adjacant to the spa. I noticed they had some reasonable time restrictions on when kids could use these guest facilitites which I thought was novel as we've not used pools and hot tubs at other hotels in the past because it was too loud and hectic. The grounds are really nicely landscaped with lots of terrific driftwood art objects placed here and there.

We also had a dinner reservation for Saturday night in the resort restaurant that was really great that I made at the time of making our accommodation reservation. We had great service and found the food and beverages really tasty, although perhaps a tad on the expensive side. It all depends of your definition of good value I guess. We didn't take any other meals in the restaurant so this was a very nice treat.

Check out was quick, easy and accurate so all in all I have no problem recommending this place to others and if the opportunity presents itself, we'll return for another getaway.

Room Tip: We were in the bottom level of the two story oceanfront building (#305) and noticed noise from the s...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Kyla T, Manager at Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear naturelovers2, thank you so much for taking the time to review our amazing property! We are thrilled you took advantage of the Travel Zoo deal and stayed with us. We are glad you were able to upgrade and stay in our beachfront suites, we agree, the sunrises are stunning! The few issues you noted have been addressed by our maintenance and housekeeping teams. We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort.

The Kingfisher Leadership Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Not certain if it is our third or fourth time to Kingfisher over the years, but I am sure this is my last one.
In the past we got their spa package and we always were happy and thought it was a good deal, that is the value for the money was worth the trip from Vancouver to the island. This time around, I called to make reservations for couple nights over New Years. The advertised price for the package was 385$ per person, when I called however, they told me that the price is 458$ pp apparently because only deluxe room was left and they charge more for this. We thought that if we are getting better room for the money, that's fine. When we got to the hotel though, amazingly we were placed in exactly the same room (and I literally mean, EXACT the same room, ie same number) we stayed last time in. They charged us 258$ per night for a small "I-need-an-update" room, that is after you take 200$ credits for the spa and restaurant off the price of the package.

Speaking of the restaurant. When I called, I tried to make reservation for the NY dinner buffet. The only available time was early sitting just before 5pm. Ok, we were late to book it, so fine, it's our fault. No worries. I specifically asked several times if we can have a drink at midnight. Yes, I was told, no problems, just swing by later, music will be done early, but you can have a drink and hang out. Well, guess what? That didn't happen. When we got there, the restaurant was empty with exception of a young dad with a toddler who proceeded screaming at the top of his lung every thirty seconds. Take a guess where the hostess seats us? That's right, right next to them. We asked to be moved, she initially stated that this is not possible as everything is booked. Seriously? Finally somebody come up with a "solution" and we were moved. Nice spot, no problems, at this time we are trying really hard just to chill and enjoy it. The buffet dinner was 85$/pp. Which is expensive dinner by anyone's standards. This one included a glass of sparkling wine - One, no wine, all liquor extra. I guess I get that you can't open bar that kind of events, but seriously, at this price you would think couple glasses of wine should be included. But what really pissed me off actually was that they charged me for a latte. Common. You just served buffet dinner, that is grossly overpriced, but you are going to charge me extra for freaking latte? That is just greedy.

Spa haven't been upgraded since I've been there for the first time, I think 8 years ago. But their pedicures still the best. Let me tell you though. Our final price (including return ferry) for 2 days get away, during which we were treated like nothing but revenue potential, was over 600$. That is a heck of a lot to pay for a good pedicure.
So, too bad, it was a nice spot to get away in the past, but not anymore. We will find another.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Ekaterina T
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My wife and I attended the restaurant some time ago and their were some disappointing things encountered, mainly at that time the rib eye steak .... we attended again just before Christmas, the staff was very friendly as they usually are ! this time they had a tenderloin for the steak and it was GREAT ! one of the best steaks I have had for some time ! all of the veggies etc that accompanied the steak were also great but they usually are. My wife had the Cesar salad which she enjoyed as well.
I did not give this a 5 but I seldom give anything a 5 .... to me the restaurant could be a bit more classy, maybe lower the lights about to make a more relaxing romantic setting but ... would I recommend eating here ... YES, will we go again .... YES ...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you PandGP for your review. We are ecstatic that you had an amazing dinner in The Breakwater Restaurant! Thank you for your suggestions as well, they have been passed on to our restaurant manager and executive Chef. We look forward to welcoming you both back again and again.

The Kingfisher Leadership Team
Vancouver Island BC Canada eh.
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My husband and I were engaged at the restaurant overlooking the ocean at the Kingfisher resort. I was aware of the spa as I had visited previous for a pedicure and while it was enjoyable I found it to be overpriced.
For christmas I was given a gift certificate to the Pacific Mist Hydropath. During the month of December they had a deal where, if you visited the spa during weekdays, the hydropath was buy one get one free. My husband and I decided to take advantage.
We were only able to get an appointment early in the morning so we arrived at 8:30 AM so we could use the hottub and pool beforehand.
The spa experience itself was quite nice. Basically you start out in the lounge and then you're shifted from station to station by a spa tech. You start out in a hottub that has a number of different jet settings to massage different parts of your back. You continue through the stations (glacier waterfall, a number of different kinds of waterfalls, a salt bath soak, a steam room, etc and eventually end up in your own little tub with this really nice sea salt scrub. Throughout the spa tech ensures you have a nice cool cloth to put on your face and she tops up your water glasses. The total time I would suggest devoting to the whole thing is 2 hours. Its very relaxing, if you can plan to do nothing afterwards I suggest you do!

Tips:
-Go pee immediately before heading into the lounge area.
-Dont go in if you are hungover, pregnant or have high blood pressure or claustrophobia. The hydropath area is closed in and the varying temperatures may trigger the above noted ailments!
- Drink the water provided- it keeps you hydrated!
- Get the eucalyptus in the steam cave- very nice.
- ensure that if you are taking advantage of any of the deals offered at the spa you mention it to them at the time of booking AND when you go to check out/pay otherwise they not acknowledge the "deal" and will try and charge you accordingly. They did this to me but I mentioned to the lady that we were told it was a two for one deal and she adjusted it accordingly.
- Remember to leave a tip when the service is good!

Room Tip: We did not spend the night here, we just used the spa services during this visit but we have dined a...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review Canshy! We are thrilled that you took advantage of our Pacific Mist Hydropath special and enjoyed the healing benefits that service offers, we love that you have memories here with your husband. Our amazing property is a couples destination as we have breathtaking views and unparalleled guest service. We all look forward to welcoming you both back again and again!

Qualicum Beach, Canada
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My wife and I enjoyed excellent Spa treatments, an amazing and superb seafood buffet, cheerful, friendly and professional service and a very comfortable room on the water's edge. (Also some great entertainment from Phil Dwyer.) Beats its Parksville competition hands down.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Happy New Year to you StevePF! Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us over New Year's. Fantastic news that you enjoyed your stay with us and experienced our unparalleled guest service! The Seafood buffet was a big hit as well. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon!

All the best,

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 31 December 2013

For $160 a night, and "Resort & Spa" in the title, I expected a lot more than a grubby, motel style dump, with NO amenities.
Silverfish in the tub when we got there, and per the attached picture, a rusted out piece of junk in the tub, with some foreign method of turning the shower on that requires you to fiddle with the nozzle - really; as if, after the bug and the rust, I'm going to jiggle the disgusting nozzle to take a shower? I think not.
The Spa Cave is filthy, that's why they keep it dark in there, you can SEE the slime build up in the hot tubs. The spa needs to be thoroughly cleaned, just as a start. They ran out of hot water and the whole place looks like it's going to fall down in a stiff wind.
The people who work there are nice and friendly, and that is the ONLY thing this place has going for it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Anika T
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Beautiful room, excellent service. It's a short drive from Courtney and just a bit off the main road which gives it a feeling of being secluded. Lovely grounds - well cared for flowers.

We had a kitchenette room which was well appointed. The bathroom with double head showers and heated floors was heavenly.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you BettiR2013 for your review, we are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us! Looking forward to welcoming you both back in the near future.

The Kingfisher Leadership Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Courtenay
Old House Hotel & Spa
Black Rock Oceanfront Resort
Painter's Lodge
Painter's Lodge
#2 of 16 in Campbell River

Been to Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!