“nice resort”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Courtenay
Vancouver, Canada
“nice resort”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Here for a couple of nights in a basic room. Nice view, room clean. Has old tube tv(who has those anymore!) Had room refresh on 2nd day but no refresh on toiletries used. Never seen that in a resort before.Coffee maker with Starbucks coffee and fresh was nice.
Loved the dinner and breakfast at Breakwater. Room service was good.
Loved spa and outdoor pool/hot tub. (Had to look past the fact they need cleaning though)
All and all, nice place. Please clean the pool, replace TV's and don't cheap out on toiletries.

Room Tip: All nice. If you don't expect to be in your room much, the Oceanview room is just fine.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kim S
Kyla T, Manager at Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Thank you for your review kimdebbie28 we are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us. We agree the food in our Restaurant is amazing. I have shared your concerns about our pool and lack of refresh toiletries on your second day with our team. We could have done better and will so in the future. We thank you again for your review as this is a great service to keep us on track and to see where we need to improve. We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort.

Kind Regards,

The Kingfisher Leadership Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Qualicum Beach, Canada
Reviewed 12 January 2014

My husband & I chose the Kingfisher for a quiet and romantic New Years Eve escape. We booked a romance room for two nights and hydropath for New Years Eve. We had a less than relaxing experience. Check in went smoothly and the room was older but reasonably clean except for substantial cobwebs in ceiling corners, the decor and bed was comfortable.
Later that evening our Hydropath experience was tarnished by loud intoxicated couple ahead of us. Not what we would expecting in a spa environment. Later that night after our relaxing take out sushi dinner we were shocked out of our peace and relaxation by booming fireworks being set off by a family directly below our suite. These loud and not very visually stimulating fireworks continued from 9:30 until almost 11. When I phoned the front desk to ask why we were not notified of this at check in I was told by the attendant that the fire works were being set off by the owner & his family and it was his new years tradition. This later turned out to be a complete lie! The fire works were set off by a resort guest entertaining his kids. Around 1:30 am we had to endure a couple having a loud argument directly below our suite & cigarette smoke drifted into our open patio door from the non-smoking patios beside us. On New Years day we spoke to the resort manager about our disturbing experience and she did her best to smooth things over by presenting us with a bottle of inexpensive wine. We doubt we will return to the Kingfisher and though the disturbances to our peaceful escape were mostly beyond the control of the resort staff nothing was done to enforce the rules of spa etiquette, no smoking or quiet after 10 pm. We left feeling like we should have stayed home after paying our bill of over $700 for two nights, hydropath and buffet breakfast.

Room Tip: Don't book for New Years Eve if you want peace!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank islandgirl852
Vancouver, British Columbia
Reviewed 10 January 2014

My sister & I wanted to go away for a short trip after Christmas but did not want to fly somewhere, sit in the sun on a beach or eat/drink at an all inclusive. We thought to see part of our country where we had never been & do something healthy for ourselves. All of those criteria & recommendations from friends & Trip Advisor led us to the Kingfisher Oceanside Resort & Spa. We made the reservation over the phone & asked the very friendly agent for something that was their best value for our dates. She suggested the Rainy Day Package which included 2 nights in Oceanside suite (3rd night complimentary) Hydrotherapy path, $100 for spa treatments, $75 for restaurant, additional $50 for either spa or food and a yoga class for $427. We took the whole package and then additional spa treatments including pedicure, Marine Mud Massage, Healing Waters Body Rejuvenation & yoga classes daily. We also used the Fitness facilities, hot tub, outdoor heated pool, steam & dry saunas. Wow, love this place! The staff are amazing, every person was professional & friendly and helpful! The RMT who did the Marine Mud massage was one of the best I have encountered (and we love to do spas so done all over the world). The Pacific Mist Hydropath was amazing & nicely guided by a lovely girl who replenished our lemon water & cool clothes at each of the 8 stations. Yoga classes were wonderful & relaxing. The food & staff in the restaurant were really excellent and the setting is beautiful on the ocean. Our suite was spotless with a cozy fireplace as we watched the stormy ocean outside. We were really surprised to find this treasure so close to Vancouver & were glad to spend our vacation dollars here. The surrounding towns of Courtenay & Comox have excellent restaurants & lots to do. I will be back again and again! Thank you Kingfisher staff for a wonderful experience!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Kyla T, Manager at Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear Olym2010!
Thank you so much for your review! We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit with us. Our team strives for unparalleled customer service with each and every guest at the Resort which you experienced during your stay with us. We all love our jobs and we look forward to receiving guest feedback that we can share with our teams. The Rainy Day Package is one of our most popular packages as you get to experience every aspect of our amazing resort. Thank you again for your review, it has been shared with all of our departments and we look forward to welcoming you back again and again!

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 8 January 2014

The much talked about grotto pall's against New Zealand's many natural hot water pools and waterfalls. What made this November visit enjoyable was an empty beach for walking, quiet surroundings and the best chef on the island. The food (both meals) was as good a La Crocodile in Vancouver. It was a 10 star meal at a 6 star price. Excellent.

Friendly and accommodating staff.
Comfortable bed - we were upgraded easily to beach front. Nice!

Room Tip: beacg front is the only way to go.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Cooky1193, thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We agree that we have the best Chef on Vancouver Island! The dining experience is something to rave about. I will let our team know how much you enjoyed everything, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Comox, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My daughter and I went for the Hydropath and lunch spa day and enjoyed the whole experience. It is understated comfort, with interesting water treatments, well paced and hosted by Ashleigh. The luncheon in the Breakwater Restaurant was a lovely finish to the treatment. My daughter had a gluten-free panko-crusted ling cod and I had a sockeye steamer basket with a glass of BC wine. A seat by the window provided us with an opportunity to watch a small pod of harbour porpoises surface as they travelled past in Bayne's Sound. A perfect end to 2013!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Darrell T, thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to our Spa! We are happy that you enjoyed our signature spa treatment, The Pacific Mist Hydropath and had lunch in The Breakwater Restaurant. We do have stunning views from the restaurant and amazing customer service throughout the resort. Thank you again for your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back again!

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My hubby and I once again snagged a deal via a Travelzoo deal that we used to get away for my birthday weekend for Fri Jan 3 and Sat Jan 4th, this time for the Kingfisher Resort just south of Courtenay on Vancouver Island. The deal was for two nights in an oceanview basic room for $255 that included $100 worth of credits ($70 for spa; $30 for restaurant). The basic room was nice enough, very clean and nicely appointed but had no significant extras such as a fireplace or kitchenette and the bathroom was basic as well. So we asked if an upgrade was possible and it was; for an additional $75 per night we upgraded to an Orca Suite which was oceanfront with walk out access to the beach. The upgrade transition went very smoothly. The suite included a kitchenette, gas fireplace, a larger bathroom with a jetted tub and the bedroom had a kingbed in a separate room. The room was really nice and clean however we did notice a couple of small maintenance issues: the freezer door inside the fridge was broken off so it was frosting up and made it difficult to close the fridge door properly and the toilet did not seem to be bolted tightly to the floor so it rocked and made noise each time someone sat down. There were also a couple of stains on the carpet in the front room. These points aside, the suite was very nice. The view of the ocean across to the mainland and Coast Mountain range was spectacular and we took lots of photos of the magnificant sunrise both mornings during our stay.

We booked hyrdropath treatments with our spa credit and found the entire experience very unique and relaxing and very professionally managed. We also enjoyed using the outdoor heated pool, hot tub and steam cave adjacant to the spa. I noticed they had some reasonable time restrictions on when kids could use these guest facilitites which I thought was novel as we've not used pools and hot tubs at other hotels in the past because it was too loud and hectic. The grounds are really nicely landscaped with lots of terrific driftwood art objects placed here and there.

We also had a dinner reservation for Saturday night in the resort restaurant that was really great that I made at the time of making our accommodation reservation. We had great service and found the food and beverages really tasty, although perhaps a tad on the expensive side. It all depends of your definition of good value I guess. We didn't take any other meals in the restaurant so this was a very nice treat.

Check out was quick, easy and accurate so all in all I have no problem recommending this place to others and if the opportunity presents itself, we'll return for another getaway.

Room Tip: We were in the bottom level of the two story oceanfront building (#305) and noticed noise from the s...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear naturelovers2, thank you so much for taking the time to review our amazing property! We are thrilled you took advantage of the Travel Zoo deal and stayed with us. We are glad you were able to upgrade and stay in our beachfront suites, we agree, the sunrises are stunning! The few issues you noted have been addressed by our maintenance and housekeeping teams. We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Not certain if it is our third or fourth time to Kingfisher over the years, but I am sure this is my last one.
In the past we got their spa package and we always were happy and thought it was a good deal, that is the value for the money was worth the trip from Vancouver to the island. This time around, I called to make reservations for couple nights over New Years. The advertised price for the package was 385$ per person, when I called however, they told me that the price is 458$ pp apparently because only deluxe room was left and they charge more for this. We thought that if we are getting better room for the money, that's fine. When we got to the hotel though, amazingly we were placed in exactly the same room (and I literally mean, EXACT the same room, ie same number) we stayed last time in. They charged us 258$ per night for a small "I-need-an-update" room, that is after you take 200$ credits for the spa and restaurant off the price of the package.

Speaking of the restaurant. When I called, I tried to make reservation for the NY dinner buffet. The only available time was early sitting just before 5pm. Ok, we were late to book it, so fine, it's our fault. No worries. I specifically asked several times if we can have a drink at midnight. Yes, I was told, no problems, just swing by later, music will be done early, but you can have a drink and hang out. Well, guess what? That didn't happen. When we got there, the restaurant was empty with exception of a young dad with a toddler who proceeded screaming at the top of his lung every thirty seconds. Take a guess where the hostess seats us? That's right, right next to them. We asked to be moved, she initially stated that this is not possible as everything is booked. Seriously? Finally somebody come up with a "solution" and we were moved. Nice spot, no problems, at this time we are trying really hard just to chill and enjoy it. The buffet dinner was 85$/pp. Which is expensive dinner by anyone's standards. This one included a glass of sparkling wine - One, no wine, all liquor extra. I guess I get that you can't open bar that kind of events, but seriously, at this price you would think couple glasses of wine should be included. But what really pissed me off actually was that they charged me for a latte. Common. You just served buffet dinner, that is grossly overpriced, but you are going to charge me extra for freaking latte? That is just greedy.

Spa haven't been upgraded since I've been there for the first time, I think 8 years ago. But their pedicures still the best. Let me tell you though. Our final price (including return ferry) for 2 days get away, during which we were treated like nothing but revenue potential, was over 600$. That is a heck of a lot to pay for a good pedicure.
So, too bad, it was a nice spot to get away in the past, but not anymore. We will find another.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Ekaterina T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Courtenay
Old House Hotel & Spa
Black Rock Oceanfront Resort
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
#1 of 4 in Central Saanich

Been to Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!