“Family Staycation”

Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Courtenay
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Overall I have to say that we were very happy with our little family vacation:) The service was great, the food was great and the room was great. The only downside is that it is not a child friendly resort at all as children are only allowed in the pool twice a day and the beach is not sandy and very rocky. We also found that the children's menu was just as good as the adult menu and a lot bigger portions and less money. The spa is the main attraction and we really enjoyed a pedicure and The Hydropath!!

Room Tip: It is best to upgrade to the oceanfront suites as they are roomier, more modern and right on the bea...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Kyla T, Manager at Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2014

Dear sanisidro2014,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of our amazing resort! We are glad that were happy with your "Family Staycation" and that the room was great and you all enjoyed our wonderful restaurant. Our signature service The Pacific Mist Hydropath in the Spa is an attraction in itself, truly a unique service that has many healing benefits for our guests. We would like to thank you again for sharing your review and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 22 July 2014

For about 5 years now I make an annual trip to the Kingfisher in the spring with my mom and sister for at least a one-night package stay.
I have also enjoyed their 2-3 night packages both with friends and relatives.
We find the Kingfisher hotel and spa to be relaxing, calm, pretty, comfortable and peaceful.

Though the hotel itself is a tad on the older side, the rooms are spacious, clean and comfy. We typically have an "ocean-view" room at the upper building, which sounds fancy but they are the most basic of the rooms they offer. They have many different suites and rooms closer to the ocean shore in a lower building, but these basic rooms do offer an ocean view as promised with views of their garden walkways to the restaurant and spa.

We appreciated that our rooms always provided a small fridge, coffee maker and microwave, as well as a DVD player and pull-out TV.
The bed and bathroom linens are always clean, soft and feel expensive. The toiletries provided in the bathrooms are always top notch and great products.
Our only tiny issue has been that their beds tend towards being on the hard side.

The complimentary pool and hot tub facilities are also excellent. Though the pool is outdoors, it is half covered and warm enough to swim in the spring. The hot tub is relaxing and I've heard good things about the steam cave, though I have yet to try it out.
The restaurant and spa are both excellent, with many options and a variety of reasonable cost choices as well as luxury items and services. (I will detail both in separate reviews.)
The staff is always kind and easy to speak with.

They hotel is gracious when any mistakes are made, such as one trip the spa Hydropath service (highly recommend it!) was unavailable due to an unexpected problem, which unfortunately was the only spa service we had booked for our one-night stay. The hotel offered us any other spa services of equal cost, but since at that late notice all their spa time slots were booked, we could not use the offered voucher. The hotel treated us to our dinners and breakfasts instead and made our almost disappointing trip into a success with us feeling like we came away with an excellent deal and great service after all.
We will continue to come back to the Kingfisher, a peaceful getaway, a calm retreat and a small holiday without leaving Vancouver Island.

Room Tip: There is no elevator in the upper building, only outside stairs. If stairs are an issue ask for a gr...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Kirsten B,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your getaway with us again this year! We thank you for your praise of our staff and your detailed review of our amazing property. We were sorry to hear that your service at the Spa was not available however we are thankful that you were taken care of at the Hotel and that you still felt that you had an excellent deal and received great customer service. Thank you again Kirsten B and we look forward to welcoming you back to our Resort.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My friend and I celebrate our birthdays each summer with an overnight spa and stay package, this being our fourth summer. We have previously stayed on the second floor either in the end room or second to end room. We look forward to it each year. This year we could not get a second floor room but were put in room 116, corner room on the end of the building next to the spa. It smelled like dog urine by the juniper shrub next to the patio chair outside the door. We had to angle the chairs because of the shrub and cedar tree encroaching onto the little patio. Our view was of the pool. The hydrapath was amazing as always and Sarah, our attendant was lovely. We had Kyle serve us at lunchtime and that meal was good. Susan, our wonderful server for dinner, has been our server every year we have come. Our dinner was wonderful as always and she gave us a comp'ed birthday dessert with a candle to share. My disappointment is with the room. I was awake all night coughing , had a sore scratchy throat, and was wheezing. I took two lots of allergy medication , and was baffled as to what was wrong. I had 3 hours sleep total and that would be a generous calculation. I was so stuffed up the next morning I thought if I had my coffee outside I might feel better. We were talking to a couple of staff and discovered that all the rooms on the first or ground floor are "Pet Rooms". Needless to say I was upset by this as I am allergic to dogs and cats and apparently there was a German Sheppard dog in there before us I understood then why I was so congested and I am sure dogs relieved themselves on that shrub and that is not it's natural smell. really as I was told by staff. I told the front desk staff about my stay and especially that we should have been asked if either of us had allergies if they were being put in these first floor rooms, as we were not checking in a dog. They were sorry and put a note on our file that we can only stay on the second floor in future. That was it. They used to only have three designated rooms for animals on the first floor. I wrote a letter to the manager over two weeks ago and have received no reply. I would have expected a phone call from her with an apology considering the seriousness of this situation, nothing. So please be advised if you have allergies to animals, request a second floor room. The room was apparently the only one not updated as well. It was clean and didn't smell like dog, but you can't get all the dog hair out of everywhere, I don't care how good you are.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms have beautiful views of the gardens and the ocean. First floor all pet rooms so i...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank therese d
Kyla T, Manager at Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear therese d,

I first want to let you know that we did in fact receive your letter and as I had no other contact information such as an email address or phone number I responded to your letter immediately and sent it in the mail on July 14th, I also contacted your friend whom you had stayed with by email. I am very sorry you have not received our response however please contact myself directly either by phone or email at your earliest convenience. 250 338 1323 or kyla@kingfisherspa.com. I was very concerned about your stay and wanted to speak to you. We are all here to listen and to assist. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed one night in a standard room while on a bicycling trip and were very happy with the hotel and restaurant service (outstanding), the rooms (large, with garden and ocean view, and terrace), and we were allowed to park our bikes in our room. We had dinner at the restaurant (high end and delicious), as well as breakfast (fantastic and served outside on the ocean-view terrace). The room was large (fit the bikes easily), the beds were comfortable and the night was peaceful and quiet, lovely. I can highly recommend staying at the Kingfisher.

Room Tip: We chose the most reasonable rooms ($99 in June) for the night and were not disappointed. Ground-flo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank apaetow

Thank you apaetow for your amazing review!!! We were thrilled to know you had a relaxing time here and enjoyed your stay with us!! We agree we have a fantastic property with beautiful gardens overlooking the ocean, not a bad view anywhere! We thank you for taking the time sharing your experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights at the Kingfisher, one at the front end of our Island Joy Rides bike trip in a standard room and again on our final night in the beautiful Orca Suite. I knew ahead of time that the first night would not measure up to the last as far as the room. However, the beds were fine and our 2nd floor view, looking over the gardens onto the bay were glorious...even better than our still fabulous view from our ground floor, oceanfront suite later in the week. In the standard room, we had no problem overlooking the worn carpet on the outdoor steps up to the room.

They were very nice to allow us to use the spa to clean up after our final day of biking though we had checked out earlier. They also allowed us to leave our rental car in their large lot during our 5 days of biking.

We found dinner in the restaurant to be good, but not great after a few days of excellent cuisine.

There were a couple of missteps that I want to point out because they are easily corrected for future guests. The first had to do with check-in. I had not made our reservation myself, so I called in advance and spoke to Monica to confirm it. I was uncertain and asked if breakfast was included in my rate and she checked and said
that it was. In fact, that is why I asked her name. When we checked in, I said to the young man, "and we get breakfast, right?" He told us no. I told him about my conversation with Monica. He told me she must have been mistaken (I would have been fine with that) and added, "or you must have misheard her." I did not appreciate that at all. Whether breakfast is included is not complicated. If I took the time to make note of her name, and she, btw, was extremely friendly and warm, then you think I might have gotten the single detail to my straightforward question correct. It's not that big a deal, it just bugged me and seemed a sign of poor training. A simple, I'm so sorry you were misinformed, but it's not included in your rate, would have done very nicely.

The second issue had to do with baggage handling, or lack thereof. We were pointed in the general direction of our room. The room was on the second floor. If there was an elevator, we never found it (or were told about it). We got there and struggled with 3 large suitcases, one 60 lbs up the steps. We were never once offered the possibility of help with our bags. I found that aspect of service surprisingly lacking for a hotel of this level. It's standard at nice hotels to be asked if you need help with your luggage on check-in and check-out, and that's when there are elevators.

Finally, on our last day, our IJR package includes breakfast. However, we couldn't eat at the hotel as planned because the restaurant does not open until 8am! I don't ever think I've seen a hotel restaurant open that late. Hotels need to be ready to cater to their customers' travel, work, and activity schedules. The word that kept coming to my mind about 8am hotel breakfast was, "lazy."

If these service issues had not arisen, it would have been a 5 star experience, in spite of some areas showing their age. A little more training and polish would make the Kingfisher even more customer-friendly.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank ReviewerMaryland1

Dear ReviewerMaryland1,

Thank you for your recent review of your recent stay with us. We would like to thank you for your detail account of your stay with us. We were troubled to hear about your check in experience and any confusion that occurred we would like to apologize. We agree that we should have offered assistance with your luggage, and clearer direction at your check in. We are happy to hear we were able to keep your car here for 5 days while you enjoyed your bike trip with IJR and enjoyed our Island hospitality. We were also happy to hear that you were able to clean up after your bike tour and enjoy our spa facilities before you departed.

We have heard you regarding our Restaurant opening times and we are sorry that you were not able to enjoy breakfast with us. We understand your concerns and we will be addressing them in our managers meeting. Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us, we are continually training our team and looking at area's to improve and none of that is possible without our guests sharing their stories with us.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We could not have chosen a more rewarding late Mother's Day Spa celebration for grandma, daughter, granddaughter.
Our orca suite was clean, and nicely updated. The walkout patio offered a relaxing place for coffee, cocktails and ocean viewing.
The hydro path is an unique and wonderful experience. Grandma and I enjoyed our fabulous spa treatments. Unfortunately mom felt one of her treatments was rushed (last of the day, and the girl was looking forward to days off) and she didn't feel totally comfortable with her massage treatment. We all enjoyed our yoga class( a first for all of us).
Mom and I thought the restaurant was expensive , but absolutely phenomenal quality and creativity. Grandma however, found it hard to find something she would like, so we were glad to have the kitchen facilities in our room to prepare some simple meals on our own.
Over all, the staff all over the resort/spa were very friendly and accommodating and we felt truly pampered.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Lorreena_11

Dear Lorreena_11,

We are thrilled you enjoyed your visit to our Resort and thank you for taking the time to write a review. What a special treat having 3 generations celebrating Mother's Day! Memories were made here and we are touched you chose to spend it with us. Thank you Lorreena_11 for sharing this with us and we look forward to spending another family visit with you soon.

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed two nights at the Kingfisher. It was very relaxing with beautiful views. Enjoyed the Hydropath and a pedicure at the spa. The location was great, very peaceful yet close enough to Courtenay for whatever you need. We enjoyed the food at the restaurant and the service was very good. It was beautiful to sit out on the patio for breakfast surrounded by beautiful flowers.

• Stayed: June 2014
Kyla T, Manager at Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear grahamandjayne,

Thank you for your review of your visit to our Resort. It is wonderful news you had a relaxing time here. Our property has an amazing garden with endless flowers at every corner you turn. We are thrilled you spent two nights here with us and enjoyed our signature service the Pacific Mist Hydropath. It truly is a unique service only to us. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to our Resort!!

The Kingfisher Leadership Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Courtenay
Old House Hotel & Spa
Tigh-Na-Mara Resort
#4 of 13 in Parksville
The Villas at Crown Isle Resort
Water's Edge Shoreside Suites

Been to Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!