“Excellent staff”

Best Western The Westerly Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Courtenay
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I have been staying at the Westerly for the last month on a weekly basis for work. All the staff have been really great and Jodi has gone above and beyond to be helpful and personable. She has made the Westerly really feel like my home away from home. Thanks Staff and Jodi!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Managing O, Owner at Best Western The Westerly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Lori C

I am very glad to hear that you have decided to choose our hotel as your home away from home.
We always hear how wonderful our staff is. It is rewarding to hear that it is consistently that way!
Thank you for taking the time to tell us and potential customers what a great experience it has been for you.

There are newer reviews for Best Western The Westerly Hotel

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Went to Whiskey Fest (which included a dinner on the Friday evening and a seminar before the grand tasting on Saturday) and stayed over. We had a great time and appreciated the fine hospitality of the hotel. The staff were courteous, the room was comfortable, and the food and drink in the Flying Canoe was very satisfying. We enjoyed ourselves and look forward to Whiskey Fest 2015.

Stayed: January 2014
Managing O, Owner at Best Western The Westerly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Dear Brian M
We LOVED having someone tell us how much they enjoyed the Whiskey Fest! Thank you so much.
Our team worked really hard on the event and we felt it was a great event for the community and the island.
Please spread the word so we can keep the Whiskey Fest going. It is always nice to have a Vancouver type event right on the island!
We very much appreciated your comments regarding the rest of our hotel and pub services as well. Thank you again and please come and stay and enjoy all the outdoor activities the area has to offer!

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Exceptional staff (one even interrupted her break to help me- talk about above and beyond!), great rooms and delicious gluten-free options for breakfast (bread is the BEST gf bread I have tasted yet...I bought a loaf to take home!). Breakfast coupon is a clever method; you can use it to cover the entire continental breakfast (gf toast included) or towards the full breakfast menu. Beds were extremely comfy and quiet, as rooms are separated from main building/ restaurants. Second time I've stayed and will come back again!

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Tera W
You were very kind to take the time to write a review about our hotel, employees and breakfast options.
Thank you for complimenting our staff who were feel are our greatest asset!
I haven't had anyone mention our gluten free option before so we are glad to hear it is utilized and appreciated. I am gluten free myself and often find it impossible to get that option.
We are thrilled about everything you said in your comments.
On behalf of everyone who works hard to bring you that experience we thank you.
Please come and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Great hotel, location is amazing, staff is very friendly. Hotel has everything you need including a restaurant as well as a bar with pool tables and dart boards. Rooms are nice, balconies on all of the rooms... nothing to complain about, would definitely recommend this hotel and I will definitely be staying here again in the future.

Room Tip: Older part of the hotel backs onto a river with a bridge, noise didnt bother you but to some it may...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Managing O, Owner at Best Western The Westerly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Dear rdrisc92
Thank you for taking time to write about our hotel and mentioning all it has to offer.
The pub and lounge with the pool tables offer entertainment and great food options
without having to leave the property and worry about driving.
Very happy you liked the room and the balcony to sit out on.
Good luck with the house hunting and please come and stay again with us.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

I have stayed at the hotel when visiting my grandchildren in Courtenay. I always look forward to the chance to visit them and then retire to a clean,quiet room in the evening.
They love it when I invite them to come and swim in the lovey pool. It is like being in a spa.
I have found the staff to be very professional, friendly and helpful. I enjoyed the lovely complimentary breakfasts.
I look forward to many more stays at the Best Western Plus in Courtemay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Becky

We are so glad that our hotel makes your visits with family fun. There is nothing better than treating Grand Children to a swim in the pool!
Thanks also for complimenting our staff. They are the best in the Valley and we hear over and over again how pleasant and helpful they are.
Please come again soon and enjoy!

Reviewed 15 January 2014

I was here on a business and was travelling with my large dog. It is hard to find a pet-friendly hotel, so I chose the first one I could find in this small town. I was surprised when I arrived and saw how nice it was outside. The lobby and lounge area are also very nice for a low cost hotel. I was surprised that there was such a nice INDOOR pool and hot tub. It made my stay more enjoyable. The food at the pub was amazing -I highly recommend the Cumberland Pie.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Hi Melisa
Wow! I can't thank you enough for your positive and complimentary comments that you made regarding our hotel!
We try as hard as we can in every way to earn a compliment like yours. It makes our day!!
We can't wait for you to come back.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Although we travel regularly, I've never written felt compelled to spend the time to write a review, but our stay this weekend was so disappointing I felt compelled to warm other families. Perhaps had I been able to read a review from another family we could have avoided this weekend and stayed elsewhere. When we opened the door to the room we were all hit by a strong unpleasant odor. As it was late, we felt it best to stay and hope the smell would dissipate with the bathroom fan running. Not so - we were kept awake by the overwhelming smell. In the morning, we advised the front desk, and asked that if housekeeping couldn't remove the stench then we'd need to move. The bathroom tap had mold under the plastic. Arriving back at dinner-time, and walking through a hallway smelling strongly of cigarette smoke (non-smoking floor??) we were once again hit by the horrid smell upon entering. No message from the front desk. We had to call the front desk twice before we were given a new room. They agreed it smelled horrible, that they would shut down the room, and that it could be because they rent rooms to students on the first floor (we were on the third) and the ventilation system was not working. No apologies were offered, and we were only given a refund of that night because we insisted. It was so pervasive we had to have my daughter's stuffed animals laundered (done by the hotel staff). Our clothing still smells of it, and we've had to wash everything. The second night was no better - we were woken up every hour by loud voices, groups of people talking very loudly in the hallways, and much foul language. Other guests outside in the morning asked us if we'd heard the noise overnight too. They had apparently also heard loud voices all night, and people were "falling down" outside their doors. Also, although we're dog-lovers, we were shocked to see dogs on the third floor. Not very professional, hygienic or respectful to guests who may have allergies. At check-out, we were asked to "wait", and after many minutes, a staff member came out and began to explain the reason for not moving us. No apologies offered. In short - the management of this establishment needs to decide whether to offer a cut-rate drinking establishment/youth-hostel, or a professional/family accommodation. As it is, families should run, not walk, from this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay clear - don't take a chance on what we experienced.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank M K
Corinne B, Manager at Best Western The Westerly Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Thank you your comments regarding your recent stay at our property.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. At Best Western we strive every day to provide a superior customer experience. I am sorry we weren’t able to do that for you. We will use the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we provide a better experience in the future.

Whenever we receive feedback from guests in house we try to rectify the situation and provide options to our guests during their stay.

While you were here we took care of your first night, we did move you for your second night when you returned to the hotel later in the afternoon. You had mentioned when you came down to the desk first thing in the morning before the housekeeping staff had come on shift to let us know that there was a food smell in the room that you would be gone for most of the day. The front desk agent did try and call your room a few times throughout the day just in case you returned early and before she got off shift as she wanted to make sure you got moved to another room because we couldn’t get rid of the food odor. When you returned back to the hotel and called down to the desk, the evening front desk agent did look into the situation and called you back to let you know that we would comp the last night and she personally came and moved you from one room to the other, she also offered to wash your child’s stuffed animals as you had mentioned that they smelled and she also brought them back up to you when they were ready. We are sorry that you didn’t mention to us at check out about the noise compliant you had from the second night, I was the Manager that came out to speak with you the morning of your departure because I wanted to personally apologize once again on behalf of the team but you decided to leave abruptly without wanting to speak to me. We only had one compliant about noise the night before and we rectified it right away, we do need our customers to let us know when there is an issue at the time so we are able to address it while it is taking place.

Please note once again that your feedback is very valuable to us and we really appreciate you spending the time to provide us with this information. We will use your feedback for future training of our entire staff.

Please consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with superior service. You can reach me directly at 250-331-4008.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Courtenay
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Courtenay Comox Valley SW
Travelodge Courtenay BC
Travelodge Courtenay BC
#6 of 9 in Courtenay
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa

Been to Best Western The Westerly Hotel? Share your experiences!