“Quiet and spacious”

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Courtenay
Calgary
“Quiet and spacious”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Spacious, well appointed villa with easy access to pub and nearby walking trails. We had a view of the forest - if we stayed again, we would try to get a villa facing the golf course. The Crown Isle property is beautiful...a real oasis from the bustling town of Courtenay.

Room Tip: If you have any kind of gift certificate (especially from Costco) ensure you can use it before you m...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Port Coquitlam
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I attended a conference at the resort. The rooms were really nice - lots of space - comfortable bed, nicely stocked kitchen and spacious bathroom with extras like jacuzzi tub, double head shower, double sinks, and tons of towels. Our room was very clean and maintained throughout our stay. Perhaps it was because the whole resort was booked for the business conference with mostly single people in each room, I did not experience any problems that others on this site reported. My stay was very quiet and staff were very helpful and professional. Food was set up buffet style and staff were quick to clear plates. I golfed at the resort and it was first class. Couse in excellent shape. Beautiful layout and scenery, some deer on one of the holes, and great pace - 4 hours to play. The marshall was very friendly. I would come back again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Barb N
Sherwood Park, Canada
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We went to the crown isle for a company retirement reunion and golf tournament. The facilities were excellent. Food was very good and reasonable. The room was comfortable and clean. We didn't golf but heard the course was very nice.

qb
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We were looking for a quiet weekend where we could recharge from a very hectic summer but the universe had different ideas. I had never thought of it this way, but people's concern about room cleanliness, (other than basic hygiene) is partly about the illusion that this place, this room is new and just for you. When we walked into our room, we were very impressed by the spaciousness, cleanliness, furnishings, etc. We explored and were continued to be pleased until we opened the big kitchen pantry room and were overwhelmed by what we took to be a strong smell of dope. We laughed about it at the time, but now I see that our illusions were cracked by the reminder that others had very recently been in this space. Later we found that the fireplace in the bedroom did not work. The front desk staff responded promptly and tried 2 times and for quite a while to get it to work without success. It was a Saturday of a long weekend and the maintenance people were off until Tuesday. They offered to try and find us another room but it didn't sound hopeful and we had little desire to go through the hassle of moving so we stayed put. The cracks in our illusions widened. Then at 3am, the drunken neighbours returned from the wedding and their tromping up and down the stairs (avoid getting a middle floor room as you can hear everything that goes up/down the stairs), bumping and thumping in their room, plumbing noises, the sounds of throwing up followed by sex and so on until after 5 pretty much left our illusions in tatters. That was the first 12 hours of our stay.
Unfortunately I could go on at much more length about the neighbours but you get the picture.
If you have a similar situation, I would recommend you bring it to the attention of management more quickly than we did. For once we did, we were taken care of quite well and find that our illusions are healing and we would certainly come back.

Room Tip: Choose a top floor villa to avoid noise from people above you. Middle floor room you can hear those...
1 Thank qbtraveller
Reviewed 9 September 2013

My husband and I came to the Crown Isle Resort to attend a wedding. We did not golf, and therefore cannot say anything about that except the course was beautiful. When we arrived at the resort, we went to the front desk. We asked them about some gift certificates we had purchased at Costco. We were quickly told that we were not allowed to use these certificates as we were part of a group rate for the wedding. This was unfortunate, but understandable. The problem was the tone in which the lady at the front desk used and how aggressive she became over the fact that we had the cards and would not let us ask any further questions. After we got our room cards, we were a little annoyed at how we were spoken to, but proceeded to our room. I was so excited to stay at this hotel as I had heard great things and was expecting a great room. What a disappointment! Our room was small, with no full length mirror or mini fridge, lacking in ambiance. For the prince of $130, which was the discounted rate for the group event, we were expecting a little more. Our friends who were staying in a suite for only $20 over the regular price of the room we had, had a jacuzzi and a whole kitchen. I can say the beds were comfortable and the bathtub was a good size.

While waiting for the wedding to start we went over to the suite of one of our friends to find another group of our friends camping out there as well. We were told that the hotel had no record of their reservation. The hotel told them they were 100% full and there was nothing they could do. My friend stated, I called in the beginning of June, gave my credit card # and I am now on your emailing list. The front desk said the only way she would be on their emailing list was if she had reserved a room. And basically called my friend a liar. My husband and I offered our friend to stay in our room as we had 2 beds and she is 6 months pregnant and her only other option was to stay on another friends couch. Needless to say she was very upset that there was no reservation and that the hotel staff didn't seem to care, and did not offer to call other hotels in the area to try and find her a place to stay. Another guest at the wedding also didn't have a room because the hotel staff and booked them in for the following week.

Now to the wedding. The hotel had 3 weddings there that day, so it would seem as though they did weddings often and would be well equipped and ready for these things. Unfortunately, they do not have the proper signs to let other guest know a wedding is in progress, and they do not have staff there to ensure other guests are being loud and disrupting the wedding. Therefore during the ceremony there were some rowdy golfers that we as guest had to sush. Then there was the reception. The room was quite small, but as there were three weddings that day it may have been the only option. Our complaint is mostly with the service. We were sitting at the head table and there were about 40 guests, so not a big wedding. The servers would come around and clear plates but would never come and ask if we wanted our water filled. We would have to virtually beg them to fill up our water glasses. 2 of us at the head table are pregnant, and therefore water is our drink of choice. When we did ask for them for more water we got, "yep" as the response and several minutes later we got our water. I would think that the treatment from a resort would be a lot better than this, and that the bride would be able to get water as well without having to hunt someone down. Also, during dinner I went out to get a second helping of salad, and there were no more plates. I asked a wait staff for some more plates and she said she would get some. I watched her walk away, and then chit chat with a colleague, slowly walk away and came back out with plates, then watched her joke and laugh with another colleague and slowly walked back up to where I and other guests had been waiting. She then said, "here's your plates" and slammed them on the table. This was another thing I would think a resort that does weddings would be monitoring, if at a buffet table there were no plates. On a good note, the bartender was wonderful says my husband. She went above and beyond to get him a special glass and special whiskey. The food was satisfactory.

The next day we went for breakfast at the pub in the hotel. The food was good but service was very slow. We were lucky enough to be able to use some of the gift certificates we had toward our breakfast and some drinks my husband had had the night before. Overall I was severely disappointed in the service we received and the attitude of the staff. My husband and I are very happy and easy going people, who both work in customer service, and I was shocked at how this weekend that was supposed to be fun and relaxing ended up being frustrating and a let down. We will not be returning. I would not recommend Crown Isle Resort to my family or friends, or any future brides.

Room Tip: If you must go, take a room with a jacuzzi. There are much better than the average rooms which are...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Grayj3
CrownResort, Manager at The Villas at Crown Isle Resort, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
Thank you for your comments. They have been distributed to our management team for their review, however, I did want to comment on a couple of your issues.
The discount voucher you referenced does have clearly printed on the voucher that it is not valid for the type of discounted room booking you had made. With a wedding of this nature, a designated number of rooms, of various styles and prices, are blocked for wedding guests to pre book on a first come basis. Guests calling to make their booking are given the choice of rooms available at time of booking along with a description of each of the rooms, to allow them to make an informed decision. A confirmation email is also sent to the guest which shows the confirmation number and along with other information, another brief description of the room. Not sure what else can be done to ensure the guest has an understanding of the room they have selected. The room was a standard room with two queen beds, TV, Internet, Coffee/Tea, Air conditioner, bathroom and a patio overlooking the first tee, at a special rate of $129. There is a large mirror in the unit, unfortunately it was not a full length mirror.
As indicated, we do review every booking with the guest before completing our booking, and then an email confirmation is immediately sent to the guest for their review to ensure we have gotten all the details correct. If the guest does not indicate or advise us of incorrect information with the booking, we accept the booking as correct. Every guest making a booking is given the confirmation number, either verbally and/or via the confirmation email. Upon presentation of this number, we are able to verify the type of guest reservation. If a guest is unable to give us a reservation number, does not recall receiving a confirmation email, and their name is not in our reservation system, then it is fair to assume they have not made a reservation.
Again, thank you for your comments
Canada
Reviewed 7 September 2013

This was our 2nd stay at the Crown Isle. We were in a lovely 1 bedroom King suite with a great view of the 1st fairway. Suite was very clean and beautifully appointed...full kitchen, fabulous bathroom with multi-head shower and double sinks, jacuzzi tub in bedroom. There is a double sided fireplace but didn't use it as it was too warm. Golf course is top notch and clubhouse is lovely...had especially great service from our server Shanna!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JLyn27
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Excelent accomodation with glorious views across the golf course and towards the glacier. The room was luxurious and well-stocked. Everything we needed was right there and the staff were professional, helpful and friendly. We will definitley go back.

Room Tip: Corner suite overlooking the greens was quiet and large.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Courtenay
Old House Hotel & Spa
Old House Hotel & Spa
#1 of 9 in Courtenay
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Courtenay Comox Valley SW
Best Western The Westerly Hotel
Prestige Oceanfront Resort, BW Premier Collection
Port Augusta Inn and Suites
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa

Been to The Villas at Crown Isle Resort? Share your experiences!