“World class blues in Courtenay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #36 of 139 Restaurants in Courtenay
Price range: US$6 - US$19
Cuisines: International, American, Bar, Pub, Canadian
Good for: Cheap Eats, Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Courtenay, Canada
“World class blues in Courtenay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

Last night we were treated to great music at the Flying Canoe Pub at the Westerly Hotel. The pub brought in a fantastic blues duo (Diana ? And Chris Whiteley). Absolutely as good as any blues I have ever heard live anywhere including Chicago. The room was packed. Staff had set tables with white table cloths, and we're dressed up themselves creating a really nice dinner theatre atmosphere. And the food was excellent. Prime rib was the special and looked really good but I had heard the pub had a old school traditional sushi chef on board and tried that instead. I was fully impressed by my food. I have not had better sushi anywhere, best sushi in the valley in my opinion.
I hope that the staff continues to bring in quality acts like this one, I will be back for sure.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Chris K

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Burgers!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

This Pub is part of The Best Western - Westerly Hotel. I read the previous review on the burger and had to post my review.

The burger was made in house (not the plastic garbage you get at fast food chains). Yes, it only had the one Patty (not Paddy) but that being said it was almost an inch thick! I opted for the fully loaded which had tomatoes, lettuce, red onion, bacon, cheese and mushrooms. Fries were plentiful and lovely and crisp but I could have also opted for salad with my choice of dressing or today's soup, at no extra cost. Needless to say - I couldn't finish the whole thing, which came to $14. I had a $7 voucher to use as part of the Hotel's guest choice program, so for me, this was exceptional food and value for money. I also photoigraphed my lunch before I tucked in so see for yourself.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Marie S
Courtenay, Canada
“Poor value here, drink but don't eat here.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

We went to this place because i had received some points cards redeemable at this pub. Would never eat here again. We both had the "Flying Canoe best burger in the whole valley". For value at $14 each, it came with single hamburger paddy, and a few fries on the plate. Definitely not the best burger . Not even as good as a Whopper at Burger King for $3.50.
Go here to watch sports and some beers. Expect Poor quality food at high prices.

• Visited March 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Victoria, Canada
“Beer and Pizza”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

My wife and I decided on an informal dinner, found this and liked it. TV's overhead and decor typical of most pubs but service and food very good. Pizza was awesome, the young lady that served us was right on the ball. We enjoyed. You will too.

Visited March 2014
Comox, Canada
“Great night out with friends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

We went out to the flying canoe with friends on a saturday night, and had a great time! They had a really good variety of drink specials at the best prices I've seen in the Comox Valley. And when we needed snacks to go with our drinks they also had some deliciously addictive deep fried pickles, my new favourite bar food! They had the UFC playing on the big screen with no cover charge, which the guys really enjoyed. Then after the fights it turns into a dance bar, it was the first time I was there to watch the place transition, an interesting night!

• Visited February 2014