“Avoid this property”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Courtenay
Arbutus Pacific Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Courtenay
“Avoid this property”
Reviewed 18 June 2005

My room was broken into and I had my camera and flash stolen. I reported it to the RCMP. Todate (June 05) the ownership and HoJo International have stonewalled my demands for a resolution to this matter.

The management appears to have little interest in building a relationship with the travelling public.

• Stayed January 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Families
Couples
Solo
Business
Courtenay
Reviewed 20 March 2005

We have lived in Courtenay, British Columbia on Vancouver Island for the past twenty years and I’m horrified every time I go past the Howard Johnson Arbutus Hotel. Howard Johnson took over this hotel a few years ago and I can’t understand why. This hotel is a dive! It’s known for it’s pub that’s pretty gross, and not much else. The rooms above the pub are just there for the drunk patrons of the bar. I would always think of the poor traveler that would come to Courtenay and think because Howard Johnson’s name is on it, it must be a nice hotel. Well be warned, it’s not! It’s about one step above sleeping on the streets. And on a beautiful summer night in Courtenay, I think the street would be better. If you are going to stay in Courtenay the only hotels I would recommend would be the Coast Westerly Hotel, The Kingfisher Inn or The Crowne Isle Resort and Golf. The Coast Westerly is a medium priced hotel with the Kingfisher and Crowne Isle being of the expensive variety. For less expensive motels, the Enco motel or the Travelodge are exceptable places. Courtenay on Vancouver Island is a beautiful place to visit, and you wouldn’t want to ruin your trip with a stay at the Howard Johnson Arbutus Hotel.

40 Thank CourtenayCrowd

Travellers are raving about these Courtenay hotels

Reviewed 5 September 2004

Booked into the hotel in August 2004 for Nautical Days from Calgary. I had taken a flight into Comox but had to take a taxi to the hotel. It was rather late at night when I had arrived but when I entered the lobby, I found the staff to be to very friendly. I was helped up to my room, which was only a few flights of stairs to a comfortable but neat room. The next morning, I went down to the lobby, asked for instructions on tourist spots. The staff were helpful and before I knew it, I was on my way out the door to enjoy my vacation with a full list of places to go. When it was time for me to leave the valley, I was delighted by the price of the room and how helpful the staff were with my bags.

I will definately have to remember to visit this hotel next year when I come back to the valley.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 March 2004

Booked at the Howard Johnson Courtney Feb 28, 2004. Since I had never been to Courtney I thought I would stay with a chain. since we would be arriving late. Wow what a mistake! First off it was a bad sign when the location was in the old part of the town, then the lobby smelled of mildew, and was filthy. I had my elderly mother with me, so we checked in, and asked about the elevator...they stated it was not working, but they would help us to our room with our bags...was not feeling good about this place but it was late and I thought, well it was just one night....we climbed three flights of stairs, and it was obvious that the elevator had not worked in some time as it was taped closed and the tape was brown with age. We arrived at our room, and opened the door..and you would not believe the filth....the mattress was standing up against the wall and all stained, there was cigarette butts on the floor, as well as trash emptied from a trash can, and the dresser was in the middle of the room with all the drawers pulled out. The clerk apoligized and said she was mistaken and thought the room was made up...needless to stay, we got a refund, and stayed at the Travelodge, that was small but clean, cheaper, and had a great breakfast in the morning.

15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Courtenay
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Courtenay Comox Valley SW
#8 of 9 in Courtenay
Travelodge Courtenay BC
Travelodge Courtenay BC
#6 of 9 in Courtenay

Been to Arbutus Pacific Hotel? Share your experiences!