“You must stay here if you are in Courtenay!”

Lake Trail Guesthouse
Lake Trail Guesthouse
Ranked #9 of 15 Courtenay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Staying at Lake Trail Guesthouse was a unique and thoroughly enjoyable experience! The owner Bonnie is extremely friendly, welcoming and generous and went out of her way to help us enjoy our stay. The bonfires in the evening and the dogs (aka our trail tour guides!) were also very loveable! The river is a short walk away and the surrounding wilderness is part of what makes staying at the guesthouse special. The rooms are comfortable, and it is possible to socialise or have your privacy depending on what you prefer. The nearby town is a short drive away if you are worried about being too far away from civilisation! I would highly recommend this guesthouse to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Bonnie is a great host and her dogs are the best trail guides ever!! Bed was comfy, private room was pretty big, kitchen is great, bathroom is clean, all was great! My favourite part was the bonfire at night and the next day walk with Blue, Lady, and Mitch (the dogs). I was alone so these dogs were great company in making me feel safe on trail. At one point two of them ran into the woods barking and that kind of freaked me out because I have no idea what was in there, but it assured me that these guides were doing a great job of protecting me!

Again I need to mention how great Bonnie is. When I left and got to comox airport I realized that I had left my cell phone plugged in the kitchen. I immediately called Bonnie from the airport and she assured me that she found it and that she would send it by mail. And she did! It arrived in a bubble wrap enveloppe with some stuffing and in one piece! Phew! Thanks Bonnie, I owe you!!

Room Tip: Must like dogs!! Her dogs are cuddly and awesome!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 May 2013

This has got to be the best guesthouse I have ever stayed at, the host Bonnie was amazing, couldn't of asked for more from her. The location was by far the best I have ever had in a guesthouse, wake up in the morning and look over a beautiful landscape of mountains and forests, you fall asleep to the sound of frogs (if you sleep with your window open) and wake up to the sound of birds. Also at the guesthouse are some beautiful trails to go walking on along the glacier fed river so it is crystal clear and you will also be led on these trails by a couple of Bonnies trusty pooches I advise lots of fuss for these but be gentle with the older ones. I would advise to anyone that wants a quite out of the way trip in the middle of nature, if your lucky you might get to spot the bears (we didn't unfortunately), thank you to Bonnie for been an amazing host.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 May 2013

unique little peace of paradise.
this place is awesome so peaceful located about 10 min drive from the well equipped town of courtenay and 10 mins to cumberland which is a lovely quaint little village. only 30 mins to mt washington ski resort too!
The rooms are lovely and clean and very comfortable. Heating is in every room and facilities all kept to a high standard. Kitchen has everything you need if not more!
I stayed with bonnie for a couple of weeks and was made to feel at home instantly the bonfire gatherings were amazing and you really feel you can let your hair down and enjoy the peaceful surrounding in the wilderness.
the trails are beautiful walks down to comox lake or the waterfalls the river is a wide slow glacier rivers which provide much entertainment in the warm summer months, a floatie and a beer is all you need!
this place may only be a guesthouse but you wont get anywhere near this type of experience in any hotel anywhere.
I adore this place and the host and would highly recommend it for any family traveler or holidayer! a must see!!! I will revisit over and over!

Room Tip: all rooms are well equipped and comfortable, if you have any room requirements let bonnie know on bo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I have visiting many guesthouses and Lake Trail Guesthouse was for me the closest to feel home. The hostess, Bonnie, is fantastic. She is always ready to help and make sure you feel welcome. The rooms are clean. It is good value for money. In addition, the surroundings are just gorgeous. Trails, lake, glacier, river, and mountains are bringing magic to the stay. Then, there is nothing better to finish a day of outdoors that having a drink by the campfire.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 September 2012

This place is in a quiet location with great walking trails along the river nearby. Although only 10 mins drive from town, we felt as if we were in the middle of nowhere.

The owner, Bonnie, is lovely, welcoming and kind. She made an effort to get everyone together around the bonfire each night for some home made wine! She was also very generous with her abundant apples, be sure to try as many different varieties as you can!

The hostel is really a couple of small houses, and as such the kitchen could be a little small if there were more than 2 people trying to cook at the same time. Our room was nice and comfortable, although the bed did fall apart and we had to fix it!

We particularly enjoyed listening out for the local bears, although we didn't see any! It was also great to read about the fascinating history of the abandoned town on which this hostel now stands. There is a great DVD library in the comfortable lounge. Comox lake nearby is lovely, and we got a glimpse of the impressive Comox glacier.

While we were there, there was a 'Wild West' style shooting competion at the nearby shooting club - for Brits like us, this was a real treat to see everyone dressed up practising their shooting! Worth a look.

This place is very old fashioned and a bit shabby, but the price was fair. If you're looking for somewhere welcoming and quiet on a budget, you could do far worse.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GermanShepherdDog
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I recently stayed here for 4 days while I was in courtenay diving and found this a great little place. It is out of town and great if you want to be away from the noise. There are many great biking/walking trails, also there is a nearby beach and falls. The owner bonnie is great, very kind and accommodating. There always seems to be an eclectic mix of people coming and going, which makes for a great time if you are travelling solo, some interesting conversations are to be had. The price is great, people are great. It is not the hilton, but everything is clean and functional, and for the price, I feel the value is VERY good!! I will definitely stay here again when I come back to dive, really glad I found this place!!!! OH if you don't like dogs, don't stay here, there are four or five dogs here. They don't bother you, but again they are dogs and can't be avoided all together!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank scootermp
Also consider these accommodations in or near Courtenay
Old House Hotel & Spa
Old House Hotel & Spa
#1 of 10 in Courtenay
Port Augusta Inn and Suites
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Courtenay Comox Valley SW
Best Western The Westerly Hotel
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
Beach House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Lake Trail Guesthouse? Share your experiences!