“Day at the Spa”

Old House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Courtenay
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 15 April 2014

When we arrived, our check in was quick and convenient. There was one other reservation checking in but another clerk came to assist us right away. Once we arrived in our room we were pleasantly greeted by a specious and well appointed 2 bedroom suite with a balcony overlooking the pool and hottub area. The onsite restaurant Locals, across the way was nicely landscaped and in the bright Spring day we were immediately 'on our mini vacation'. Two small items we noticed due to the sun shining in were addressed immediately by housekeeping and maintenance. We enjoyed a swim prior to our spa app'ts and although we had planned on using our kitchen suite, at the last minute we decided to go to the restaurant without reservations. We were promptly served and seated within 5 minutes. I loved my king sized bed and the attached ensuite although, I did find the bed to be overly hard.

If I was to be honest about my Spa experience, I would add that my app't was late enough to ask (I was not wearing my watch) although I was asked to be 15 minutes early. There was a wedding party booked in so my app't was tight and I was not able to coordinate with another service I was hoping for (this was my fault) but having said that, it appeared to me that the lounge area was actually a mini 'shower' as they were allowed snacks and beverages from offsite and were socializing in a way that was not very relaxing to other guests. The wedding party were taken to their app'ts and others were left to take over the space so that other spa guests had to sit outside in the hallway chairs. I was happy enough for the wedding party to enjoy their spa time, just not all the guests that came with who I don't think were having spa app'ts. Most spa menus request no cells and quietude prior to their app'ts so this seemed contrary.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel as it is positioned beside a meandering river which entertained us with kayakers and local birds as well as a lovely pathway walk to the airpark and back after our late dinner.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,038)

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I completely agree with a previous review that mentioned the scented laundry and cleaning products and stuffy rooms. The hotel itself is clean and very comfortable, great location and excellent friendly staff but I have tried staying in this hotel on my frequent business trips to the area and always end up sleeping on the couch with the window open. I always request a room with an opening window or balcony. The hotel entrance from the underground parking is next to the laundry room so the hallway has strong synthetic fragrance scent from the laundry products that are used.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I stay at the Old House Village Hotel twice a year, 4 days at a time, while on business. The staff is friendly and helpful. The suite is clean, and the beds comfortable. I like the space the suites afford you, and the well appointed kitchen. I have taken advantage of the spa specials many times, and it has been a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 March 2014

The hotel is very nice and clean. The location is not the best though but lots of amenities around (Safeway, Starbucks, liquor store, etc). The hotel has two separate buildings and only building one has a pool, so that can be an inconvenience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Alex G
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Yes a good relaxing massage is a necessity in life. Mentally and physically.
The lady I had was wonderful. Throughout the routine she explained step by step.
Also included is the use of the pool. Middle of March, Sun shining down, +10, outside using the hot tub and cooling off in the pool that was kept at a comfortable temperature. Great place, great service.

Room Tip: Bring a bathing suit and use the pool before treatment., don't want to wash off all the nice oil...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Enjoyed a couple's night in the Old House Hotel and Spa in Courtenay. It was a rainy grey weekend and we enjoyed the fireplace in the room, although the remote control for it did not work so we had to find the hidden panel to turn it on and off manually. The room was a good size, the bed comfy and the place clean. Check in was a bit frantic, as the school term spring break was on and the hotel seemed quite busy. We enjoyed the balcony overlooking the outdoor pool which was very busy with happy kids and families. We had a massage for two in the attached spa which was relaxing and enjoyable. The spa also seemed busy and could have used a seating area to 'hold' us in while they sorted everybody out, instead of keeping us at the counter, but...no big deal. This was part of our hotel get-away package. We also received a $50 dinner gift certificate good at a number of restaurants in town, and choose Local's Restaurant on site. We had a very good meal from their fresh, local ingredient menu. In the morning we enjoyed the continental breakfast just off the lobby. Not much of selection, but a muffin and some coffee did the trick. We enjoyed our little vacation at the Old House!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We stayed in a studio which was ok for the night. Nothing special though. The bed was comfortable and we had a good night's sleep. Liked that they have a spa. Had a regular manicure and pedicure which cost me $100+. A bit steep but I guess that's what you pay here. Appreciated the fast and free wifi.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Courtenay
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Courtenay Comox Valley SW
Coast Bastion Hotel
#2 of 18 in Nanaimo
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
The Villas at Crown Isle Resort

Been to Old House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!